Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
It's not a bad read at all Harp. The movie is supposed to be based purely on the part about Billy Fiske, although I think that there's the possibility that the film will not go ahead now what with Cruise getting the flick from Paramount.

I got it initially for the Fiske part as I have been interested in him and collecting information on him for quite some time now. He fits well with my interest in both the Battle of Britain and the Cresta.

I think Cruise still has sufficient muscle to get a project done, so I
hope he shops it to another studio. With the dearth of really good script
material--I mean, where else but the Bible or Shakespeare are such
magnificent themes found, if not in History; especially the Second World War?
Fiske is a fascinating character; irrespective of nationality, as were all
those who flew against the Third Reich during the Battle of Britain and
throughout the War.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Just finished Loretta Lynn's "Still Woman Enough" (LOVE HER!!)

and starting...Kate Chopin's "The Awakening" apparently it was published in 1899 and was so disturbing to critics & the public that it was banished for decades...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Harp said:
Fiske is a fascinating character

An Olympic double gold medallist, film producer, Le Mans race driver, Cresta rider who never fell on the run and Battle of Britain Hurricane pilot, all by the age of 29. Make a hell of a movie!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The Assassin's Cloak
edited by Irene and Alan Taylor
(An anthology of the world's greatest diarists)

I'm searching for de Beauvoir, Parker, and other salacious wits....;)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harp said:
Shaw aces Henry VIII in A Man For All Seasons.
The Borgia are more fascinating than the Medici....
And after the Tudors, there are the Stuarts.:)
Doing some reading up on the Medici's right now. Not nearly as fascinating as the Borgias:)

Thanks for the info on A Man For All Seasons. I actually read the book by Robert Bolt a while back. I'm gonna have to re-read it now that I'm going through this Tudor phase. I would like to know a bit more of Katherine of Aragon, before she married Henry VIII.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

"Thunderstruck", by the estimable Erik Larson, which I finished last night. It is the true account of Marconi's development of wireless telegraphy at the dawn of the 20th century, and how the new technology helped Scotland Yard nab a murdering doctor fleeing Europe on a ship. It is a good book, but not as engaging as Larson's "The Devil In The White City" (about the Chicago World's Fair and a serial murder) and "Isaac's Storm" (detailing the all-time king of natural disasters in America, the 1900 Galveston hurricane).

After that heavy stuff, I may reach for something by the very recently departed Sydney Sheldon.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Today I bought The Collected Colette...by Colette (;)) and a new biography of Modigliani at my local dream-bookshop (I'm in love with books and this place is just heaven...). Unfortunatly it's second hand and somebody's underlined passages. :rage: The Colette one is second-hand too (from 1983) and has a fantastic Art Deco drawing of a flapper-type girl at a vanity on the dust cover...and nobody's written anything in it. Yay!:D

Very productive day!

S

Samsa

JazzBaby said:
Today I bought The Collected Colette...by Colette (;)) and a new biography of Modigliani at my local dream-bookshop (I'm in love with books and this place is just heaven...). Unfortunatly it's second hand and somebody's underlined passages. :rage: The Colette one is second-hand too (from 1983) and has a fantastic Art Deco drawing of a flapper-type girl at a vanity on the dust cover...and nobody's written anything in it. Yay!:D

Very productive day!

I too became rather fond of a bookstore in Galway when I was visiting there, but for the life of me can't remember the name of the place...

The Winding Stair in Dulbin is still my favorite, though.

nulty

One of the Regulars
"All the Kings Men"

Robert Penn Warren...

Jack Burden has always been my hero and inspiration.....

such a hedonistic caustic non caring fellow you can't help but want to be that...

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
In the reading room

JazzBaby said:

Very productive day!

Collette is great reading. Enjoy... We went to a Modigliani exhibit last year. I love his stuff. I didn't go see the biopic on him with Andy Garcia after I read the reviews of it.

I'm reading The Winds of Change by Eugene Linden and Same Souls, Different Bodies by Brian Weiss, After New Formalism, edited by Annie Finch and some master gardening textbook stuff.

You do a great job starting forums, JazzBaby. Good questions :eusa_clap

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love 'em. Kinda acapella, quirky, witty. And really good tunes.

My fave "The Drinking Song", though "Morphee" is sweet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters