Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to be scowled at by the cat for forgetting to fill her bowl last night by --

Starting off with Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra in 1937, with Edythe Wright singing "Did I Remember?" No, I didn't, and that's exactly the problem.

Next up, my favorite side by Fats Waller and his Rhythm, "The Curse Of An Aching Heart." "You made a big fat greasy bum outa me, an' I ain't gonna stand for it!" Well, at least he doesn't pitch a hairball when he's mad.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Duke Ellington- Masterpieces by Ellington

51DtV98bbML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Lenore

Practically Family
Embracing my inner geek....

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/urNyg1ftMIU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/urNyg1ftMIU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
Harry James, I just can't get enough of his trumpet playing, the best I have found so far.

HarryJames_HBCD503-1.jpg

[YOUTUBE]<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3UxUOXstHc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3UxUOXstHc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
New records which arrived in this morning's post:

Brunswick 3664 "Baltimore" Clarence Williams Blue Five
Brunswick 4440 "No Parking"/"St. Louis Gal" The Cotton Pickers
Decca 2312 "Something"/"Nothing" Joe Venuti & His Orchestra
Victor 20514 "Everything's Made for Love" Whiteman's Orchestra
Velvet Tone 1857-V "Outside"/"Weary River" Rudy Vallee & His Conn. Yankees
Victor 18132 "On The Beach at Waikiki" Rene Dietrich - Horace White
Victor 18849 "Laughing Rag" Sam Moore & Horace Davis (Octochorda & Harp Guitar duet)
Columbia 754-D "I Can't Get Over a Girl Like You" Ted Lewis & His Band
Victor 19241 "She Wouldn't Do What I Asked Her To" The Virginians
Victor 18703 "Singin' the Blues" Aileen Stanley
Brunswick 4375 "Singin' in the Rain" Earl Burnett & His Los Angles Biltmore Hotel Orchestra
Bluebird B-7386 "My Moonlight Madonna" Rudy Vallee & His Conn. Yankees
Harmony 1196-H "Little White Lies" Gay Ellis
Brunswick 4274 "Mean To Me" Ben Bernie & His Hotel Roosevelt Orchestra
Columbia 116-D "My Papa Doesn't Two-time No Time" Van and Schenck
Columbia Set No. 280 "Gershwin Concerto in F for Piano & Orchestra, Paul Whiteman and His Concert Orchestra, Pianoforte by Roy Bargy

What a happy morning! I've been waiting for quite a while for many of these discs!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sh57XQFco60&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sh57XQFco60&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Foofoogal

Banned
picked up a 4 lp 78rpm Smart Set of Victor Herbert.
My Dream Girl, I'm Falling in Love with Someone, Neath the Southern Moon. lol
Listening to see what they sound like.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Some hummm outside my window that I can't figure out lol
Good selections on this thread, I need to remember it nxt time I'm sitting in front of the computer trying to figure out what to by and download onto my mp3 player.
I've been hooked on Owl City's Fireflies. Not vintage or inspired, although it does sorta remin me of mid 80s.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to prepare for a very long day by --

Starting off in 1934 with Rudy Vallee and his Connecticut Yankees, and a dandy version of the English patter hit "The Girl In The Little Green Hat." Vallee, with his perfect diction, always excels on these tongue-twister numbers -- pity he never did a duet with Danny Kaye.

Next up, still in 1934 with Henry Hall and the BBC Dance Orchestra, and their version of the big hit tune of the winter of '33, "Did You Ever See A Dream Walking?" More like stumbling and knocking things over in the dark.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
No you can't hear it

In the Shade of the Old Apple Tree - Gene (Kardos)'s Merrymakers, 1932. A classic example of Nervous East Coast White Guy music, a machine-age precursor to swing built around staccato eighth notes at up tempo.

Played then, and appreciated today, mostly by nervous white guys on the east coast, one of whom expressed wishes that I not share his dub with anyone because he didn't want anyone to hear it who didn't have something he wanted to hear.

I'd say "it takes all kinds," but when it comes to interesting old music and the people who are into it, it really doesn't take more than a few kinds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred