Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

vinspired

Familiar Face
The secret memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis / a novel by Ruth Francisco
This book is fiction - the author has done a great job trying to think like the once first lady.

Now I am half-way through - The moon's a balloon : reminiscences / David Niven

savoy6

New in Town
re-reading a 1949 edition of "Esquire's Guide for Hosts"...that i got at my local library for 50 cents...not only does it have both food and drink recipes from that time period,it also deals with just about any issue a host could face,from what to do with drunken guests ,party games,to the "how to" of good conversation...

Corto

A-List Customer
I'm reading With the Cossacks: Being The Story Of An Irishman Who Rode With The Cossacks Throughout The Russo-Japanese War by Francis McCullagh.

It's absolutely fascinating first-person reportage of a bygone era and the vanished culture of the Cossacks. If you're a Russophile, or have any interest in the Russian Civil War this will give you some interesting context for the events of the Revolution (as well as Russia's continuing problems with Chechnya).

If you're curious about the Russo-Japanese War, this book will give you a ringside seat to the Japanese surprise attack on Port Arthur as well as a look at what horse-mounted, joint, maneuver warfare was like at the dawn of the 20th century.

Despite his weak-minded and annoying anti-Semitism, McCullagh can definitely turn a phrase.

Cricket

Practically Family
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton.

I checked the movie out at the library and instantly fell in love. The book is so much better in my opinion. I about a third of the way through it and can't wait to continue.

It has made me what to invest in her other pieces which I have never read.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I'm currently reading Killer on the Road by James Ellroy. It's an interesting read, as it is written as the autobiography of the psychopathic main character, written about his life once he's finally caught.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
This:
Easter+picnic+april+10+013.jpg

vinspired

Familiar Face
ThesFlishThngs said:

Hi ThesFlishThngs - is the book any good?
I have read mixed reviews.
I have read - Flapper: a madcap story of sex, style, celebrity, and the women who made America modern / Joshua Zeitz - It was okay, not great.
But it would be great to read an English side of things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn