Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you doing.........

rue

I am alone this year with my children spending it with my ex and her family. I have been invited by a friend to a local seniors home for a dinner with his mom and to visit with the folks there. Many of these people have nothing to do or no one to visit them. I will bring a pen and a note book with me and take down some of their histories. Many of these seniors have led very interesting lives.... lived through WW2, the Korean conflict, the great depression of the 1930's, homesteaded and broke free government land, lived under the the communist rule in the old Soviet Union before immigrating to Canada, and the like. I have an interest in the first hand accounts of people that have lived history. Often referred to as the greatest generation they have some amazing life histories to share. It is going to be an interesting evening.

What a wonderful way to spend the New Year :)

As for me....
I'm making dinner (gorgonzola Steak, garlic mashed potatoes, stuffed mushrooms) and sitting down to eat with the kids and my husband. Then it's time for the grownups and we'll walk down to a friends house until a quarter til midnight when we'll walk back home to share champagne and ring in the New Year with the kids as we watch the ball drop. The next morning it's time to watch the Rose Parade while I make a pancake breakfast. It's become tradition for us and I wouldn't have it any other way :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Partied pretty heavily LAST night, got home at 3 AM. So I'm thinkin' I might just stay home tonight and watch the ball drop with my kitties. I'll see how accurately my vintage Revere clock is set, because it has Westminster chimes that ring the hours. Happy New Year, everyone!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
We've had our starter (foie gras on home made sourdough toast, glass of champagne) now we're having a little pause before the main course (saffron ravioli filled with crab & prawns, more champagne). Then there is a bottle of sauternes to help us see in the new year. Us & the cat - just the way I like it!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We're going to friends about 15 minutes away, as we did last year. Not exactly the swanky type of New Year's Eve party I've always envisioned going to, but fun nonetheless.

rue

We've had our starter (foie gras on home made sourdough toast, glass of champagne) now we're having a little pause before the main course (saffron ravioli filled with crab & prawns, more champagne). Then there is a bottle of sauternes to help us see in the new year. Us & the cat - just the way I like it!

ugh... I'm so jealous :( I absolutely love foie gras and seafood, but no one else in this house does. I'd have to make it just for myself... hmmmmm... what a minute, maybe that's not such a bad idea after all ;)

Cooperson

One Too Many
A round of golf with my mates - a mince pie and a swig of single malt on every other hole. Evening - walk to the pub with the wife - a few pints of Bass or Marstons Pedigree - back home to see in the new year! Life is good!! Happy New Year!

Pompidou

One Too Many
This year I'm seeing what my bar's New Year's party is like. This year will be the first year that actually making it till midnight will be a challenge, because I finally kicked my miserable nightshift sleeping hours, going to bed at a reasonable hour and waking up at 6 am now to get ready for the sort of schedule I'll have when my cafe opens. I'm tired already. I hope the party is loud and boisterous tonight, because I could fall asleep now. Old fart at 32.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Not doing anything tonight. Built a linux server for a friend today, just gonna chill tonight and finally upgrade the Mac I've been putting off for too long. Maybe I'll buy a bottle of microbrewed beer for NYE toast, not sure yet

/|\

One of the Regulars
We had the Birch Bay Ring of Fire & Hope tonight at 1900 hours. People lit flares from Birch Point to Point Whitehorn, and some people brought aerial fireworks. Sure, there were some thin spots; but the residents here represented pretty well. It's below freezing outside, but my roommate was wearing her N-2B I got her for her birthday. My toes got a little cold, and I wished I had my 1936-pattern RAF flying boots. I made a pot of glögi and put it in a thermos. The sky is clear, and Orion was up in the south. Only a breath of a breeze, so it wasn't uncomfortable. Especially with the glögi. We got home, and I put a couple more logs on the fire. Roomie's letting me finish off the warm wine (and vodka).

If I've misspelled anything, I blame the glögi. ;)

/|\

One of the Regulars
New Year's Day, 1/1/11.

Today I'll cook up a mess of ham hocks & black-eyed peas, ham hock & collard greens, and chipotle-cheddar cornbread.

morgan

New in Town
My NYE was a bit of a let down. Was supposed to take my daughter to a friend of mine who has 7 kids. Drop her off for a few hours while I went out with a friend for some non-drinking socializing but his son had a fever and was otherwise sick so we stayed home. Went to put in a movie called Hell Ship Mutiny ( 1957 south seas adventure) that I had picked up used only to find out someone had switched discs and it was a low budget western instead. And my wife is out of town. Oh Well, not the best start to the new year but it could have been worse.........

Morgan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183