Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a fez

hargist

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know the proper way to wear a fez? A friend just gave me one and upon inspection I noticed a seam where the felt joins on the outside of the hat. The tassel is pinned down in such a way that it naturally falls in front of the seam, thereby hiding it.

Since I can wear it any way I want on my head (there is nothing inside the hat to tell me which part is the back), where should the tassel be located? On the left, right, or does it matter?

interlocutor

New in Town
hargist said:
I definitely scored, but I thought you told me that a friend gave you a fez. :eusa_doh:

I believe he specifies a fez "that fits", as he's started a thread about how to stretch the one in question.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
hargist said:
Does anyone know the proper way to wear a fez? A friend just gave me one and upon inspection I noticed a seam where the felt joins on the outside of the hat. The tassel is pinned down in such a way that it naturally falls in front of the seam, thereby hiding it.

Since I can wear it any way I want on my head (there is nothing inside the hat to tell me which part is the back), where should the tassel be located? On the left, right, or does it matter?

I bought a proper one years ago at Disney world in FLA where they have a reproduction Fez city as an exhibit. I seem to remember the tassel flops forward. Interestingly I had a friend who visited a seer years ago before he met me. He predicted that he would meet a great friend/soul mate who wore a fez. Years later after he gets to know me as a neighbour he sees me wearing the one I bought at Disney world for a fancy dress party! Uncanny huh? He and his wife and my wife have become great lifelong type friends.

hargist

One of the Regulars
Twitch said:
Sorry for the forthcoming stupid question, but where in public would one wear a fez outside of of Masonic activities?

I'm attending something called Mondo Lounge Atomic Frolic in Las Vegas at the end of the month. According to the website (http://www.mondoatomic.com):

"Mondo Lounge Atomic Frolic is the Ultimate Retro Party and Conference. The event is themed around the lifestyle and culture of America from 1957 to 1963 & will bring together fans of Retro Fashion, Tiki, Exotica Music, Car Culture, Bachelor Pad Living, Pin-Ups, Swing Scene, Vintage Las Vegas Rat Pack era."

Seems to me to be the perfect opportunity to wear a fez!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Twitch said:
Sorry for the forthcoming stupid question, but where in public would one wear a fez outside of of Masonic activities?

I visited Fez, Morocco a few years ago. A lot of people
wore them outside there.

hargist

One of the Regulars
cookie said:
I seem to remember the tassel flops forward.

Pictures I've seen also have the tassel forward, but I wonder if it matters on which side it hangs (left or right). Maybe it doesn't. It just seems like the kind of thing that might have some hidden meaning to the uninitiated.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Twitch said:

http://www.sotd.org/

1090650346_small-image_543_laurelhardy_sons_of_the_desert_1947_sm.jpg

Topper

Vendor
If memory serves me right. Either to the left of the right the tassel because in the end no matter which side you put it the wind will blow it back or to the other side :eek: .

The tassel was for blokes, i believe the origin of the headwear was that the womenfolk wore one without a tassel as traditional dress.

Doh!

One Too Many
Merlin said:
Ask a Shriner?

Most if not all of the Shriner fezzes (fezi?) on eBay have the tassel on the left. I wonder if it's like having the bow of the ribbon on a fedora on the left...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran