Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I get alot of customers who want the stains added and also get alot that do not want the stains added.
I do like to see stains on a western, but real stains, not painted ones, for example I do love the American hat company Renault uses to do fence work.

I just want to say that Joao will call the posse out on me because I had a big western cut down to fedora size a few years ago. I had a Stetson No 1 Quality from the 50s with a 3-1/2 inch brim and I turned it into an Open Road-styled fedora. Yes, I did this even though I am the one saying altering a vintage hat is a bad idea... but it WAS a 50s Stetson western and those are a dime a dozen.
Can't do nothing about it. If you find a dozen for a dime like the one you trimmed, tell me :)

majormoore

Vendor
My stains are not painted on, l was taught how do distress from several ward robe companies that work with the major motion picture world.

Major Moore

majormoore

Vendor
They have to be done that way in order to meet the requirements that is needed for a movie, there is no way they can find all the hats needed for the man actors and their stunt doubles, so they have to add the stains and make the new clothes also to have the same aged look.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I think the only thing out of context is the shape - a hat with genuine stains would also look quite a bit disheveled - but Buckaroo's customers that want a distressed hat also want it to start out with a particular shape, then it is easy enough for them to relax the shaping later if needed.

John Galt

Vendor
I imagine this is also true of the staining. The Major has given it a head start, and the hat will develop a more natural worn in look as it, well, wears in. Stone washed jeans don't really look like well worn jeans when new, but they get to that stage quicker when worn.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
That is why I dislike stone washed jeans :)

They have to be done that way in order to meet the requirements that is needed for a movie, there is no way they can find all the hats needed for the man actors and their stunt doubles, so they have to add the stains and make the new clothes also to have the same aged look.
I'm not against it, I just don't like it. I do understand some people like the forged distressed look (and movies need them quickly and more than 1), but I prefer the authentic. It may take a long long time but... I'm me. I do like your work, I probably would literally loose my head on your store.

Last edited:
Stetson 4X beaver with 4 inch brim.
The widest brim I own. Joao will be happy!

setu6yja.jpg
e2ymy8y8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
No. Just a new ribbon. I really like it!
Now that is a relief. ;)
I don't know if I would also change the crown. I'm not much into the cattleman crease (sadly it's the most recognised cowboy crease).

I think I'll ask John Galt to make the brim like that on my next black hat.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Just having a bit of fun! Even I wouldn't wear this out of my house. I've been obsessed with this hat lately,

though I don't own one, so here's how the Stockman ended up.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404325966751.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404325966751.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 148
  • uploadfromtaptalk1404326011646.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404326011646.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 144

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member