Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

The Stetson Instagram just posted these photos of their collaboration with Levi's Vintage Clothing. 7" crown, 4" brim reissue of the Dakota model. I love the box art too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba64xfBn1Y6/

Unfortunately, I cannot find any information through Levi's about availability, price, etc.
This has me really curious.......I would love one....IF it was anything like my original.....looking at the pictures, it looks real close.....however mine has a thin ribbon, campaign style bow as are all I have seen advertised at the time and pictures of other extant examples......so NOT sure where they came up with that ribbon.....though I must say.....it does look nice! I DO want one......
M

Sorry Joao I thought you thought it was trimmed . You're right Raw edge .
Looking up new information and verifying what I missed in the original post about the 7 inch crown......this hat ( other than the pencil curled brim) is not really anything like the Dakota I have or those I have seen. The crown on mine is around 5 1/2 and nowhere near 7 inches. So......they seem to have created a frankenhat of sorts and given it the name of a great old hat........still looks interesting......but.......if you really wanted a true Dakota like I do......this is not it. I wonder if they tried to reproduce the old logo and "the Fray" stampings on the sweat.....o_O
M

Here is copy of an original add for a Stetson Dakota.......this is what I have. This is NOT what Stetson created.........:rolleyes:o_O;)
M
images.jpg

PS They seem to have been offered only in black as the ad indicates. I do not belive Matt would have done this............

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Here is copy of an original add for a Stetson Dakota.......this is what I have. This is NOT what Stetson created.........:rolleyes:o_O;)
M
View attachment 91698
PS They seem to have been offered only in black as the ad indicates. I do not belive Matt would have done this............

Interesting.

I was trying to look for the model in the Miller Stockman catalog pages.

In fairness, it's possible the model name could have been recycled. The Open Road was originally a wide ribbon fedora, before they re used the name for the more famous Thin Ribbon version. I can imagine some puffery for the sake of marketing, but the reference seems too specific to be made up from whole cloth.

Last edited:
Interesting.

I was trying to look for the model in the Miller Stockman catalog pages.

I'm fairness, it's possible the model name could have been recycled. The Open Road was originally a wide ribbon fedora, before they re used the name for the more famous Thin Ribbon version. I can imagine some puffery for the sake of marketing, but the reference seems to specific to be made up from whole cloth.
Well, in a way, it is their name and they can do what they want, BUT, they have created a hat that much more closely resembles the 1930's "Boss of the Plains" (the originals had bound edge and shorter crowns) or "Number 1 Quality" than the Dakota model. Nothing wrong with that name though they have manipulated that hat too.......but again, I have found NO ad or example of a Dakota that in any way resembles what they have created. All that notwhithstanding, I must say I DO actually like what they have created and will make an effort to track one down....:rolleyes:
Best,
M
Here is a copy of some Stetson literature showing an original BOTP.
earlystetsonads.jpg

Last edited:
M
View attachment 91698

Looks like the ad shows an optional "belly nutria color". I'm guessing that is similar to natural beaver?

The Levis Vintage Clothing Instagram account posted the same pics, but with "available in limited quantities at select stores."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba2jT4MnC70/

I'm betting/hoping that this includes the flagship store here in SF. I wonder if they'd let me inspect their stock before I bought one :cool:
If you get a chance and check it out, let us know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo