Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the most common/popular Aero jacket styles?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Having informally surveyed ebay over the last year+, it seems that the most popular styles of Aero leather jackets are the Highwayman, the Half Belt/Half Belt Deluxe, and the Cafe Racer, followed up by the Bootlegger and J106. All other models seem to be exceedingly rare on ebay, if they appear at all.

This leads me to wonder: Are they less popular? Or are they re-sold less because their owners won't part with them?

I don't suppose anyone with sales figures would be authorised to disclose them, but it doesn't stop me from being curious.

AdeeC

Practically Family
I like it that AERO offers many long standing classic styles. Something for everyone who does not want to go with the herd and latest trends. Most other manufacturers appear to keep only their most profitable and latest styles active. I doubt it is a hinderance to them as no doubt all the patterns and sizes are already complete and if they make a few a year of a particular obscure model then it's no big deal in the big picture. Kind of an anti fashion statement.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd guess that they just sell a lot less of the other models.....take a look at the orders that Carrie from Thurston posts in their affiliate thread, its all all highwaymen, half belts, cafe and board racers with the occasional Bootlegger.

Peacoat

Bartender
It may be be based on the longevity of the model. That is, the longer a model has been in service, the more of them are going to be available for resale. In the Aero line, I have the Highwayman, the Thunderbay and the Sheene. The latter two are my favorites from Aero, but they don't much show up on ebay because they are both relatively new offerings. There just aren't that many in circulation. One reason may be that the original purchasers haven't had the time yet to outgrow them.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have the distinct impression that the Sheene is currently the most popular, at least on this forum. Of course, a Sheene is a HWM collar on a Café Racer pattern. Even the Board Racer is being made with the option of a HWM collar.

Edward

Bartender
By far the biggest seller for Aero - as I'm sure they've said many times themselves - is the Highwayman. It's the original Aero jacket, and Ken's first 'original' design, dating to 1983 (when I think it was still branded as "Riders in the Storm"(?) - a reference, I believe, to the Doors' classic Riders on the Storm). Ken started doing A2 repros, I believe before anyone else in the UK, as the price of the originals rose. The first Highwayman surfaced a whiel back, bought back by Aero - I think it was a lounger who had it? It was made for a guy called John Taylor, who I think is around here under another name.... Ken put it together as an Americanised version of one of the original Rivett's of Leytonstone Highwayman designs (now reproduced by Aero as the Original 59er Highwayman, very similar to a Lewis Corsair, though I believe the original Rivett's jacket pre-dated the Lewis). As Peacoat says, the commonality of this, and a handful of other Aero models on the second-hand market is in lage part due to them having been around long enough to filter through to the likes of eBay. There's also an issue of popularity. Aero's A2s you see on the used market reasonably often, but there's a lot of direct competition ther,e so they won't be likely to make up the sizeable proportion that the Highwayman does. In terms of jackets selling new, the HWM is still the biggie, along with the others you mention - I have the impression this place is representative of the wider Aero market in that regard (all except the wool Waterfront jacket - Murray told me at the factory those sell really well in the factory shop, though you very rarely see them on the used market). As to for why one model might be more popular than another, who can say... I do think, though, that the HWM appeals to a really broad base becaused it has that rockabilly / rocker look while being that bit different from the Perfecto style, it's a very flexible style in terms of what it can be worn with, and it's perhaps more subtle than the likes of the Dustbowl or the Seabiscuit, so it has a subtlety for someone who maybe prefers that,. or is new to the jacket world. It's a much more 'modern' look, imo, than any of the others, yet also a much classier take on it than the competitors.

Funnily enough, I was long wary of the HWM as I thought it might be too boxy for me. In the end, I was tempted into it by one of the first of the "Apprentice Made" series made by one of the new Machinists hired by Ken in 2012 (before the Robin Hood label; mine has the blue label). Cracking jacket - I wear it a lot. The steer is an excellent hide for it, btw - drapes much better than the FQHH in this cut, though obviously once the FQHH breaks in well, it's much the same.

I like it that AERO offers many long standing classic styles. Something for everyone who does not want to go with the herd and latest trends. Most other manufacturers appear to keep only their most profitable and latest styles active. I doubt it is a hinderance to them as no doubt all the patterns and sizes are already complete and if they make a few a year of a particular obscure model then it's no big deal in the big picture. Kind of an anti fashion statement.

Aero have dropped the odd model here and there (I think the Windward disappeared not lon after Ken came back in 2012), but yes, they do keep a wider range on thed books by far than pretty much any similarly-sized operation. That's the beauty of the 'made to order' model - there's never any risk of being landed with a wholed heap of stock you can't shift, though of course they do now also do stock runs of the Highwayman and some A2s, given the sheer demand for those.

Still dying to see someone go for a Royale, but I may have to do that one myself.

Well, seeing as you went with the goat for the panels on your new sheepskin, you do still have a Vicenza shaped space in your collection......

I have the distinct impression that the Sheene is currently the most popular, at least on this forum. Of course, a Sheene is a HWM collar on a Café Racer pattern. Even the Board Racer is being made with the option of a HWM collar.

It's a clever move from Aero, given how many people used to show up here wanting a HWM-type jacket with simple lines, but a neater fit.... there was a dangerous notion abroad for some time that you could get it by buying a HWM that was two sizes smaller. Which is kinda mad, as all that happens is you end up with a jacket that looks like a box jacket that's too small.... The Sheene fits that gap perfectly, especially if what is desired is something with a more modern look than the 30s Highwayman. The 59er HWM is also a good option, thuogh I think not quite as neat a fit as the Sheene would be.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It was a very early A-2 that Ken made back in his London days that John returned to Aero - I think it's framed on one of the walls now.

robrinay

One Too Many
Have a look at this earlier thread for a bit of Aero history
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/transatlantic-clothing-group-highwayman.78984/
In which 'Hide n Seek' (Denny?) says that the Riders in the Storm was a Highwayman made by nearly fully trained apprentices.
PS I'm still looking for a 'Miracle leather' and I've sold my Riders - I replaced it with a (Connelly?) Highwayman i bought for £25 From a recent local antique fair.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo