Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Right now I'm transferring a set of 78rpm uncoated aluminum instantaneous discs containing an Armistice Day talk from 1935, by a very windy Boston judge. Before the Judge's talk, station WHDH proudly presents the latest race results from Narragansett Park. Priorities, always priorities.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Fascinating stuff...I guess if you don't have to listen to it...

LizzieMaine said:
Right now I'm transferring a set of 78rpm uncoated aluminum instantaneous discs containing an Armistice Day talk from 1935, by a very windy Boston judge. Before the Judge's talk, station WHDH proudly presents the latest race results from Narragansett Park. Priorities, always priorities.

Dear Lizzie, Sounds great...but then again, YOU'RE listening to Judge Proudcheeks, not me.

But, seriously: sounds fascinating. I have no idea whether you do this stuff for your own amusement or for profit...but is there a chance to share some of this?

Best regards,
"Skeet"

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Just played Paul Pendarvis's record of Accent on Youth, which would have been hitting Columbia and Brunswick dealers about that same time.

3406795677_c87417c9c6.jpg

Paul doubled alto sax and violin and had what George Simon called "a rather good sweet band."

A station out of Cleveland: WKHR 91.5

Here's a link and a snippet of their description:

"Featuring legendary artists from the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, and 50's WKHR is the only Big Band radio station in Northeast Ohio. Located just outside of Cleveland, our signal extends to six counties across the state, and all over the world online...

WKHR FM 91.5 is a nonprofit organization, which means that our music is 100% commercial FREE.

Join us as we journey back to hear favorites, tunes long forgotten, and some new takes on old classics.

Thank you for listening, we hope you enjoy!

- In the Cleveland, Ohio area? Tune your dial to FM 91.5!
- Anywhere in the world? Listen to us from your computer"

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found several thought-to-be lost CDs on a shelf in the entryway closet Friday - the Pasadena Roof Orchestra among them, so I've had those playing on and off all weekend since importing them to iTunes. 20s-40s songs and a great selection of styles.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Hilary Kole, NYC cabaret star and Birdland staple, FINALLY released a CD, "Haunted Heart." Great recording! She is amazing.

Here is the product description from Amazon.com:

After years performing in the world's top venues with such jazz legends as Hank Jones and Oscar Peterson, here is Hilary Kole's debut, produced by John Pizzarelli, a jazz star in his own right, and who also serves as the album's guitarist. Together, Hilary and John have assembled 13 songs with roots in the great American songbook, but largely unknown, including Tom Waits Old Boyfriends and You For Me, best known from the late Blossom Dearie's interpretation. Here is a jazz vocalist for today!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Billie Holiday Birthday Broadcast (4/7)!

I just heard some fantastic 1935 and 1936 recordings driving to work...

24 hours of continuous Billie Holiday today on commercial-free Columbia U station WKCR - Tuesday 4/7. On the air in the NYC area at 89.9, and streaming worldwide at wkcr.org...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen