Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Vic 'n' Sade, wherein Rush tries to convince the Guv to let him and not Sade run the party a week from Saturday. Rush has big plans to liven it up; Vic remains uncommitted. Episode from March 3, 1938, entitled by someone as "Official Host."

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Currently listening to We Hold These Truths, from December 15th, 1941, a broadcast marking the 150th anniversay of the Bill of Rights. Jimmy Stewart is the narrator, with Lionel Barrymore, Orson Welles, and numerous others. Pretty intense script and delivery.

I will reserve judgement until I hear it through to the end, but should anyone listen to it because of my mention, despite its strong endorsement of constitutionally protected liberties, please know that I do take strong issue with the writer's attempt to portray the crucifixion of the Lord Jesus Christ as capital punishment for advocating free speech and the rights of human beings in a Roman Empire-dominated occupation. I am not trying to bait anyone or start an argument, but I do want to make plain my conviction on this one point of the program.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
This 1934 recording of The Marines' Hymn by Richard Himber's Ritz-Carlton Orchestra may be one of the least martial versions ever put on wax. It's definitely one of the rarest. Baritone Guy Russell (apparently never heard from again) gives it the old tremble-tonsil but comes off more Eagle Scout than Devil Dog.

Levallois

Practically Family
Bobby Darin Radio on Pandora - I didn't realize how talented that guy was. I was humming "Beyond the Sea" all day yesterday.

John

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I will reserve judgement until I hear it through to the end, but should anyone listen to it because of my mention, despite its strong endorsement of constitutionally protected liberties, please know that I do take strong issue with the writer's attempt to portray the crucifixion of the Lord Jesus Christ as capital punishment for advocating free speech and the rights of human beings in a Roman Empire-dominated occupation. I am not trying to bait anyone or start an argument, but I do want to make plain my conviction on this one point of the program.

Norman Corwin wasn't -- and isn't -- a member of any Christian faith. So his presenting a non-religious interpretation of the crucifixion is perfectly understandable, and especially so in the political climate of 1941. (For another interesting example of a non-religious Jesus-figure in prewar popular culture, listen to Barbara Stanwyck's speech at the end of "Meet John Doe." Corwin's works are part of that same tradition of prewar populism.)

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Irving Kaufman and His Orchestra - "Masculine Women and Feminine Men" (1926)

Since the Prince of Wales in ladies' dresses was seen,
What does he intend to be? The King, or the Queen?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Only in Holland

...one of the most densely populated countries on Earth, is the stertorous and unwieldy bass saxophone a common instrument. It can't just be the unlimited number of neighbors you can keep up at night with one. It must also be the Netherlander's knack of being irreverent yet respectful towards history. And if there's one thing the bass sax is, it's history.
[video=youtube;IaEMqmH27FA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaEMqmH27FA[/video]
Hein and Bert play Happy Feet as you could have heard it in 1930, but wouldn't have.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Sure is a great tune. Here's a very pleasant rendition by a Hot Club type ensemble out of Prague.
[video=youtube;a40Vtw0F3_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a40Vtw0F3_0[/video]
Music starts about 2:15, after a long speech by the leader, apparently roasting a gent named Simunek, who turns out to be an excellent fiddle player.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
You are welcome rue :)

Fletch, that was nice, i love violins in 1930s tunes :eusa_clap and that one in the Prague Ensemble was very good... nice guitar too! Thank you!

Roger Wolfe Kahn and his Orchestra -- My Silent Love (1932)
Columbia 2653-D
(vocal by Franklyn Baur)

Lyrics

I reach for you like I'd reach for a star
Worshipping you from afar
Living with my silent love
I'm like a flame dying out in the rain
Only the ashes remain
Smoldering like my silent love
How I long to tell all the things I have planned
Still it's wrong to tell
You would not understand