Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Went on holidays and all I got was this plastic wrapped Spitfire!

J. M. Stovall said:
Great picture! And who said nobody had beards in the Golden era!

Well, old George (V, VI, i forget ... 24 hours at work makes me sleepy) had a beard. Helped with his manly resistance to the Germans. Tony, yer Da does seem to have the old kingly 'tache going on there.

Every photo of your father from this era is great (he was an RAF mechanic, right?).

bk

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not quite, he was a design engineer at Supermarine. The airplane in the background is a Spitfire Mk VI, a high altitude photographic reconnaissance version. He was in charge of converting the airplane to a pressurized cabin for the higher altitude. It became the first operational military pressurized aircraft in the world.

He started his engineering career as a draughtsman in the era of fabric covered flying boats, and ended up doing design work on spacecraft.

I just wish some of that geinus had rubbed off on me, or some of his drive. You see, he did all this after completely losing his hearing after a motorcycle accident at age 19.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic