Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Sincerely-Dee said:
Foyles the bookshop?

My favorite London bookshop. Love that place. And there's an Indian restaurant-Punjab,
where poetry is recited and discussed over sumptuous fare. If you should see a big Irish Yank
with a stack of books and a bottle of Kentucky bourbon making an arse of himself, do say hello, it's meself. ;) :)

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Miss Golightly said:
The Mitford Girls by Mary S. Lovell

Hello Miss Golightly,

If you're interested in the Mitford sisters, two books worth reading are "The House of Mitford" by Jonathan Guinness and "The Mitford Sisters - Letters between 6 sisters" edited by Charlotte Mosley.

There are an absolute slew of books about the Mitford sisters (and I've read all of them). I think the Guinness book is the most comprehensive.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
Harp said:
My favorite London bookshop. Love that place. And there's an Indian restaurant-Punjab,
where poetry is recited and discussed over sumptuous fare. If you should see a big Irish Yank
with a stack of books and a bottle of Kentucky bourbon making an arse of himself, do say hello, it's meself. ;) :)

I most certainly shall!
I'm more of a Waterstone's gal myself for location reasons but I do pop into Foyles from time to time given the opportunity.

By the way... which Foyles?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
lolly_loisides said:
If you're interested in the Mitford sisters, two books worth reading are "The House of Mitford" by Jonathan Guinness and "The Mitford Sisters - Letters between 6 sisters" edited by Charlotte Mosley.

Lolly, I have yet to get through the 'Letters between Six Sisters'. I have found it quite dull and uninspiring and cast it aside, wheres 'The Mitford Girls' was as dream. Huh.

I must try the Guinness book since I am very interested in the Mitfords.

Currently reading 'Borrowed Time' by Roy Hattersley about Britain between WW1 and WW2. It ranges over many issues. Some interesting, some not so. I'll reserve judgement till I finish it.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Taking a philosophic break after visiting St Peter's Bookshop
where I found AD INFINITVM, a "biography" of Latin that
chronicles the language's march through History.
Written by Nicholas Ostler, a Latin scholar, AI does not attempt
to impart rudimentary Latin but merely its historical trace, with Ostler's
perspective that Latin flourished without bounds; yet was essentially
an inward-focused tongue fixed on Rome rather than the world it served.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am still reading fun stuff. Finished Impact, which was a sci-fi thriller, now reading The Altar of Eden, which, so far, is not too far removed from Jurassic Park, the old human-invents-dangerous-creature-that-was-not-meant-to-be-and-then-it escapes. Light stuff.

I am also watching a DVD from The Teaching Company on the evolution and history of humanity, quite interesting. I never took those kinds of classes in college. I know more than I think I did, but still learning lots of new things, especially archaeology sites around the world and what we've learned from them.

karol

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
I recently picked up The Altar of Eden, but haven't started it yet. You may want to check out Fragment by Warren Fahy, which I finished a couple of weeks ago. It's more of a remote-island-is-discovered-where-evolution-took-a-very-different-path kind of story.

Edward

Bartender
deleteduser said:
Wuthering Heights!

I read that book about eight times during 1991-1993; it was one of my A level books. Not read it since, but I remember a lot of it! Interesting story, though I loathed every single character bar Heathcliff, and evne he annoyed me at times due to his devotion to that abominable Cathy woman. Needless to say, I'm pretty cynical when it comes to so-called great romances..... maybe that's why I love The Great Gatsby so much.

I've spent a lot of time working my way through the Sookie Stackhouse books in recent months. They're a bit of fun, light fluff, with a nice take on the vampire genre. All worth a read, with the exception of the most recent, an anthology of short stories involving Sookie that were published in various magazines - a bit girly fan fic, not up to the level of the rest of the stories. My favourite recurring character is the vampire Bubba, who used to be rather famous before being brought over.... his being a vampire certainly explains all the sightings...

More recently, I read The Road, probably one of the most realistic post-Apocalyptic visions of the future I've seen. Not an easy read, but certainly worth it. Last night I finished Nick Hornby's Juliet Naked. Like all Hornby novels, it scared the life out of me chiefly because I can always see elements of myself in the rather pathetic men who serve as most of his protagonists.

After Easter I'll be back onto the Joe Strummer Biography I started at Christmas and then inadvertently left at a friend's house back in Ireland.... Until then, I'll pick up a coupel of things to keep me going. I'm halfway through The Big Sleep, and awaiting the arrival from Amazon of I, Lucifer, a concept which intrigued me (Satan is given a second chance, and has to live for one month on earth as human, faultless and sin free. He spends the time in London, as a writer, and discovers all the sins of the flesh, while rewriting the Bible story from his own point of view, casting himself as the hero and God as a hopeless bureaucrat.... I'm intrigued by this one, I intend to give it a good go).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Roosevelt

I'm currently about a quarter through "The Democratic Roosevelt", by Rexford Guy Tugwell. Tugwell was one of FDR's original "Brains Trusters". He was in the cabinet during FDR's first term and was an advocate of plannig to cure society's ills. The book focuses on Roosevelt's political career and is extremely well written and very analytical and insightful. FDR was an enigma to even people who were very close to him. He never really let anyone know what he was thinking. The book is full of insights about the political, economic and social environment of the times. Plus it is not lacking in drama, to say the least. Highly recommended.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
deleteduser said:
Wuthering Heights!

I did very much enjoy this book, it about the only book that Mrs. B and I can agree on (except Fleming & Lewis). I was inspired to read after seeing the Alan Partridge Kate Bush Medley... [huh]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PJbjAwvRWLs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PJbjAwvRWLs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo