Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We walk the walk but do we talk the talk?

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Just out of curiosity (and because I'm crazy for linguistics and, of course, the Golden Age), do you also use the language of the era? The slang, the vocabulary, the speech patterns? What were some of the fun words and phrases of the day? I'd love to add more old-fashioned phrases to my language to top off the look, and to get crazy looks from people (like that doesn't happen already :)).

*throws arms up* Discuss!

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Hmm, I'll have to think about those for a bit, I'm sleepy now....

... But my Maga (grandmum) and her sisters grew up in the Forties... and they've always called a guy who... *ahem* "gets around"... as "on active duty."

Me: Ooh, that guy over there is kinda cute...
Maga: Who? Oh, Linda's grandson? Oh... well dear, he's *knowing eyebrow raise* on active duty.... lol lol lol

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
There's one I know I use.

When giving good wishes on a lady's engagement or wedding, you use "best wishes". You say, "congratulations" to the groom.

Don't ask me why. I don't know.

My mother succeeded in drumming that one into my skull.
If only the etiquette for hats and gloves had stuck....:rolleyes:

Rafter

Suspended
LizzieMaine said:
It still jars me when one of the 16-year-olds behind the popcorn counter calls me "dude." But me -- do I talk the talk? I'll tell the world!

OK, "How's about "duchess".

BTW Lizzie, you're lookin' "swell" in your Avatar!

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
i do to a certain extent:

i use the phrase "What the Sam Hill" a lot (blame "It's a Wonderful Life") and whenever i receive a FAX, I always say "something just came over the wire"

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
SpitfireXIV said:
...and whenever i receive a FAX, I always say "something just came over the wire"
That's Great! :eusa_clap Hope you don't mind if I use that.

I like "It's all good", from the 40s at least. (Sure beats today's "That's the Shizzle!" lol )

Liz

I like to add the suffix of "ville" to lots of words, just like Kookie on 77 Sunset Strip -- i.e. "That garage sale was strictly boresville." Whenever I really like something, I say it's the maximum utmost or the absolute ultimate.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
SpitfireXIV said:
i do to a certain extent:

i use the phrase "What the Sam Hill" a lot (blame "It's a Wonderful Life") and whenever i receive a FAX, I always say "something just came over the wire"

I actually know a Sam Hill. I am more amused by his name than I ought to be. lol

--Leslie

Novella

Practically Family
I don't use it, but I saw two silent films that had characters saying Applesauce! in the sense of poppycock. I like it. And how! is another of my favorites. I would use them, but when I'm talking they just don't come to mind. Same with swell.

Grace

Vendor
My mothers father used to say 'Well, I'll be dipped in rosey red turkey sh*t'. Not sure how era appropriate that is, but I use it.

I really like the 'on active duty' bit. That's great! lol

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Upon nearly being killed whilst merging onto the interstate, I apparently shouted "You, sir, are a maniac!" to the immense amusement of my passenger. :rolleyes:

dnjan

One Too Many
I regularly use the term "ice box". Confused my daughter for years.

Also, we have a "deep freeze" in the basement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo