Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

carter

I'll Lock Up
Oreana on a Glen Grey Campdraft

3348129064_80a00d2fc5.jpg

Will Morgan

Vendor
Howdy Y'all.

Please pardon the lassoing this here thread, but it seems on topic, we just got a new Akubra style into stock, the "Burke and Wills".

Akubra does well in the US cattle / agricultural / horse market with the Boss, the Kiandra, the Snowy etc.. as crossover western shapes, perhaps more for trail riders as opposed to bronco busters, and a couple of Akubra dealers do well at fairs and shows reshaping the Coober Pedy to western tastes, but I think this hat is the first Akubra American Western to be stocked and sold in the US.

The Burke and Wills is made with a high density heritage felt, with an extra wide roan leather sweat typical of the heritage collection hats, and finished with a nice horse hair hat band. The 5-1/2 " crown may be a little high for some of the people in the northern latitudes... we'll see!

Will Morgan said:
The Burke and Wills is made with a high density heritage felt, with an extra wide roan leather sweat typical of the heritage collection hats, and finished with a nice horse hair hat band. The 5-1/2 " crown may be a little high for some of the people in the northern latitudes... we'll see!

I agree with the statement about "a little high...". Most folks around AQHA & NRHA shows that I frequent have tended to go to lower profile crowns. I've sold a few hats that I never wore & the 4 1/2" crowns moved better & for higher prices.
The Arena & the Bronco look similiar to this one but really glad to see a US western style in the Heritage line. Now, if they'll just offer a Campdraft Deluxe in heritage felt, we'd be thrilled!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Resistol "Plains"

3351720284_a2578f2db1_b.jpg

3359423277_ae18412f11_b.jpg

3359423581_3af9e88612_b.jpg

3360242784_261b959f3a_b.jpg

Received this in a 4 hat lot. The first photo is how it looked out of the box. After clouds of dust and feather removal below. The felt seems to be of high quality. Label calls the color tan belly no X's mentioned. Any ideas how old this hat is or its quality? Has an original price tag of $11.95 from The Frontier Shop Livestock Health & Supplies in Lexington Kentucky.

portolan

A-List Customer
The Lone Ranger on his way to the Sierra Madres

On my way to Chihuahua in this big Ranger. Got it on the bay. It is an older version. The felt is incredibly soft. Amazing hat. The biggest I own. It will be very popular in Mexico!

Ranger.jpg

Ranger2.jpg

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Dinerman, for the umpteenth time, you've left me completely amazed. How you'd find such a hat in the first place, and then track down the pertinent ad...well done indeed.

- Bill

carter

I'll Lock Up
Here's a 4X Stetson that had a 5" brim which I cut-down to 3". The crown is blocked in a 4-point diamond like the hat John Wayne wore in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" and "Fort Apache". The brim is curled rather than flipped in the front. I added a cavalry cord as well.
3416371138_c6aeb64735.jpg
3416366664_7f4056b393.jpg
3416362082_b7aeddf3d5.jpg
3416364558_dca35287f8.jpg
3415551801_8a0bb59ce1.jpg

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
Here's my Outback oilskin "Grizzly" hat that I bought yesterday at a Western/Tack store. It looks black, but it's really brown. It has a three-inch brim and a low teardrop crown. I gave the brim a slight Western upcurl. It's a killer rain hat that looks great on me. I wonder if Major Moore could make me one in 100% beaver.

OutbackGrizzly004.jpg

pauljmuk

New in Town
jeez rlk, those feathers in first picture are freakin me out - looks like a hat was worn on a fast motorcycle into a cloud of pigeons....

majormoore

Vendor
The oil cloth hat is no problem to make in 100% beaver, I also have the hat band leather also just like the one on the hat in the photo.

Major Moore

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
rlk said:
3351720284_a2578f2db1_b.jpg

3359423277_ae18412f11_b.jpg

3359423581_3af9e88612_b.jpg

3360242784_261b959f3a_b.jpg

Received this in a 4 hat lot. The first photo is how it looked out of the box. After clouds of dust and feather removal below. The felt seems to be of high quality. Label calls the color tan belly no X's mentioned. Any ideas how old this hat is or its quality? Has an original price tag of $11.95 from The Frontier Shop Livestock Health & Supplies in Lexington Kentucky.

I can't help you with the age but I remember seeing this hat when it was listed as a single. I didn't bid but thought it might be a good buy at a low price because of the feathers. Nice to know someone got it that knows a good hat in spite of what it looks like.

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
Fatdutchman said:
I may have shown this here before...

This is just about the ultimate hat, as far as I'm concerned. This is a 5x Bailey that I got on ebay for like $40. It was virtually brand new. Had a horrible cattleman type crease. I "blocked" it out (filled it with water and set it upside down in the bathtub), then reshaped it with a diamond-type crease, and reworked the brim, putting as much "snap" into it as I was able using my fingers. This hat works as either "western" or "fedora"...looks like I just stepped off the set of a 1948 western movie.

Bailey4.jpg

Work5.jpg

Work1.jpg

Don't have the mustache right now...

I like that one. A Baily 5X you say...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner