Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

classyguy

Familiar Face
The Serial Killers Club

I just started this hilarious book by Jeff Povey. Its a satirical black comedy similar to something written by Bret Easton Ellis or Don DeLillo.

Synopsys: "When our unlikely hero runs into a murderer, he ends up killing the killer. Then he goes through his attacker's wallet and finds another shocker: an invitation to a party hosted by Errol Flynn. Errol Flynn? Isn't he dead? Intreagued, our hero crashes it--and discovers the Serial Killers Club. Its mission: share thrills and make sure members don't target the same victims. With aliases from old Hollywood, they include 'Tallulah Bankhead,' 'Richard Burton,' and soon, 'Douglas Fairbanks Jr.,' our hero himself. But 'Dougie' isn't going to waste the innocent. Instead, he plans to knock off the "stars" one by one. And when they notice their numbers dropping, he'll have to answer a killer question: Is he one of them--or not?"

If you like humerous books or black comedies be sure to check it out.

I just finished 'The Raw Shark Texts'. Kinda like 'The House of Leaves' but not a big...A highly recommended read. Both of them.

I am currently unable to decide what to read next, you know, when you read an amazing book and it seems to be the best book ever & then you don't think anything will ever be as good...Or is that just me :rolleyes:

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
I just finished 'The Raw Shark Texts'. Kinda like 'The House of Leaves' but not a big...A highly recommended read. Both of them.

You clearly like fiction that is experimental in form. I have a hunch you might enjoy Peter Matthiessen's Far Tortuga; also Ellen Raskin's The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon (I Mean Noel) (the latter is ostensibly a "children's book"). And, if you're feeling mightily ambitious, there is always William Gaddis's JR.

Chas

One Too Many
I always have at least two books in progress.

"Blue Monday: Fat Domino & The Lost History of Rock N Roll" by Rick Coleman.

"40 Miles A Day On Beans & Hay" ~ A history of soldiering during the Indian Wars in the West. Excellent.

"Duke Ellington" By Stanley Dance.

"Jazz Masters of The 1930's" by Rex Stewart.

"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"This Fascinating Radio Business," by Robert Landry (1946). Part of a series of volumes exposing the inner workings of major 1940's industries, this book takes a rather unvarnished look at the inner workings of the broadcasting industry, from a layman's point of view. Particularly notable for the way in which Landry gives the back of his hand to the highbrow handwringing over the "state of radio" then coming out of academia -- Landry takes the view that radio is mostly lowbrow rubbish precisely because that's its purpose in society -- to serve cheap disposable entertainment for the masses, and what's wrong with that? Makes an interesting chaser after wading thru various wooly tomes by the likes of Charles Sieppman and Paul Lazersfeld, both of whom epitomized the "why can't radio be more like *we* are?" point of view which Landry derides.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
http://www.librarything.com/catalog/zohar

Books I am reading right now, or have read since January 1, 2008. I only have 3 going right now.

I haven't read much fiction in the last ten years, so I'm making up for it now. I've read mostly modern fiction so far, but have a large list of the classics that I'm beginning to plow through.

At this pace, I should be able to read 100 books by the end of the year, without much strain.

Also, I am being less of a book snob than I used to. I would only read non-fiction, or "real literature". Now I'm reading it all. I've read every book on my wife's bookshelf, and am now going through relatives' bookshelves. This means that I'm seeing some bad writing here and there, but I chalk these up to helping me develop some taste of my own.

Corto

A-List Customer
I'm reading Philip Kerr's "March Violets". It's a post-Weimar, pre-WWII murder detective novel set in Berlin. Well researched. Pulpy. Good mind candy.

I'm also reading "Dust on the Sea" by Edward L. Beach. (The sequel to "Run Silent, Run Deep"). Very technical. Also seems to be a bit of a diatribe on leadership (or lack thereof). Trudging through it. If I was a submariner, or had any acquaintance with Naval engineering, I'd probably be more into it.

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
ahhh books

Just finished Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash... love that guy. He really does no wrong along with William Gibson.
On to Dashel Hammett's The Maltese Falcon... never read the book after seeing the movie a bunch of times

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Right now I'm reading Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert for an English class. It's not as horrible as I thought it would be! It's a long book though, and I only have another week to finish it, so I need to dedicate some hours to it tonight.

Corto

A-List Customer
Marlowe said:
Just finished Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash... love that guy. He really does no wrong along with William Gibson.
Snow Crash was awesome...

You know...I've heard rumors that Neal Stephenson and William Gibson are the same person...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters