Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
carebear said:
Food and culture?

You've then, of course, read "Salt"? "A History of the World in 6 Glasses"?

My next one in the genre is "Cod".

"Salt", no, but thank you for the recommendation :)

"A History of the World in 6 Glasses", yes.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Right now it's Peter Townsend's: Duel of Eagles.
Waiting on the shelf:
Winston Churchill's: Memoirs of the Second World War I and II.
(Birthday and Christmas present from my mother in law:) )

Salv

One Too Many
I recently finished the most recent of Lawence Block's series of Matt Scudder books, #16 All The Flowers Are Dying. I only picked up the first in the series late last year, got immediately hooked and soon worked my way through the rest. Scudder is a marvellous character - an alcoholic ex-cop, living in Mahattan, seperated from his wife and family and working as a P.I., although he descibes his job as doing favours for people, who pay him what he thinks the favour is worth. The character development throughout the series is beautifully handled, with Scudder trying to kick the booze and sort out his life and friendships. The supporting cast are equally strong with several characters regularly appearing once they are introduced: Elaine Mardel, a prositute Scudder knew from his days as a police officer; TJ, a black street kid who Scudder meets on 42nd Street; Mick Ballou, an Irish-French-American mobster who becomes one of Scudders closest friends; and various shady characters with information to trade and help to give.

This latest book is one of the best in the series - along with 8 Million Ways To Die and When The Sacred Ginmill Closes - with Scudder now in his 60s, facing one of the most amoral murderers ever invented.

I'm now reading Harlan Corben's Deal Breaker which was part of a set of 10 crime novels I bought for £9.99 from a discount bookseller called The Book People. Each of the books is the first in a series, and the set includes two I have already read, the first Scudder novel, and the first Harry Bosch novel by Michael Connelly, but that still leaves 8 books for just a tenner.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Lancealot said:
I just got caught up with a great fantasy series by George R R Martin. TheSong of Ice and FIre it's been a great read and I can't wait for the remainder of novels to come out.

Funny you mention it, I had never heard of these books before and then all of a sudden about two days ago, everyone seems to be talking about them.

I'm working on the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, but I haven't had much time to read lately.

Novella

Practically Family
At the moment I'm reading "Hollywood Goes to War" by Clayton Koppes and Gregory Black.

Zach R. said:
I'm working on the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, but I haven't had much time to read lately.

Oh, that is such a good book! I'd eventually like to get around to reading more of Michael Chabon's work.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm enjoying Alex Kershaw's latest "The Few" about the handful of Americans who defied their country's neutrality laws to fight in the Battle of Britain. Very good read.

Lancealot

Practically Family
Zach R. said:
Funny you mention it, I had never heard of these books before and then all of a sudden about two days ago, everyone seems to be talking about them.

If you decide to start them be prepared you get hooked on them fast.

Sunny

One Too Many
Yesterday I read the first John Carter of Mars book, A Princess of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It was quite good.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
I'm enjoying Alex Kershaw's latest "The Few" about the handful of Americans who defied their country's neutrality laws to fight in the Battle of Britain. Very good read.

...I started a thread about The Few in the WWII forum; went to my
local bookstore, then lost the book somewhere here in my strewn apartment.
(This occasionally happens to bachelor nerds like me) When I find it-hopefully
before the film is released-will immediately read through cover-to-cover.:eek:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Ruby Slippers said:
I am now reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.

...Joyce's dreary Dubliner, Stephen Dedalus is a memorable protagonist.
His story continues in Ulysses, which was censored here in the USA
until 1933 when Judge John M Woolsey lifted its ban. Joyce is most
intriguing in Portrait, but his theological bias detracts his
later work.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harp said:

Harp,

Let me know when there's enough of us to form a support group. :D

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sunny said:
Yesterday I read the first John Carter of Mars book, A Princess of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It was quite good.

Ah yes, the touching love story between man and monotreme... :D

Those and the Tarzan books are available for free download on Google.

Jovan

Suspended
Just recently got through reading I am Spock by Leonard Nimoy. Fascinating (no pun intended) autobiography of his work in acting and directing. Anyone who's even a casual watcher of Star Trek or just an aspiring actor will find it a great read.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
(thanks to MK) I've been absolutely hooked on this new book, 'Still life with crows' by Preston and Child ...after this one, I"ve had read every one that they've written, then it's the anxiously awaiting the new one part I'm not looking forward to!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Harp said:

It's not a bad read at all Harp. The movie is supposed to be based purely on the part about Billy Fiske, although I think that there's the possibility that the film will not go ahead now what with Cruise getting the flick from Paramount.

I got it initially for the Fiske part as I have been interested in him and collecting information on him for quite some time now. He fits well with my interest in both the Battle of Britain and the Cresta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou