Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

potemkin_city_limits

One of the Regulars
I just finished reading The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. Its a really great story about two cousins who create a successful superhero comic book around the time that Superman was created. Definitely something I would recommend.

Im about to start reading The Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

While I am at it, here is a list of the books I have read so far this year.

The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes
Business As Usual - Michael Boughn
The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon
Criminal Minds: Killer Profile - Max Collins
The Bone Collector - Jeffery Deaver
The Sisters Brothers - Patrick deWitt
The Final Testament of the Holy Bible - James Frey
Secret Window, Secret Garden - Stephen King
Downtown Owl - Chuck Klosterman
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Steig Larsson
Sandstorm - James Rollins
Map of Bones - James Rollins
The Killer is Dying - James Sallis
Reheated Cabbage - Irvine Welsh

potemkin_city_limits

One of the Regulars
I'm halfway through Under The Dome by King and love it! Then again, I don't think there's a single King book I didn't love.. or at least liked. Haha.

That book is pretty good. I wont say too much about it since you are in the middle of reading it. Kings recent books havent been as good as his older work. I read 11/23/63 and thought it was terrible.

Mystic

Practically Family
A cold rainy dreary day here....

didn't see this coming....

so I made some hot tea and pulled an old book off the shelf.

The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I just got through reading The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett. It was a good read but I think I prefer Raymond Chandler’s Marlowe.

Kirk H.

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
Not a big fan of King. From a Buick 8 almost killed me...but I did enjoy Under the Dome.

I actually enjoyed From a Buick 8 a lot, except for the fact that I wanted to know more about the... You know. The "things". I want to start reading the DT series soon and hopefully get a bit more closure on topic of FAB8...Like I said though, I LOVE King! :D

Apologies for any and all typos, I'm on my lunch break on my phone.

DNO

One Too Many
I actually enjoyed From a Buick 8 a lot, except for the fact that I wanted to know more about the... You know. The "things". I want to start reading the DT series soon and hopefully get a bit more closure on topic of FAB8...Like I said though, I LOVE King! :D

Apologies for any and all typos, I'm on my lunch break on my phone.

I must admit that I enjoyed The Stand and Needful Things as well. I do find it difficult to 'get into' most King novels though.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
John O'Hara's The Big Laugh, his East Coast swipe at Hollywood in the 20s and 30s. My favorite line:

In the Lancia, even before he started the engine she said, "They were not going to recieve you with open arms, anyway. If you don't belong to the California Club, don't expect much cordiality from my brother-in-law. He says that's the only place where he meets his kind of people. And he may be right."

"Well, it isn't the only place, but I know what he means....."

Great writer--check out Butterfield 8 (yes, that Butterfield 8) and Appointment in Samara if you haven't already.

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
I must admit that I enjoyed The Stand and Needful Things as well. I do find it difficult to 'get into' most King novels though.

I hear you... SK is not everyone's cup of tea, which I can totally understand. :)

That said, I finished Under the Dome yesterday. I was a wee bit disappointed with how it ended, but the "journey" was awesome and I'm curious how the TV show will turn out... if there ever will be a TV show, that is. I have another short King book lying around here (Cell), and then it's off to the Dark Tower for me.

Sorry for being so boring :D I need to get through everything before Dr. Sleep comes out.

DNO

One Too Many
I hear you... SK is not everyone's cup of tea, which I can totally understand. :)

That said, I finished Under the Dome yesterday. I was a wee bit disappointed with how it ended, but the "journey" was awesome and I'm curious how the TV show will turn out... if there ever will be a TV show, that is. I have another short King book lying around here (Cell), and then it's off to the Dark Tower for me.

Sorry for being so boring :D I need to get through everything before Dr. Sleep comes out.

Geez...maybe I like King more than I thought. Forgot about Cell. Liked it as well. Mmmm.

You're spot on regarding the ending of Under the Dome...it was a bit weak but it was a good story.

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
Geez...maybe I like King more than I thought. Forgot about Cell. Liked it as well. Mmmm.

You're spot on regarding the ending of Under the Dome...it was a bit weak but it was a good story.

Oh, you did like Cell? I am only about 10 pages in and can't quite find my way into it as of yet.. my thoughts are still with Barbie. :D Haha. I'm in the same "situation" as after finishing 11/22/63 and starting Duma Key right after.. Felt like no matter what comes next, it won't be as awesome as what I just finished. But Duma Key was good in the end, so hopefully Cell will be too! And if you liked it...I'm hopeful!

I just can't get over how he wrapped up that son of a "rhymes-with-witch" Rennie(!!!).

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Just finished two, `Brighton Rock' Graham Green, and The Subterraneans Jack Kerouac, first reading if a Kerouac and loved it. Think I'm going to have to pick up On the Road.

Has anyone read Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster? read that last year on a recommendation and would suggest it to anyone from a 12 year old to a 90 year old, a great piece of story telling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy