Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about us naturally curly girls?

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Little One, I have super curly hair, and usually pin curl my hair when i do vintage styles. The key with pin curls when you are naturally curly is not to brush them with a brush but to brush them with out with your fingers. I usually hold them toward the nape up my neck then run my fingers through my curls. I also have a few good anti frizz serums. Like many people with curly hair my curls need to be weighed down to control them. I use only very heavy conditioners and only shampoo my hair one time a week while I condition it every day. I helps to rinse the conditioner out then put more in the bottom and rinse it partially out. Then I pin curl my hair when I is still completely wet. I put pomade and light gel in it when I pin curl it. Also I keep a spray bottle on hand so that when I get toward the end of it and hair is starting to not be soaked I can spray it down, again. When my set is in I spray it down with hair spray then wrap it in a scarf for bed. My hair takes about 10 or 12 hours to dry so I like to blow dry it a bit through my scarf in the mornings for a while to ensure it being dry. When I style it I also make sure I have a curling iron on hand for those few curls that just won't do what I want. You can also wash you hair at night and put it in a low ponytail making sure that the hair that is pulled against your head is smooth and straight, and put product in it as well. In the morning when you take the ponytail out the top portion will be smooth and flat, you can then use a large barrel curling iron on you hair, and brush it out with your fingers and put serum in it. You can also use hot rollers when you do the ponytail thing. Here are some pictures for you to look at.

My hair naturally, with no vintage styling.
n144100048_30067445_8121.jpg

Now here is my hair in a pin curl set.
1.jpg

2.jpg

Here is that set taken down before styling and then post styling
Before:
4.jpg

5.jpg

After syling:
7.jpg

8.jpg

Grant Fan

Practically Family
and here is some more
I used the same set as above for this but left it completely down here is what I got
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Now here is the night time ponytail and curling iron in the morning
n144100048_30020498_612.jpg

And here it is with the ponytail and hot rollers.
Picture003.jpg

I hoped that helped, if you have any questions feel free to send me a PM, or email me later

D

Deleted member 12480

how do you get curly hair to sort of curl under at the back? :/

crwritt

One Too Many
deleteduser said:
how do you get curly hair to sort of curl under at the back? :/
I think it has a lot to do with the haircut. If you ask for it to be bobbed under,
your hairdresser will cut it with the underlayers a tiny bit shorter than the top layers. The hair will tend to curl toward the shorter layer.

D

Deleted member 12480

crwritt said:
I think it has a lot to do with the haircut. If you ask for it to be bobbed under,
your hairdresser will cut it with the underlayers a tiny bit shorter than the top layers. The hair will tend to curl toward the shorter layer.

aah thankyou! i have been puzzling over it for ages!

Also i have some advice for curly girlies :)

I recently got some stuff off ebay called l'oreal absolut repair.
(its french i think?) my autie from the US brought it over. I found that has seriously helped my hair cause its so dry, and my curls get real frizzy and tangly and my hair has been in good condition for a whole week with only two washes.

Also with regards to pincurls,

what i found works really good, particularly if you want to do vintage hair every day,

I'll wash it and apply liberal serum just to keep the flyaways away and some setting lotion, then do some quick pincurls (in effect, giant pincurls that i just hold in with a few hairgrips) and arrange them in a slope down the sides of my head. Then i wrap my hair up in a silk scarf like a housewife and let them dry (i sleep like that too!) The next night, instead of repeating the whole process again and drying out my hair by washing it, i get an afro comb and comb it out until i can get a fine toothed comb through the section i want to curl (yes, it makes my hair very frizzy but it doesn't matter) then i'll get a spray bottle full of water and spray it until its damp and make sure i've really got the ends (as they're the frizzy bit). A cheapy leave-in conditioner isn't a bad idea either. Pincurl it from the base of my hair and pin the ends in place with one pin and another to hold the whole curl in place. then wrap it up in my scarf for equally lovely results the nest day.

I also find skimming a comb just over the 'flatter' areas of hair smooths it down a bit and makes it look more shiny.

ALSO!
for the ladies in the UK, if you're looking for setting lotion, i know boots do some Wella 'Hair Set' which i recently bought, although i can't judge how good it is considering its the only setting lotion i've ever used and i don't really know how its supposed to turn out. So sorry there! But you can probably try it out as its only about 2.50.

Hope i helped!

<3

D

Deleted member 12480

Hello - sorry to resurrect this thread but i'm really really struggling with my hair.
It is so so frizzy! its fine if i sleep in pincurls but as soon as i brush it out - boom.

Also i have to pincurl or roller it every night because it would look a complete state if i just slept on it, i must wriggle around? and heated rollers just seems to 'straighten it' and its slips out within 5 minutes, as does the curling iron.

I am also struggling to keep my hair 'in' i have pretty small curls and after a day at school its just a complete mess - frizzy tangly and in no was resembling a 40s hairstyle.

I also am really struggling with victory rolls - they never look right and my hair is so not-smooth that you can't even tell they're rolls they just look like 'lumps' of hair on either side of my head.

I've also tried paddle brushing and boar brush-ing my hair but it still gets ultra frizzy. I also put gel in when wet and i've tried setting lotion and diluted setting lotion.

As soon as i step out the door - woosh.

What am i doing wrong? its so depressing. :(

xxx

VoodooDolly

New in Town
Hey deleteduser, sorry you're having what sounds like a perma-bad-hair-day. :( Mine really seems to be mellowing out as it gets longer, but I will offer what advice I can. If your hair is still damaged, maybe try using some heavier conditioner or a really thick hair masque to start with. If I don't use fistfuls of conditioner in the shower, and then a leave-in afterwards too, my hair is instantly a birds nest. For really deep moisturizing, I often look at products geared toward ethnic hair.

Also, I find that I have the best luck if I use some gooey-er or greasier feeling products. I use things like smoothing cream, or even men's pomade in the ends of mine to keep the curl weighted down a little. The one thing I have notifed is that my curly hair seems to just suck up a ridiculous amount of product, compared to someone who has thinner straight hair. So I would try applying more and more product each time you wash it until you get to the point where you can tell it's too much. You might be surprised how much you really can use, and what a difference it makes. Good luck!

D

Deleted member 12480

thanks voodoo dolly!
feeling better about it today and it has 'stayed in' slightly better and i did actually use a heck of a lot of product last night.

I'll look around for some more 'gooey' products when i get some more money!

:rolleyes:
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I second the men's pomade. I use Hawleywood's Layrite Pomade and it really helps me with flyaways and frizz and it smells really good to boot!

Another suggestion for days when your hair refuses to behave: SNOODS. They are a godsend when my hair just won't cooperate(or I'm lazy ;-)) and they still provide an authentic look.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
deleteduser said:
Hello - sorry to resurrect this thread but i'm really really struggling with my hair.
It is so so frizzy! its fine if i sleep in pincurls but as soon as i brush it out - boom.

Also i have to pincurl or roller it every night because it would look a complete state if i just slept on it, i must wriggle around? and heated rollers just seems to 'straighten it' and its slips out within 5 minutes, as does the curling iron.

I am also struggling to keep my hair 'in' i have pretty small curls and after a day at school its just a complete mess - frizzy tangly and in no was resembling a 40s hairstyle.

I also am really struggling with victory rolls - they never look right and my hair is so not-smooth that you can't even tell they're rolls they just look like 'lumps' of hair on either side of my head.

I've also tried paddle brushing and boar brush-ing my hair but it still gets ultra frizzy. I also put gel in when wet and i've tried setting lotion and diluted setting lotion.

As soon as i step out the door - woosh.

What am i doing wrong? its so depressing. :(

xxx

deleteduser, it sounds like we have quite similar unruly hair. I've not had much luck with wet sets for as well as it taking forever and a day to dry it ends up coming out looking like, well, Annie from the comic strip, especially if I try to brush it (even with lots of brushing, as recommended by many Loungers)!
The best result I've had, and I end up doing this about once every 5/6 days with some dry shampooing in between, is straightening and curling (if that makes sense) at the same time with one of those blow dryers with the round bristle brush, so that it tames the follicle but gives a gentle curl at the end at the same time. It comes out Hedy Lamarr-ish. Not the most vintage of methods, granted, but effective. Also, I use 2 or 3 drops of serum and Tresemme Heat Defense smooth styling spray whilst drying which helps to keep it frizz-free. A good haircut (which I'm really needing at the moment) helps too.

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
hi girls!

hi ladies,

this is my first ever post although i have been lurking for quite some time.....in fact, i had never even attempted setting my hair before i found this site, after several failed attempts i have it down to a T! lol

i'd just like to share what i do when i set my hair. i have long layered very curly hair (which is badly in need of a cut!) and i often can make a set last about 5 days. i don't use shampoo, just conditioner and i use Lush's 'Retread' at the moment - pricey but nice!

i work full time and i have 1 year old twins so i really don't have time to pin curl - it takes me over an hour to do my whole head and well over 12 hours to dry properly. i use foam rollers i bought from Wilkinsons - you get 5 to a pack and they were about 99p a pack i think. i have about 50 :eek: although probably only use about 15 on my head.

when i wash my hair i blowdry it round a barrel brush, i normally do this on a Sunday night. i usually put some heat protector and Frizz Ease serum on, the purple one. i've got it down by now, takes about 20 mins and i have lovely sleek waves (not so vintage but we're getting there lol!). then i am ready to go on Monday for work.

i don't work Tuesday so this is when i set my hair - sometimes in the morning and then leave it till Wednesday, although this is only if i am not going out. to set it i use half setting lotion half water in a spray bottle with a drop of conditioner in it. i spray the ends of my hair then wrap round the roller being careful to keep the crown dry. i normally pin curl the fringe to one side and wear it like that the next day.

when i take the rollers out, i put some serum through it then run my fingers through, sometimes put the sides up in combs. my hair is below my bra strap it is so long but it will spring up to above my shoulders like this!! i then basically brush out carefully the following day with a vent brush, and for Friday i put it up in a ponytail with my pin curled fringe.

i will try and find some pics of me that aren't too bad, but i think for us curly girls a bit of heat styling is needed for a smooth curl.

and PS - now they have discontinued Amami setting lotion you can get a very similar one from Wilkinsons.

HTH, i am looking forward to posting more often and seeing all your lovely 'dos

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
I'll be watching this thread with my curly frizzy mess of a hair. I tried pincurls and it was a disaster, nightmare frizzy mess. I think hots roller might be my only option. I have noticed with my hair that I need to use bigger rollers because it holds the curl to tightly. I wonder if larger pincurls were made if they would be less frizzy? Also I use Miracle 7 products and they are amazing for dry frizzy hair http://www.sallybeauty.com/leave-in-conditioner/SBS-777777,default,pd.html

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the wonderful info ladies,it is so helpful!
Grantfan your hair looks beautiful & that colour is gorgeous on you,the pics are very helpful thankyou & you look fab!
Isn't it ironic us curly haired girls have to do so much to get our hair curly lol.
I'm loving this forum,u girls are a wealth of info & so inspiring!:)

MissDolly

New in Town
Hello Ladies, I am in heaven finding this thread. I have been lurking in the Lounge for about a year, am an avid fan of Lisa Freemont Street's videos, and would love to be able to style my hair with a retro look. But, like all of you I also have thick, curly hair that takes forever to dry. I have tried pin curls but sadly mine are just too curly to set properly. But, I am going to try hot rollers and see how that works.
I was wondering if any of you have gotten your hair cut in a Middy? Would that cut even work for curly hair? Currently I get my hair cut by having it "carved" (think Diva Curl method) which looks pretty nice. But, I would love to try the Middy. What do you all think?
Thanks for reading my post. Thanks to Little One for starting this thread!!
Miss Dolly:)

SheBear74

Practically Family
Have any of you ladies tried washing your hair with castille soap? I had been using castille soap with an apple cider vinegar rinse (2 tbsp of acv in a cup and just fill the cup with hot shower water then pour over hair and leave for a minute or so then rinse well, and the vinegar smell doesn't last in your hair) I had been doing that for a while then switched back to regular shampoo and conditioner, I noticed my hair was a lot dryer and my curls didn't stay as well... Anyway it's just a suggestion.

SheBear74

Practically Family
MissDolly said:
Hello Ladies, I am in heaven finding this thread. I have been lurking in the Lounge for about a year, am an avid fan of Lisa Freemont Street's videos, and would love to be able to style my hair with a retro look. But, like all of you I also have thick, curly hair that takes forever to dry. I have tried pin curls but sadly mine are just too curly to set properly. But, I am going to try hot rollers and see how that works.
I was wondering if any of you have gotten your hair cut in a Middy? Would that cut even work for curly hair? Currently I get my hair cut by having it "carved" (think Diva Curl method) which looks pretty nice. But, I would love to try the Middy. What do you all think?
Thanks for reading my post. Thanks to Little One for starting this thread!!
Miss Dolly:)

Crwritt has hers cut into a middy, there is a pic of it on the middy thread. I think it looks great that way!

I think this is the link :) http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=999206#post999206

crwritt

One Too Many
SheBear74 said:
Have any of you ladies tried washing your hair with castille soap? I had been using castille soap with an apple cider vinegar rinse (2 tbsp of acv in a cup and just fill the cup with hot shower water then pour over hair and leave for a minute or so then rinse well, and the vinegar smell doesn't last in your hair) I had been doing that for a while then switched back to regular shampoo and conditioner, I noticed my hair was a lot dryer and my curls didn't stay as well... Anyway it's just a suggestion.

My hair loves the Out of Africa organic shea butter soap bar I got at Walgreen's.
Less than $3.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...sku=sku5644620
An Acv rinse afterwards is nice, but not entirely necessary. Then I scrunch in a mixture of conditioner and hair gel.

crwritt

One Too Many
MissDolly said:
Thank you for the link and the information. Crwritt doesn't have as thick or as curly hair as I do. I am going to have to investigate a little more. thanks again for your help!!

Hi Miss Dolly.. I guess I was mentioned here as a person who had a middy cut. Maybe there is a little confusion.
Mine is not quite a middy cut, it probably has more short layering.
I was kind of asking the same question you are: how does a middy cut look on natural curls, without setting and styling?

My hair is thick, fairly coarse, and the curls are about what you could achieve with a 1" curling iron. On the Naturally Curly site, I'd be a 2c wavy.
I typically take care of my hair with the CG method, washing with conditioner, scrunching in gel, air drying.
I would like to try the middy cut once my hair has grown out a little.
I have also had the deva cut in the past. It certainly makes the best of
natural curls.

Really, the middy is pretty much a long-layered u shape haircut. If you asked
your Deva stylist for a u shape in the back, you could achieve it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner