Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
Can we see your Stetson Range?

Here ya go:

Range1_zpsc1646413.jpg

While I guess you could say it's similar to an Open Road in some ways dimensionally nevertheless the No. 11 profile and 3" brim make it seem a lot different to me. Small differences in hat shapes can make a big difference it how it looks on someone. The Open Road does not work for me at all but The Range is probably the best one I have [huh]

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
While I guess you could say it's similar to an Open Road in some ways dimensionally nevertheless the No. 11 profile and 3" brim make it seem a lot different to me. Small differences in hat shapes can make a big difference it how it looks on someone. The Open Road does not work for me at all but The Range is probably the best one I have [huh]
Nice one but I don't like the proportions on crown/brim. Needs more brim and more crown to me ;)
Thank you for sharing :)

frussell

One Too Many
Nice Range Joe. The older I get, the more I like shorter brims on my cowboy hats. Lots more practical if you're working in them. I'd like to find one just like that in a 7 7/8. Nice square crown shape, looks perfectly balanced to me. Frank.

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
Nice Range Joe. The older I get, the more I like shorter brims on my cowboy hats. Lots more practical if you're working in them. I'd like to find one just like that in a 7 7/8. Nice square crown shape, looks perfectly balanced to me. Frank.

Thanks.
Yeah, the square crown shape is what I like about it. I got that one from Callisters a few years ago and I been thinking about getting another one in black if I can ever get around to ordering it. I was also thinking about getting one made with a 3.5 inch brim but, as you said, it looks balanced as is and I already got 5 westerns.:D

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Here's the Stetson Nutria Centerfire, incidentally, as we seem to be on 1950's low-crown western hats:

nuju4y6y.jpg

ubyme8yz.jpg

eqa4eny8.jpg

I don't know about "weird" Joao, it looks just like a rancher crease from the side. As for traditional, the centerfire crease goes way back to at least the early 1900's in fedoras, probably earlier in westerns. That said, the multi-level centerfire I built is certainly non-standard. (I still like it though!).

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
My square-crowned hat for today, my previously posted 1950's Resistol 50 cowtrack.
Nice! A Resistol 50... that would be neat to own. Not sure if I would like a cowtrack crease...

Here's the Stetson Nutria Centerfire, incidentally, as we seem to be on 1950's low-crown western hats:
I don't know about "weird" Joao, it looks just like a rancher crease from the side. As for traditional, the centerfire crease goes way back to at least the early 1900's in fedoras, probably earlier in westerns. That said, the multi-level centerfire I built is certainly non-standard. (I still like it though!).
A black Nutria... another neat hat. That crease still looks weird to me as I'm not used to see it much.

I did crease & shape the brim on this one, another Stetson Nutria. I call it "The Marshall" (Dillon).
Another neat hat! You do have a nice collection of westerns. Nice crease and flange on the brim.

Renault

One Too Many
Great looking creases on all those hats John!

Around here, a hat with a kick in the front and a kick in the back (like in the picture above) is called a Fort Worth crease. Below is a brief explanation.

http://www.westernhats.com/ft-worth-hat-crease.html

I remember all the old timers wearing that crease. Well being I spent the first 12 years of my life in Cowtown. The annual stock show at Will Rogers colosseum and show barn was quite a treat back then!! I suppose the last one I was at was in the late 60's. It was pretty popular crease all around. One I remember seeing the most as a kid was the std old cattleman crease. Especially on the old geezers.

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks for the info & complements fellas! I like the old creases, and really try to find different & unique westerns. Sometimes it's the color, sometimes it's the brand, quality, the crown height, etc., but it's always something special that draws me to a western. I have 28 at present. Here are most of them. I built the yellow for a costume & the purple will be rebuilt for my daughter someday.

7ahesamy.jpg

ezyda9yt.jpg

dejy4u3e.jpg

I built the hat rack, by the way. It holds 12 hats. I laminated cedar fence boards to a 4x4 and added iron hooks. It is heavy. The base is from an umbrella stand.

6yruqa7e.jpg

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
JG, the one crease you see on a lot of the old hard core ranchers here is what you might refer to as a Foreman crease. With mule kicks. These are the folks who don't wear baseball gimme hats.

You will see them a lot out west of the US 281 corridor. On out to El Paso. The hats are generally well worn and stained just like the men wearing them. Most will have like a 3-3 1/2" brim. You will also see same hat down south. And especially southwest of the Sam Antonio area.

John Galt

Vendor
Lotta rancher creases here in far Northern California. I've researched this and generally prefer this term for the crease that goes way back, but was popularized at the ranch 101:

y7ytymub.jpg

Here's a Fort Worth crease like the one Landman mentioned, on a Resistol 100 I just received:

ypybejet.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24