Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Home from work after a tiring day, and am greeted by "The Tinkle Song," one of the many cheerful novelty tunes tossed off by Kay Kyser and his Orchestra in 1939. Notable for some very pleasing harmonies on the vocal by Harry Babbitt and Ginny Simms, and by a solo on the musical glassware by Kyser himself -- perhaps the only instance of the Ol' Perfesser trying to actually play an instrument.

Next up -- my favorite Bing Crosby/Johnny Mercer duet, the immortal "Small Fry." "Heah now, break up all dat riffin'!"

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You leave your radio on during the day? For kittycat perhaps?

I am now playing Magnolia (1932) by the Ramblers Dansorkest from Holland. Here's the thing: I'm only playing it in my head. I haven't touched the record in years.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fletch said:
You leave your radio on during the day? For kittycat perhaps?

Oh yes, she resents being left alone, so the radio keeps her happy. Except when there's some trilling soprano on.

Right now, listening to a special 1939 broadcast, "Hollywood Fights To Save the Federal Theatre," with an all star cast protesting Congress's plan to cut funding for the WPA theatre program. Al Jolson has just sung a version of "Brother Can You Spare A Dime" that's positively spine-tingling.

S

Samsa

Frontier Ruckus - Abigail

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Mike1939 said:
Jack Hylton: Turn on the Heat
Not only good dance music but wonderful tunes to listen to while shaking up a few cocktails after a long day.

I think Jack Hylton was just great. His band had a lot of pep! Excellent, inventive arrangements.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Cocktail Mix, Vol. 2: Martini Madness

Just bought this CD with 18 tracks that might have been played at a "cocktail party" back in the 1960s. It is a fun combination of vocals and instrumentals dating from 1958 to 1967. This is the kind of music that was played at parties for adults back then. None of that "rock and roll" stuff here! There is a lot of bossa nova, plus jazz-pop and various other swinging styles. The perfect music to listen to while drinking martinis (not that I ever had a martini), yeah right! If you're a fan of the lounge music revival, you will enjoy this find.

1. Thirteen Men - Ann-Margret
2. Soul Sauce (Guacha Guaro) - Cal Tjader
3. The Girld From Ipanema - Walter Wanderley
4. Call Me - Nancy Wilson
5. Sorry 'Bout That (Part 1) - Harold Johnson Sextet
6. Comin' Home Baby - Mel Torme
7. Baby Elephant Walk - Rene Touzet
8. Soul Bossa Nova - Quincy Jones
9. Bossa Nova Hand Dance (Deixa Isso Pra La) - Connie Francis
10. Frenesi-Twist - Les Elgart & His Orchestra
11. Why Wait - Perez Prado & His Orchestra
12. House Of Bamboo - Earl Grant
13. Cantaloupe Island - Pucho & The Latin Soul Brothers
14. Hot Barbecue - Brother Jack McDuff
15. Mais Que Nada - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
16. Washington Square - Dick Hyman & His Orchestra
17. Take Five - Trudy Pitts
18. I'm Not Talking - Mose Allison

Bossa Nova Hand Dance
and House of Bamboo were featured last week on ABC's "Dancing With The Stars". They're tunes that once you hear, you can't get them out of your head. I had to search for an album that contained them and finally came up with this rare disc.

BTW, Patrick, did you attend the Michael Bublé concert? How was it?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yarbbirds

I am currently reliving the Yardbirds! Some late discovered recordings, some live with Eric on guitar, others with Jeff and Jim. It is nice to hear Keith Relf's passionate delivery and his blazing harp, especially on the lives blues numbers. Some of those blues were Sonny Boy Williamson, live with the band, recorded on stage. An interesting peek into the London club scene of the era and the birth of British Blues. Rave up!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
I've been listening to a bunch of my older 78s that I just cleaned because I recently bought a floor model Victrola.

I also recently purchased a bunch of newer 78 albums (1940s era) that I'm playing on our 1960s dual needle console.
You can see some of them on my record collection Flickr page, link here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremyhopkin/sets/72157601130561663/

2362464165_0e42558dce_s.jpg
2363290102_01bc2546cb_s.jpg
2378888766_f38c4884a1_s.jpg
2362461207_1cf842934f_s.jpg
2411202883_92c502de2c_s.jpg
2363289372_c812cef491_s.jpg
2411202517_a0fcf3527a_s.jpg
2363292012_de42f2282a_s.jpg
2378051433_1cb082c48e_s.jpg
2363291040_5660db94bd_s.jpg

It's such a ritual to play these records in the way they were intended, but it happily makes me feel like I'm in an era before my time when I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters