Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

A couple of favorites of mine, especially "Big Iron".

From the official site of the Arizona Rangers.
image.jpeg

A couple of favorites of mine, especially "Big Iron".

From the official site of the Arizona Rangers.
View attachment 45156
Mine also. My grandmother's family name is one of the "Old 300" that went with Stephen F. Austin to settle TX. I have several ancestors who were early Texas Rangers. I've been to the museum & research center in Waco. And I have found most of their graves.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Dear God, thank you for helping me get and play the melodeon and harmonica. I am extremely grateful for these gifts! Amen.

Today I have recorded It's A Small World on my Accordiola Mundinger Diaton III Grand Luxe club accordion. :D

Enjoy! :D

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Looks like these folks have a different conclusion!
Rumba | American Sabor...
160tnm.gif
Don Azpiazú certainly was a pioneer in the introduction of Cuban rhythms into American popular music. His sessions of May 15th and July 2nd 1929 were important. The May 15th recording of "El Manciero", which was issued in September of 1930, eventually became quite popular but when it initially was issued in October of that year it proved to be a slow seller. The November, 1930 issue of the Havana Novelty Orchestra's waxing of "Mama Inez" was, however, quite a sensation. Don Azpiazú had recorded the title at his second session, but it was not issued, for Nat Shilkret felt that it was rhythmically "in distinct". He recorded his own "improved" version, in the American "Rhumba" tempo, with the sensationally improved recording characteristic which his specially set up Victor Orchestra allowed. The Ben Selvin cameo on this side was an important part of the record's appeal, I think. Note that sales of "Mama Inez" we're very high, probably two or three copies to every one of any of Don Azpiazu's 1929 records.

The Don Azpiazú records only really began to sell well after he was featured on a regualar radio program. The importance of the Havana Novelty Orchestra to the 1930's craze for Cuban rhythms has seldom been acknowledged because of the "impure" nature of the band. It was a studio orchestra, not a genuine Latin band, but it put the musical style on the map for the majority of America, and probably was responsible for Azpiazú getting his radio spot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails