Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Here are a couple of pictures that show what I have been seeing....the straw is spot on....I have seen many where the brick crease is perfectly rectangular, not wider in back as this straw is....................the felt give you a good idea but is later...
M View attachment 65380 View attachment 65381 View attachment 65382

I think the Straw is a modified RCA , but low , like a Steve McQueen , or James Dean movie type from the 60s , I guess . Looks really low , but I saw Rodeo guys in the 60s wearing similar . On my noggin it would be perched like a chicken . The Felt looks like one of the Creases that I like . I never called it a brick , but I don't know it might be . Felt especially get reshaped (often) over time . Good Pictures @M Hatman ! You know they later went with the taller front and lower back as the 70s came in and later , the bad ole days , feather hat bands , etc. , but that ended I think before the end of the 70s , unless you were a Country Music has been .

You know they later went with the taller front and lower back as the 70s came in and later , the bad ole days , feather hat bands , etc. , but that ended I think before the end of the 70s , unless you were a Country Music has been .

Or at the top of your game and just like feathers. :p

chris-stapleton-435.jpg

Speaking of bricks from the 60's, if anyone finds one of these Tony Lama leather hats somewhere I would like to buy it to fill out my collection. They were made in solid colors of black, white, red, & turquoise. They were also made in two-tone combinations of black/white, red/white, & turquoise/white. Some of the crown tops were quilted as this one is, some were rolled & pleated. Brim stitching was all very similar. Each style had a different name; this is The Las Vegas.

hukd20.jpg

iwhg14.jpgQ

24xlzpf.jpg

ic7asl.jpg

e188xl.jpg

Mm25

One Too Many
Jack,
I am not on
Instagram so it won't let me copy the pic but there appears to have been one on sale(although maybe 63 weeks ago) and some other information about production that you may know or could be new.

https://www.instagram.com/p/9cPIZoMMMO/

I think the Straw is a modified RCA , but low , like a Steve McQueen , or James Dean movie type from the 60s , I guess . Looks really low , but I saw Rodeo guys in the 60s wearing similar . On my noggin it would be perched like a chicken . The Felt looks like one of the Creases that I like . I never called it a brick , but I don't know it might be . Felt especially get reshaped (often) over time . Good Pictures @M Hatman ! You know they later went with the taller front and lower back as the 70s came in and later , the bad ole days , feather hat bands , etc. , but that ended I think before the end of the 70s , unless you were a Country Music has been .
Yes..........I am with you on the low crown sitting like a chicken.....my big head needs a tall crown too!!! As for the seventies feathered bands............they fit right in with disco and the putrid browns and other colors (sometimes mixed up in god awful plaids) that permeated those times......don't know how we made it through!!!!!:eek:

Cheers,
M

Mm25

One Too Many
The second hat I was waiting for has arrived. It's a never worn or creased Resistol, with a crown height of just over 7 1/4 inches and a 5 inch brim.
I may finally have found a hat too big for me!
I'll have to take some time to figure out a crease on this one . Suggestions?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
The second hat I was waiting for has arrived. It's a never worn or creased Resistol, with a crown height of just over 7 1/4 inches and a 5 inch brim.

Check out bronco sue.com. They have a hat that looks just like yours and with the same crown and brim dimensions. Looks like they went with a Gus crease and curled up the brim some. Same color and same ribbon as yours too. They also have a Quigley Down Under hat that has the same brim and crown dimensions as yours. You definitely have options with it.

http://www.broncosue.com/oldwest.html

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

That's a big hat Joe! Dig around in some 1930s catalogs for inspiration.

31535295114_78bf8c4772_z.jpg

Check out bronco sue.com. They have a hat that looks just like yours and with the same crown and brim dimensions. Looks like they went with a Gus crease and curled up the brim some. Same color and same ribbon as yours too. They also have a Quigley Down Under hat that has the same brim and crown dimensions as yours. You definitely have options with it.

http://www.broncosue.com/oldwest.html

WOW ! Great Suggestions ! I agree , check the old ads , and with TJ , too . Or maybe Mix it up , Tom Mix . Sweet Hat ! Joao's Dream for sure . Didn't Vic post some old Catalog Pages early last year ? Or ads or something ?

Mm25

One Too Many
Looked through a bunch of old catalogs and really am drawn to the Tommy Grimes style, but I already have a stagecoach that is pretty similar, so will probably end up with some variation on a peak. Depends what mood I am in when the kettle heats up and the steam comes out. Who knows...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21