Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

martinsantos

Practically Family
After a sucessful attack in a 2nd hand record store came to home with a large pack of LPs... The first one is very curious. "Skippy Martin and his abollitionists" with music inspired by the "The Untouchables". One of those LPs where you can really feel all musicians getting fun with that.

By the way, how is called in English used books and recordings store? "Alfarrabist" is too pedantic, and no translation for our slang term "sebo" (means dirty, ugly, old books).

Harp

I'll Lock Up
By the way, how is called in English used books and recordings store? "Alfarrabist" is too pedantic, and no translation for our slang term "sebo" (means dirty, ugly, old books).

I patronize Bookie's, a Chicago used book/record shop,
whose handle monicker aptly describes its trade-in-no questions
asked policy. I've bought more than one stolen calf there....[angel]:washing:

Derek WC

Banned
[video=youtube;oybrtHMx_0o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oybrtHMx_0o[/video]

I've recently discovered this channel, and by gobs, if you like the 20's music as much as I do, you'll have a hoot!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
We Can Live on Love (we haven't got a pot to cook in) - Glenn Miller & Orch., 1939.
5463336227_3c33fc7c79_o.jpg

You'll never hear me posting a Miller recording anyone's ever heard of. I like this one because it captures the band just before they started to break big. They're just getting to be commercial, but they're loud!! and a little raw - like Count Basie turned up to 11 and run thru a Maytag wringer washer with extra borax.
Miller, ever the reluctant soloist, by now had refined his trombone sound to a thin drawl of perfect staleness. If Charlie Brown's teacher had been on the phone in 1939, she'd have sounded like Glenn.

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I've recently discovered this channel, and by gobs, if you like the 20's music as much as I do, you'll have a hoot!

Thank you Derek! Aaron 1912 has great songs there.
This one from his site i love...... It's from Ray Starita it's sweet ,romantic, right down my alley when it comes to late 1920s slows ;) i can almost see flappers dancing to it... :D

[video=youtube;5XMM3SxLbw8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XMM3SxLbw8[/video]

Ray with the nice shoes
rstarita05.jpg

and this is Ray Starita in the 1960s .... it's comforting to know that some survived the wild 20s and early 30s ..... what a great dance band he had!:eusa_clap
Ray_Starita_61.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Tchaikovsky, Serenade for Strings (II. Waltz):coffee:

Clouds clustered in pagan grey
turn a mythic, mystic rose,
Heaven's heralds of the day,
burning embers, amber glows.
Breeze through rushes,
shhhh...and hushes,
in silent awe at a maiden's blushes,
Conceiving the Sun.

Joseph Pearce, Summer Theologiae

Last edited:

martinsantos

Practically Family
Completely agree with you, Rue! Great song, make rain, make sun... But here is raining a lot too, and looks like a sad Monday.

Here I'm with Glen Gray playing Hoagy Carmichael.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful Ethel Waters, "Taking a Chance On Love" form the amazing movie "Cabin in the Sky"(1943)

"Here I slide again
About to take that ride again
Starry eyed again
Taking a chance on love " ---love that song!:)

[video=youtube;Ue_jOJ8GfhI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_jOJ8GfhI[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo