Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

djd

Practically Family
More than halfway through John Buchan's "Greenmantle" ("sequel" to The 39 Steps).
Aside from some offensive politically incorrect stuff, this is an excellent vintage WWI-era spy thriller about British intelligence operators tasked with unmasking the nature of a German plot in the British Middle East during 1915. Fantastic stuff.

gm.jpg

Great choice. I love those books. Greenmantle is perhaps the best of them and loosely based on a real german plot to start an Islamic revolution in the East if I recall correctly?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I need to see if I can find a copy of his work anywhere around the various Pentagon sites I haunt...

Remember Col Boyd never published any books on his concepts, it was all contained in slide presentations such as "Patterns of Conflict."

Aerial Attack Study; Fighter vs Bomber; Fighter vs Fighter,
John Boyd's genesis has been published; also, Osinga's PhD thesis,
Science, Strategy, War-The Strategic Theory of John Boyd scours
Boyd's papers, slides, lectures, in sum, the Boyd canon-objectively
appraised by a professional officer. These two books will provide a solid
core foundation for further study and subsequent thesis cite.
Other professional theses-declassified from the Air University and penned
by captain/major rank students certainly add a fresh perspective.

I love Air U--have used many of its students' published papers as sources in my own writings, including Col. A. Lee Harrell's Weaseling in the BUFF, which I used as a foundation for a next-step argumentative paper about rebuilding the B-52 into a full-spectrum air-defense killer, effective against both fighters and AAA/SAMs.

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I thought you probably had Air University bookmarked. Two jobs ago I worked at Holloman Air Force Base. Working with Air War College students (the distance version) was one of the best parts of the job. Not World War II related, but one of the instructors at the base wrote a book : The Warthog and the Close Air Support Debate. Yours truly got her first, and to date only thank you by an author. Yes, I am:cool2:

I assume you also use DTIC?

WH1

Practically Family
QUOTE=Harp;1247266]Aerial Attack Study; Fighter vs Bomber; Fighter vs Fighter,
John Boyd's genesis has been published; also, Osinga's PhD thesis,
Science, Strategy, War-The Strategic Theory of John Boyd scours
Boyd's papers, slides, lectures, in sum, the Boyd canon-objectively
appraised by a professional officer. These two books will provide a solid
core foundation for further study and subsequent thesis cite.
Other professional theses-declassified from the Air University and penned
by captain/major rank students certainly add a fresh perspective.[/QUOTE]

[huh]Dang, I misspoke, knuckledragger apologizes.:eusa_doh::eek: Teach me to play among the academics and gods of the air.;) I have Osinga's book on order.

Feraud

Bartender
Reading a biography of the most curmudgeonly film director to put an image on the big screen. The book is Print the Legend: The Life and Times of John Ford by Scott Eyman.

I assume you also use DTIC?
Funny thing, my prof's old "Boss Bird" from his 318th FIS days, F-106A #56-0454 is in the Holloman base museum; I've long wished I could buy a Boneyard Six, flip it for 454 and restore his old bird for display in a local museum. (Wet-dream would be somehow having had the 318th's 106B not get droned and blown, restore 'em both to flight status and park 'em at my backyard airstrip.)

Used it a very little, but as I have no official creds my usual vectors of approach are through AFHRO, and since the Navy says "unless you're one of us Go Bleep Yourself" I backchannel wet-side work through a friend in the Resto Shop at NMNA Pensacola who refers my queries to appropriate venues through their research librarians. (I must owe Rob a week's worth of lunches when I get down to P-cola...)

Funny thing, would you believe "Col. Norm" was one of the officers who had to shepherd the A-10 program through getting spun-up in the Pentagon, and had to go head-to-head with a bunch of his ex-buddies in the Pointynose Mafia to do it? (Then again, being more "enlightened" may be why he became an EX-fighter pilot.LOL)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
[huh]Dang, I misspoke, knuckledragger apologizes.:eusa_doh::eek:

Order a 27oz Porterhouse steak, medium well, a Labrot&Graham Woodford Reserve bourbon over ice; coffee later with a Macanudo Maduro (Locatelli's Violin Concerto No. 6 in G Minor plays softly) and study tomorrow's Thoroughbred racing form. ;)

WH1

Practically Family
Order a 27oz Porterhouse steak, medium well, a Labrot&Graham Woodford Reserve bourbon over ice; coffee later with a Macanudo Maduro (Locatelli's Violin Concerto No. 6 in G Minor plays softly) and study tomorrow's Thoroughbred racing form. ;)

All excellent choices but over here more likely get something with loaf in the title, warm/hot bottle of water depending on time of day, a Sumatra Dark roast coffee with a Padron 1964 Anniversario Corona Natural (only two good vices we get) the dulcet tones of a 240 and study yesterdays BDA.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
All excellent choices but over here more likely get something with loaf in the title, warm/hot bottle of water depending on time of day, a Sumatra Dark roast coffee with a Padron 1964 Anniversario Corona Natural (only two good vices we get) the dulcet tones of a 240 and study yesterdays BDA.

After DEROS then.... Stay low...
...and try Boyd's Ps=[T-D/W]V to calculate equine formulaic variables
if you can get some Riyadh R&R. :)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Going to start Lillian Jackson Braun's first novel, The Cat Who Could Read Backwards. She recently passed away at the age of 97. She wrote up until the age of 93 when ill health forced her to retire.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Georges Simenon's works.
..because I'm fascinated by his character: Jules Maigret

People know about Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. People love reading Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.
But, Maigret is just as great as they are. And this week I got a shocking info: in the last 10 years, in our library, I was the ONLY ONE who took any of the books about "commissaire Maigret". Why? ..it's located on the "French literature" shelf. Sad, but true..

I picked this one up at Barnes & Noble last night:

Attack of the Airacobras: Soviet Aces American P-39s & the Air War Against Germany
by Dmitriy Loza
(Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 2002)

0700616543.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Just got through reading "Kiss Her Goodbye" by Mickey Spillane and Max Allen Collins. It was one of Spillane's unfinished Mike Hammer books that was given to Collins to finish after Spillane passed away. Spillane told his wife to give them to Collins and that he would know what to do with them. If you like reading Mike Hammer stories this is a great book.

Kirk H.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Georges Simenon's works.
..because I'm fascinated by his character: Jules Maigret

People know about Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. People love reading Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.
But, Maigret is just as great as they are. And this week I got a shocking info: in the last 10 years, in our library, I was the ONLY ONE who took any of the books about "commissaire Maigret". Why? ..it's located on the "French literature" shelf. Sad, but true..

Thanks Stray Cat. I have heard of the books but not have gotten around to reading them. I will have to check them out.

Kirk H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic