Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
At a recent retro-dance event, a young couple that we got talking to, were shocked by the lyrics of Shake, Rattle & Roll. The version that had just been played was by Bill Haley & The Comets. It was the line about a one-eyed-snake peeping in a sea food store that had so coloured the young lady's cheeks. I told her that the original, by Big Joe Turner, was of a genre that, at the time, shocked middle class America. It was dubbed: Devil's music.
We had a giggle about the innuendo and I told them to look up Bull Moose Jackson's Big 10 inch.And then follow it with Jack Dupree's Shakin' mother for you. And for good measure, add Louis Jordan's Saturday Night Fish Fry.
Just as an exercise, I too looked them up on YouTube. You won't believe the amount of comments from listeners who were blown away by the, less than overt, connotations of these, and many other songs like them. Cracked me up, I thought it was common knowledge.

Very nice, 2jakes. I'm sure you and the song meant a lot to him.
Here's a song that has always reminded me of my Son ever since he was small (he's 21 now).......

[video=youtube;Zw-sYpEb6nc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-sYpEb6nc[/video]

That’s really nice.
If you don’t mind, may I ask you as a son , why. Even if it’s a short reply.
It will help me more than you will ever know.
Sincerely,
J

I think it's because my Son began exhibiting a very unique loving heart and forgiving nature at a very young age, and it continues though to this day. My appreciation of that rare blessing that arrived with him seemingly since birth enhances my hopes for him to maintain that unusual quality throughout this tough and tumble life that we all must face. The lyrics and music of the song 'Simple Man' has always expressed to me how grateful I am for my Son's presence and wish that he never allows the harshness in life to ever extinguish his natural kind character. Kind of a long explanation, but it's the best one that I've got. ;)
HD

It can never be too long for me.

Thank You.

I would like to feel that my Dad thought enough to convey it in a song also.

Your son is a fortunate man.

The relationship between a man and his Son isn't always easy, but a caring Dad will often realize this..and why the game sometimes plays out that way. When your Dad related that his favorite song reminded him of you..well, that says a lot, don't ya know..;)
HD

Stand By

One Too Many
I'm listening to Absolute 80s - a great internet radio station from the UK - as today is "Back To The Future Day" (the day that BTTF2 was set in), they're playing all the music from 1985 - when I was 18 and the first movie came out! I'm loving it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou