Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Sunny

One Too Many
Orgetorix said:
Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth, by J.R.R. Tolkien (ed. by his son Christopher)

Ooh, good stuff. My favorite is the part about Tuor.

Haversack

One Too Many
I've just started _The Huguenot Wars, An Eyewiness Account_ edited by Julien Coudy. It is a collection of letters written by a wide variety of people caught up in the religious/political wars between Catholics and Protestants in 16th C. France. If you remember the movie, _Queen Margot_ from a few years back, it is set in the middle of these events.

Haversack.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Haversack said:
I've just started _The Huguenot Wars, An Eyewiness Account_ edited by Julien Coudy.

Funny, I have a Huguenot ancestor who escaped from France at that time and settled in Switzerland's Jura mountains. He kept a journal which is still somewhere in the town he lived in. I went there years ago, but couldn't find the journal. :(

Shamus Dark

New in Town
I'm halfway through The Seventh Cross by Anna Seghers. It's a gripping tale about the escape of 7 German prisoners from a concentration camp. The story is set just before the second world war and the camps are full of German dissenters and those designated "subversive" etc. It's a very different take on Germany under Hitler and was apparently made into a film starring Spencer Tracey.

The book was never published here in England. I had to get it from Amazon. But I can recommend it to anyone vaguely interested in social conditions in Germany under the Third Reich.

Haversack

One Too Many
Huguenots had good reason to get out of France. From what I've read so far the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre was just the beginning. On the other hand, a lot the countries the Huguenots fled to benefitted due to the high level of education, literacy, and industriousness of the French Protestants. A small city I lived near in Germany was built in the 1680s by the local Margrave specificallly to be a home for Huguenot refugees and their talents. Due in part to this, it now houses an important university and is the world headquarters of Siemens.

Haversack.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Haversack said:
On the other hand, a lot the countries the Huguenots fled to benefitted due to the high level of education, literacy, and industriousness of the French Protestants.

Very true. My ancestor, Antoine Chevalier, fled in 1572 with his family to a little Swiss town (then a village) named Moutier. Antoine became the town's schoolmaster. Most of his descendants ended up as weapons makers, mercenaries, and blacksmiths. Presumably, the village didn't have need for too many schoolmasters.

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
Haruki Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. I've loved Murakami's writings since first reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World in college. It's good stuff. Check it out if you're unfamiliar with his work.

Jay

Practically Family
I'm currently reading Factotum by Bukowski and Flight of Passage by Rinker Buck. This is about the 5th time I've read Flight of Passage but it's just so damned good. I mean come on, two kids flying coast to coast in a Piper Cub in the mid 60s? Count me in.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
The Maltese Falcon. I just watch the DVD for the 1st time since I've joined the lounge and checked out the clothing and hats. Now I'm reading the book for the 1st time in years, it a pretty short book and Sam Spade in the book is more of a louse then the way Bogart played him and of course there are a lot of details that didn't make the movie. Bob.

Jovan

Suspended
cooncatbob said:
The Maltese Falcon. I just watch the DVD for the 1st time since I've joined the lounge and checked out the clothing and hats. Now I'm reading the book for the 1st time in years, it a pretty short book and Sam Spade in the book is more of a louse then the way Bogart played him and of course there are a lot of details that didn't make the movie. Bob.
I, for one, didn't really like the DB he wore. The button stance was just wrong and the sleeves too long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw