Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojave Jack said:
Ah! Then on to A History of the English-Speaking Peoples? A mere four volumes, after all.

I've had the box set on my shelf for years, and just never had the commitment to start it. It sits and waits, like The Fountainhead. I have so much reading that I should be doing, that guilt prevents me from picking up anything I that I can't read in a weekend! lol This thread will probably get me into trouble, too, dhermann!

HESP is on my once a year or so list, like Tolkein, Fehrenbach and "Naked Came the Sasquatch".

Sunny

One Too Many
houndstoothhat said:
Thanks Harp...I haven't read Junction Boys yet, but I have read more than a half dozen more books on the man. I wish there were more fedora-wearing coaches around these days. I guess its a bygone era. :( Oh well, I can always hope

Oh, our beloved Tom Landry... *sniff* :( :(

carebear

Just finished "Purity of Blood", the second "Captain Alatriste" novel. (sword for hire in Inquisition Spain)

and

Ruark's "Something of Value" about Kenya and the (poppa-oo-) Mau-Mau.

Feraud

Bartender
For you biography fans -

LOS ANGELES - A new biography of Ingrid Bergman casts fresh light on the making of the 1942 classic "Casablanca," in which none of its three stars wanted to appear. They never suspected that their roles would become the best-remembered of their careers.
In the newly published "Ingrid," Charlotte Chandler tells of a lunch Bergman and Humphrey Bogart had before filming. She comments that "Ingrid remembered that the only subject they found in common was how much they both wanted to get out of `Casablanca.'"
Link to the article.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Maybe slightly boring, but oh well....

I always read two books at a time-- something substantial and a fluff book. Just started Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond.... all about the history of the world's prominent cultures, and why some became the superpowers they are today while others continue to languish in poverty...
... some days I even bore myself! lol :eusa_doh: lol
And my fluff book is Voyage of Slaves in the Flying Dutchman series by Brian Jacques, an author who was a favorite of mine during childhood whom I still follow religiously:) .

carebear

Adelaidey said:
I always read two books at a time-- something substantial and a fluff book. Just started Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond.... all about the history of the world's prominent cultures, and why some became the superpowers they are today while others continue to languish in poverty...

Good book and very illustrative. I would recommend that after you finish it you look online for other historians and sociologists responses to many of Diamond's conclusions.

Or feel free to PM me for some links and synopsis.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i'm always reading multiple things at once too!

right now i'm reading:
- the way we never were: american families and the nostalgia trap by stephanie coontz

- odd girls and twilight lovers: a history of lesbian life in the 21st century
, by lillian faderman
- the anti 9-5 guide: practical career advice for women who think outside the cube by michelle goodman

i just finished the time traveler's wife and i have to admit, i really enjoyed it! i'm ready for another novel now to balance out the heavier and more though-provoking stuff.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
carebear said:
HESP is on my once a year or so list, like Tolkein, Fehrenbach and "Naked Came the Sasquatch".
How many time shave you read it, then?! Great Scott, I'd better get started!

Harp said:
...and when reading Churchill, brandy and cigars are mandatory.
Hmm. Too true. I have the cigars, but I'd better stock up on some brandy.

Matthew, have you read any of Les Hiddens' books? I've read of him, but I haven't laid my hands on any of his books, nor have I seen any of his TV episodes. He is quickly jumping to the top of my must read list. This is my kinda guy! On a side, sartorial, note, I told my wife that Blunnies went with shorts just fine! She forbade me to wear mine with shorts. :( Maybe if she sees the Bush Tucker Man in his, she'll let me wear mine! lol

90s_btm_big.jpg

Oh, and BTW, I think you're thinking of Messin' with Sasquatch! What's this naked stuff?! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace