Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
Thank you Nik, but sadly, when i click on "Congratulate Me" it takes me to something called - Volume 9 Three Little Fishes- .... :( right song not playing :(

My apologies that is a compilation of Ambrose with the entire version of your song. It is entitled that volume is entitled, "Three Little Fishes"

I have found others performing your song on youtube however you seem intent on this one...[huh]

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
My apologies that is a compilation of Ambrose with the entire version of your song. It is entitled that volume is entitled, "Three Little Fishes"

I have found others performing your song on youtube however you seem intent on this one...[huh]

Oh! but that is fine ! As long as it is from the 1930s it'd be great! If you can post the songs you found would be nice! Thank you :D

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I love a mystery Hadley...
This is definitely a "recreation" performance - made years later. You can tell by the crisp "live" sound and the bright tone of the horns.

Perhaps it's from "Westy" Westenhoffer's CD. He's a great bassist and comic vocalist from the LA area. He only lists 8 musicians though - this sounds like a bigger band.

Johnnie Scat Davis cut a really hot take of this tune for Decca in '34, but it's a real rarity.

Last edited:

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
"Congratulate Me" Lyrics by Bob Rothberg Music by Lou Handman Performed by Jack Hylton

The song was featured in "The Front Page" (1974) Jack Lemmon .......

This what I have so far....not 1930's though.....

[video=youtube;Vu2DpBs_4BY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu2DpBs_4BY[/video]

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
"Congratulate Me" Lyrics by Bob Rothberg Music by Lou Handman Performed by Jack Hylton

The song was featured in "The Front Page" (1974) Jack Lemmon .......

This what I have so far....not 1930's though.....

[video=youtube;Vu2DpBs_4BY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu2DpBs_4BY[/video]

Yes, the lyrics are by Bob Rothberg and the music by Lou Handman.... but ....The Duffy String High School Band????

No Nik, sorry that is not what i had a mind. Thank you very much Nik, for all your trouble anyway. :)

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
Yes, the lyrics are by Bob Rothberg and the music by Lou Handman.... but ....The Duffy String High School Band????

No Nik, sorry that is not what i had a mind. Thank you very much Nik, for all your trouble anyway. :)

I am aware of that ....like I said Jack Hylton seems to be what you may be looking for......and musicians play music....age is not a requirement.....you are welcome anyway.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I love a mystery Hadley...
This is definitely a "recreation" performance - made years later. You can tell by the crisp "live" sound and the bright tone of the horns.

Perhaps it's from "Westy" Westenhoffer's CD. He's a great bassist and comic vocalist from the LA area. He only lists 8 musicians though - this sounds like a bigger band.

Johnnie Scat Davis cut a really hot take of this tune for Decca in '34, but it's a real rarity.

Thanks for that. I will try to buy that recreation or the CD from Ambrose or Lombardo or Hylton as soon as possible.

It's obvious that a full 1930s, 40s version of the song is not available online.

Again, thanks everybody for the help.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Radio to scour the kitchen floor by --

It's May 12, 1937, and the combined networks of NBC are presenting six hours of continuous coverage of the coronation of King George VI, relayed by shortwave from the BBC direct from Westminster Abbey. Absolutely absorbing to hear -- which is no doubt my Loyalist ancestry coming to the fore.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Radio to pretend it isn't 37 degrees outside by --

It's October 10, 1937 and the National Broadcasting Company takes us to the Polo Grounds for Game 5 of the World Series between the Giants and Yankees. One of the broadcasters is a 29-year-old up-and-comer named Red Barber, who in only his third year as a play-by-play announcer is every bit as poised and polished and perfect as he'd be thirty years later. He's one of the most gifted individuals ever to work in radio, and one of the few cases where the legend lives up to the reality.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Sittin' Around on Sunday - Bill Staffon & Orch., 1935. Tufts University's own dance band with the pretty Bennett Sisters singing about "reading the funnies in [their] undies...hopin' that Monday won't come round." Move over, girls.

You're the Cream in My Coffee - California Ramblers, 1928. By Edison electrical recording, a crisp treatment including a great trombone/slapped bass passage. There seems to be a bass sax in there too, way in the back where he can't cause any trouble.

Miss Wonderful - Ambrose & Orch., 1929. British bands used to be accused of not swinging, but in the 20s Ambrose's rhythm section was looser than many US units'. Their beat relied more on cymbal work, less on a relentlessly clanking banjo.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've been listening for the past two days to continuous NBC Radio coverage of the JFK Assassination, as preserved on the logging tapes of WLW Cincinnati. This was the last big event to be covered by radio in the Golden Era tradition, with several of the same commentators who broadcast continuous coverage of D-Day nineteen years earlier still active at the mike. Hard news is interspersed with in-depth commentary and analysis, and interviews. (I was six months old at the time, so I wasn't yet paying close attention to such things.)

WLW broke into its local programming at about 130pm on November 22nd, and went with continuous network coverage for the rest of the weekend, pausing only for local cancellation notices and weather forecasts. As a bizarre bit of historical curiosity, the program on the air when the bulletin came was a record show, presenting the original soundtrack album of the Broadway musical "Li'l Abner." Alas, Dogpatch was no Camelot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy