Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
At the moment I am reading "Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald - An American Woman's Life" by Linda Wagner-Martin.

Since I have almost all of the biographies of Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, new books about them or her or him ( wich are rare) are always welcome. :)

This bio is kind of provocative because it is told from Zelda's perspective instead of her famous spouse. As a matter of fact Wagner-Martin has some very hard words towards S.Fitzgerald ... I really don't know if she is being too fair towards him, but all and all it is a very readable and well written book. :)
If you are interested in Zelda's life I recommend this book as an addition to all of the other bios out there about her.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
For Freedom Alone

The Story of Scotland's Declaration of Arbroath, 6 April 1320 - the first time in history that an official document, endorsed by the king (Robert Bruce as it happened), stated that the people had a right to remove a king who did not act in the best interests of the nation.

9781841586328.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Brian Sheridan said:
Listening (on CD) to Walter Cronkite's autobiography read by the man himself! TV news today could use more Uncle Walts.

"Oh I met Betty Cronkite, here in the Swan River Colony in the 1980's during the Americas Cup , sailing race we hosted here, she was in raptures about a SOHO loft her daughter had moved into, she was with Mrs Hewlet or Packard, or whatever, Mrs K was very sweet and unassuming "

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Miss Golightly said:
The Mitford Girls by Mary S. Lovell

This book is excellent and so readable, despite it's large size. I loved it. The Mitfords were a completely fascinating family.

I've recently finished 'The Long Darkness', subtitled 'Surviving The Great American Dustbowl' by Timothy Egan. In the US this was published under the title 'The Worst Hard Time'.

I found it fascinating as it tells of the Dustbowl years through the stories of a number of families as well as giving all the facts and figures. I knew very little of this subject previously. Of course I knew it happened but had not delved much into the details. I honestly could not put it down. I have very little time for reading these days but got through it very quickly.

Highly recommend.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
The Poetry of Survival: Post-War Poets of Central and Eastern Europe, edited by Daniel Weissbort. An anthology of major poets who found a voice in the experience of survival during and after WWII.

A Cosmopolitan Hermit: Modernity & Tradition in the Philosophy of Josef Pieper by Bernard Schumacher. A series of original essays exploring the thought of the 20th century German philosopher, Josef Pieper (1904-1997).

John

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Sincerely-Dee said:
Small Island - Andrea Levy

Amazing book, I love how it gives perspective from both blacks and whites during the second world war.

Welcome to the Lounge Sincerely-Dee. :)
Small Island sounds interesting. Ever go to Foyles?

vonwotan

Practically Family
Dark Summer by Iris Johansen. I had never read anything by her before nor had I really noticed this one on the NYTimes bestseller list. It was one of the free one's from our book cart. So far I am enjoying the book.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR