Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I read that a couple of years ago - one of the most enjoyable bio's I've had the pleasure of reading! By chance have you read "Love is Nothing", his bio on Ava Gardner? If not, I would highly recommend it.

I haven't - nor have I read a bio on Ava Gardner before. Thanks for the recommendation, this one will be next on my list. :)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
"Screen Deco" on Art Deco and Moderne styles in 1920s and 30s films, great short read and many photos. Now I have to buy more DVDs!

I've started reading Walter Mosley mysteries. His stories are set in post war Los Angeles and are great detective fiction. One of the most interesting aspects are that they take place in the African American community. It gives a much different perspective. His best known story is probably "Devil in the blue dress." It was made into a movie starring Denzel Washington.

For a similiar feel, you might try Chester Himes' Coffin Ed Johnson and Gravedigger Jones series. They are set in Harlem during the forties and fifties and are quite entertaining.

J.W.

A-List Customer
Peter Scholl-Latour: Kampf dem Terror - Kampf dem Islam? (Fighting Terror - Fighting Islam?) Scholl-Latour is a really old French-German journalist, who's been to almost any war zone since the 1950s. The books is already dated (2002), but an interesting read nevertheless. His opinions on the middle east and global politics are a treasure-trove for everyone, who is interested in international politics.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm reading "Inns and Outs" (1939) by Julius Keller, a prominent restaurateur of a century ago. He was the man behind NYC's very popular Maxim's (which traded on the name of, but was unrelated to, Paris's Maxim's). It's filled with delightful tales of NYC in the latter part of the 19th century and (I can only assume, since I've not yet gotten that far) the first three decades of the 20th century.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Finishing up Lies My Teacher Told Me, which deals with the inaccuracies of high school American history text books. It's not a recent book, but as a teacher, I can attest to its continued relevancy. Soon to begin Not Out of Africa, which attempts to restore the tarnished status of the ancient Greeks.

Trixie

One of the Regulars
Reading:
PULP FICTION: THE DAMES
THE BEAUTIFUL AND DAMNED - F. Scott Fitzgerald
RED HARVEST - Dashiell Hammett

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Serve It Forth, M. F. K. Fisher; copyright page indicates first published in 1937. I had read this about twenty years ago, and stumbled across it again somewhre around the house. It's writing about food, but a lot more than just that.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I've been enjoying more of Colin Cotterill's mystery stories with Dr. Siri. They are very enjoyable short reads about a cynical and spiritual coroner solving mysteries, lots of fun.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I have been reading Ray Bradbury for the last week, I was actually reading one of his collections of short stories when my phone went off with the news that he had died... I felt so sad inside. But I now am trying to collect all of his works, which is no small feat as he wrote so many.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner