Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Y'know, I know he was never a mainstream artist, but I never did understand why this song didn't become a staple for garage/bar bands after it was released.

Thanks for that, Jim. I thought I was back listening to the King Biscuit Flower Hour for a moment. I don't think Zappa ever gave a damn about going mainstream.

Thanks for that, Jim. I thought I was back listening to the King Biscuit Flower Hour for a moment. I don't think Zappa ever gave a damn about going mainstream.

I agree, but I also think he wanted people to listen to what he had to say. I'll mangle the quote, but as his career went forward, he once described his composing as getting narrower in appeal to where he figured he would have an audience of one - himself.

But I still think it's a great bar band song. If I could play something other than a radio, it would be in my set list.

Cocker

Practically Family

Been somewhat discovering Betty Hutton lately. Like a lot of people, I only knew It's Oh So Quiet, and listened to other songs from her lately. Pretty funny!

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
The White Rabbit is fantastic, too. I like it more than the Airplane's version.

To me the Great Society has a much looser, relaxed and jammed out garage band feel than the Airplane.

That makes sense since (from my understanding) their run was from 1965-1966. So, they antedate the 1967 hippie explosion when the big record companies swooped in to package that "San Francisco Sound". Airplane was sucked up into that mass culture phenomenon.

I suspect that for the Great Society there was a lot more artistic freedom to just do whatever the heck they wanted to.

I like that kind of junk. Lots of space for grooving.

Circumstances seem similar to what happened with Seattle and "grunge" in the '90s. For that matter, guess that's what always happens when a new thing catches on across the wider culture. (Kind of a captain obvious statement there.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21