Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

farnham54

A-List Customer
Miss Queenie, Mr. O'Brien should be paying you royalties. Your enthusiasm for the books comes through and you've certainly sold them to me (Obviously not 'sold' YOUR copy to me as I imagine, based on the review, you'll never part with them ;):D). I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Craig

Rosie

One Too Many
For pleasure, I'm reading May Summer Never End (written by a friend of mine, I don't normally read books like that) and The Way Foward is with a Broken Heart.

For work: Diagnostic Reading Inventory for Primary and Secondary Grades

With my class: Charlotte's Web

Sunny

One Too Many
Currently, Clive Cussler's Valhalla Rising. Given to me by one of my carpool buddies, since I'd never even heard of him.

I'm also reading Dickens's Bleak House in the car, since it's much easier to carry around. So far the first 4 chapters were a little ominous/sad/grim, but the next couple have been quite upbeat. This is untypical Dickens, so I'm wondering when the blow will fall. :D

I just finished a terrific collection of Dashiell Hammett Continental Op stories. The book was 500+ pages and I didn't want it to end. :(

moustache

Practically Family
Samuel Barber

Being a classical music freak(emphasis on latter word),i just started a biography of Samuel Barber.After that i shall be undertaking a splendid read of the Boer campaign in 1902.
Not sure past that.Perhaps Bill O'Reilly's new book "Culture Warrior".

JD

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
About 50 pages into Aldous Huxley's Crome Yellow.

A very satisfying read. Wonderfully written. Hilarious, in its own way.

bk
Baron, have you read The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell by Huxley? A truly fascinating alternate view of the world. I particularly liked his theory on the "mind at large" and the function of the human brain as a "reducing valve" to limit the distraction of the supernatural and allow us to concentrate on survival. I was inspired to read them after I read No One Here Gets Out Alive and learned that Huxley was the inspiration for the name of the band, The Doors.

On another note, it fascinates me that so many Loungers are reading multiple books simultaneously. I've always thought I was a bit odd for doing that, so I am glad to find I am in good company.

Lately I've finished Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger, and started re-reading Sabertooth: The Rip Roaring Adventures of a Legendary Game Warden and started Pogue's War: Diaries of a WWII Combat Historian. I've already started looking for Pogue's other works, which is just stacking up behind everything else, including Kipling's Life's Handicap and Willa Cather's Shadows on the Rock.

For those of you that like the Patrick O'Brian books, you might like to read Two Years Before the Mast, by Richard Dana. An absolutely fascinating autobiography, of his adventures when he left Harvard seeking adventure in the early 19th century.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
WSC

moustache said:
Being a classical music freak(emphasis on latter word),i just started a biography of Samuel Barber.After that i shall be undertaking a splendid read of the Boer campaign in 1902.
Not sure past that.Perhaps Bill O'Reilly's new book "Culture Warrior".

JD

Moustache:
Have you ever read Winston Churchill's The Malakand Field Force?

The Duke

One of the Regulars
bookshelf20705.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
"Hatless Jack" was an interesting read, but at the end, I felt the true answer wasn't really identified, just left as mysterious as when I began the book. But I learned some cool stuff along the way, so i still enjoyed it.

Etienne

A-List Customer
The Gift of Pain--by Paul Brand and Philip Yancey

As someone who has had 17 surgeries and is going in for 2 additional back surgeries soon, this title has an almost tongue-in-cheek name to me. But it is an incredible book and it puts pain in a framework that one rarely considers. I LOVED this book!

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Sidetracked on research I was supposed to be doing on cinematographer Harold Rosson, I just read Harlow: an Intimate Biography, in one sitting.

Not exactly literature and not exactly canonized nonfiction, but quite the escape. And quite the soap opera. Jean Harlot Harlow the Blond Bombshell / Sex Goddess didn't disappoint.

I think the most interesting fact gained from the read was this:
During the Great Depression, movie's biggest sex icon was marketed as the rich girl. (Jean Harlow)
During our greatest economic boon, the biggest sex icon was marketed as having risen from rags to riches. (Marylin Monroe)
Social opposites attract.

+ William Powell.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Just finished "Farnham's Freehold" by Robert Heinlein. Very good book, and apparantly very controversial when it was originally published.

Just started "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman. I only picked it up because he co-authored "Good Omens" with Terry Pratchett (of "Discworld" fame) and that was a good read. Their styles meshed well together.

-Jake

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Riposte3 said:
Just finished "Farnham's Freehold" by Robert Heinlein. Very good book, and apparantly very controversial when it was originally published.

-Jake

When it came out? It's controversial today. Setting aside the false accusations of racism, the concept of individual responsibility and the inevitable result (slavery) of the monopolization of power by a ruling class/government are the same trenchant warnings against statism as they were when Heinlein wrote it.

On a less strident note, I really like Gaiman's novels. Anansi Boys is next on my list. :D

If you aren't against comic books in theory I can recommend the graphic novels of his Sandman series (DC) as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran