Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Noel Coward, ( the master) "I travel alone"

Dorchester600.jpg

I Travel alone
Sometimes I'm east
Sometimes I'm west

No chance can ever bind me
No remembered love
Can ever find me

I travel alone
Fair though the places
And faces I've known

When the dream has ended
And passion has flown
I travel alone

Free from love's illusion
My heart is my own
I travel alone

Free from love's illusion
My heart is my own
I travel alone

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to rejoice at having survived the weekend by --

Starting off in 1939 with Chick Webb and his Orchestra, as young Ella declares "I Found My Yellow Basket!" Can the Waiter With The Water be far behind?

Next, sliding back to 1937 for a virtuoso performance by Richard Himber and his Essex House Orchestra, imitating in turn Henry Busse, Wayne King, the Benny Goodman Quartet, Tommy Dorsey, Clyde McCoy, and Guy and Carmen Lombardo in "Parade of Bands, Parts 1 and 2." There were six sides in this series all told, based on a very popular part of the Himber band's stage act, and really capture the essence of the imitated bands -- the Goodman Quartet segment is especially good, complete with a convincing faux Lionel Hampton on vibes.

kools

Practically Family
Back to work...
Last 5 songs:
Heavy Juice-Tiny Bradshaw
Hoodoo Man Blues-Junior Wells
I Want a Tall Skinny Papa-Tiny Bradshaw with Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Voot Boogie-Slim Gaillard
I Ain't Got Nobody-Fats Waller

Lenore

Practically Family
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mrd14PxaUco&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mrd14PxaUco&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Nightwatch. It's the radio prototype of cops, and absolutely fascinating, especially if you want to hear real people's accents

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to take a fistful of headache pills by --

Starting off with Fats Waller and his Rhythm in 1935 and an ever-so-relaxing rendition of "Loafin' Time." "Herman, don't you know doin' nothin' ain't no sin?" "Oh, that's how you keep fat!"

Next up, ahead to 1938 and off to the east end of London, with Al Donahue and His Orchestra doing "The Lambeth Walk!" Oi!

kools

Practically Family
Last 5 today...
Why We Must Part-Earl Hines & His Orchestra
Play Fiddle Play-Slam Stewart!
On The Beam-Gene Krupa 1939 radio broadcast
Song Of The Islands-Les Paul
Get Rhythm-Johnny Cash

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Relaxing after fitting gas pipe in the little house.

Columbia, (Eng) CB692 "I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues" Benny Goodman and His Orchestra (Vocal by Jack Teagarden)

Victor 25368 "From Monday On" Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra

Columbia E 1917 "Barushka" Hubda Sokolska-Kapelnik Herman

Victor 22540 "Indian Love Call" Piano solo by Rudolph Friml

Odeon 17031 "Ty, ty, ty jsi vinnejsi" Kapela Pana Hermana, PRAHA

Columbia D. B. 3422 "Mad Dog" New Orleans Bootblacks

Columbia 2513D "Sugar Foot Stomp" Fletcher Henderson and His Orchestra

Victor 27302 "Muskrat Ramble" Prof. Sidney Bechet (w/ Dr Henry Levine and His Barefooted Dixieland Philharmonic)

RCA Victor 20-3061 "After Hour Stuff" Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra

Mercury 2042 "Farewell Blues" Prairie Ramblers

Brunswick 4021 "Ragging the Scale" Anglo-Persians

Vocalion 3213 "Grand Terrace Swing" fletcher Henderson and his Orchestra

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to force down another fistful of headache pills by --

Starting off in 1936 with a prototypical mid-thirties dance band record, Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra and "There's A Small Hotel." Durelle Alexander takes the vocal, sounding every bit like the teenager she was.

Next, jumping ahead ten years to 1946 and the biggest novelty song hit of the postwar era, here performed by Dusty Fletcher with Jimmy Jones and his Orchestra -- "Open The Door, Richard!". "I know he ain't gone out nowhere, 'cause *I* got on the clothes!" It's a pity Fats Waller didn't live long enough to record this one.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
iTunes to cuss at iDVD by...

Vibraphonia, Joe Venuti Blue Five, 1933.
Just used it as the opening music for a little instructional project.
Thanks to the magic of proprietary software, I have to choose a stupid theme menu for the disc to burn, then give it 20 minutes to "process" a 5 min clip.
I think the ghost of Jack Valenti is living in there, waiting to harass the poor shnook who just wants to make a little movie and put it on a disc.

For extra credit: Can You Solve the Mystery Noise???
Listen for the odd rhythmic effect at about 1:35 into the cut. This must have been someone messing with a sound effects board - you hear a phone bell, phone dial (ratchet), and a mysterious buzz tone in the key of F. What's that???

Fred Rich and his Orchestra -- Wishing And Waiting For Love (1929)
Columbia 1924-D

I'm always round by my lonesome
I'm missing kissing and want some
I'm getting nervous
Wishing and waiting for love

I'm gonna steal it from someone
I feel I can't get it from one
I got the fidgets

I got a gal, finest in town
It cost me most of my dough
I look my best when I get dressed
Then I have no place to go

I'm always round by my ownsome
I'm missing kissing and want some
I'm growing older

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to try and figure out the dream I just woke up from by --

Starting off in 1927 with Correll and Gosden, with Delos Owen at the piano, for some engaging close harmony on "Georgianna." This was by far the best-selling song record for C&G, but only because it has a Gene Austin tune on the other side.

Next, staying in 1927 for a rather understated ballad by Helen Kane -- yes, there were such things -- "Get Out And Get Under The Moon." She sounds rather like Zelma O'Neal crossed with Annette Hanshaw here, and there's not a boop-boop-a-doop to be heard. But she does do some nifty low-key scatting at the very end of the record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou