Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
i really love biographies people are so interesting. i just finished AVA ava gardners autobiography as well as high on arrival whick is mackenzie phillips autobiography and i have just begun dont shoot its only me which is bob hopes biography.

WH1

Practically Family
Just finished When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro, the author of Remains Of The Day. Interesting book but I will admit to being a bit frustrated with the protaginist who is a self absorbed twit for much of the second half. The majority of the book takes place in Shanghai's international settlement during the interwar period which is fascinating. Regardless the writing and Ishiguro's use of language is phenomenal and it was wonderful to read a book which made me reach for my thesaurus at times.:)

LordBest

Practically Family
Just finished The Journal of Roman Studies Volume Ninety Four, Reconstructing the Serapeum in Alexandria from the Archaeological Evidence . I feel vaguely embaressed that I read it for pleasure.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
At the moment...

To relax: "Odd Hours" by Deen Koontz
For swarming: "Art of the Flight Jacket" by Jon A. Maguire and John P. Conway

The Fleischer Story: In the Golden Age of Animation by Leslie Cabarga (New York: The Nostalgia Press, 1976)

An illustrated history of the Max Fleischer studio which produced the Betty Boop and Popeye cartoons in the 1930s. Among the illustrations are some of the model sheets which aided the animators in drawing Betty Boop and the other Fleischer characters.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm rereading Pierre Clostermann's "The Big Show" for the 4th time. One of my most favourite reads. William Faulkner actually called it the greatest book to come out of WWII.

I love it every time I pick it up.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Revisiting "Live Alone And Like It -- A Guide for the Extra Woman," by Marjorie Hills, the classic 1936 handbook for the independent woman. ("Extra Woman" was thirties slang for a woman who is not married or otherwise part of a couple.) Of course, we all know women were never encouraged to be independent until the sixties, but somehow no one ever bothered to tell Marjorie Hills or her millions of eager readers about this.

Mav

A-List Customer
About halfway through yet another analysis of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Just borrowed Hamlet's Mill from a buddy, which is supposed to be a decent analysis of myth- as- insight- into- antedeluvian- culture- and- technology thing.
Nelson DeMille needs to come out with another military intelligence/ spy novel.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Reading "Zelda" and deciding on a new Hairstyle from Robert Robert's style guide on page 52"

4597776017_8da927eb65.jpg

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Doc Savage Magazine

Doc Savage Magazine #143 - "Violent Night"
Lester Dent - January/1945

In a cold intent voice that brought sanity into the situation, Doc Savage said, “I am going to shoot the Fuehrer if anyone makes a move.”

Doc Savage is soooo cool :rolleyes:

SayCici

Practically Family
Tenuki said:
I'm reading Margaret Atwood's "Moral Disorders," which is described as short stories about a woman through different stages in her life. I'm not far enough into the book to see how this differs from her usual style of jumping chapters through time. Though this lack of understanding doesn't detract from the reading enjoyment. Perhaps my partner's speculation will prove correct: it's short stories because Miss Atwood couldn't weave a plot to connect the chapters.

Tenuki, I love Margaret Atwood! What else of hers have you read?

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Mav said:
...Just borrowed Hamlet's Mill from a buddy, which is supposed to be a decent analysis of myth- ...

Mav,

Do hope you update us on how you like Hamlet's Mill. I think this is an under-appreciated, almost lost, work on monomyth. I also recall respecting Santillana's general theme that intelligent civilizations existed much longer than is now commonly accepted.

I am finishing up Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon. Much more approachable than his Gravity's Rainbow.

Peace,

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred