Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your hobbies?

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Amelie said:
fountain pens are stupidly expensive in America in comparison of the prices that we find in Europe. I have a reasonable amount of them, but the ink itself is sooo expensive for nothing... I am taking 100% of my notes in classes with fountain pens, so I count myself lucky to have friends in France whom can send me what I need if I ask it :)

That's handy:)

I'm getting hooked on fountain pens, bought my first one this week and love it! I think it'll be an expensive hobby.:eek:
lol Now I just need to learn how to write prettily with it, I'm almost there, but ah I have been reduced to the skill level of a five year old, by a pen!lol

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Amelie said:
I really like the inoxcrom ones. They're really not that expensive, and unlike the waterman ones, it's verry "soft" when you're writing (I don't know if any of you understand what I mean, but the Waterman tends to be more edgy)

You mean that rubber grip?

CanadaDoll said:
Now I just need to learn how to write prettily with it, I'm almost there, but ah I have been reduced to the skill level of a five year old, by a pen!

When I first started with mine I held it like a pencil. Needless to say, I wound up with more ink on my fingertips than on the paper...

And by the way,
anyone know how to fix a major crack on a plastic tube?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Epoxy would probably fix that pen. When fixing broken rifle stocks the epoxy repair often turns out to be stronger than the wood.

Daisy said:
How many handbags can a gal need?

One more.

To an enthusiast of any type the answer to "how many?" is always "one more". :D

As a reader, I budget for the books like food and clothing. They are life-support equipment. ;)

As a shooter, I find myself needing "just one more" gun fairly frequently, and I'm not even technically a collector of anything in particular. The cost of all the ancilliary equipment keeps going up as well. Throw in the occasional training class and it's a hobby that can eat a lot of money.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
As a reader, I budget for the books like food and clothing. They are life-support equipment. ;)

carebear[/QUOTE]

Yep yep they are.:D
They keep me sane......ish;)

moustache

Practically Family
Amelie said:
fountain pens are stupidly expensive in America in comparison of the prices that we find in Europe.

Depends on what pen brand and supply and demand.I looked at pen prices from Hungary to France,Austria to Scotland.And that was in person too.The prices for a high quality Conway Stewart or Omas were similar to the prices here in the Former Colonies.
Granted,in the UK one can purchase many models of less expensive pens.
Maybe i wasn't shopping in the right places.Even online i see them at high prices in the EU.And the dollar to pound ratio doesn't help us here.Or the Euro.

I think i will stick to online and classified listings for most of my pen purchases.

JD

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You ladies have some cool hobbies! Good on you. Keep it up. My Mom just sat in a chair doing nothing the last few years of her life doing nothing and I'm sure special interests would have made her better off.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Used to toy with Polo.

Not the cheapest sport, but not always as expensive as many people think either (if not into the Guard's Club and Windsor set!!). Have a photo of me somewhere which if I dig it up will post. A couple of guys I know with a wee bit of money behind them gave life to the Northern Ireland Polo Club a few years back (it died a death after WWII).

Bill O'Rights

New in Town
Sunny said:
My real hobby is Civil War reenacting.
P1010032cropped-1.jpg

Is it worth it? lol

From where I stand? Yes it is. ;)

d6847e0d.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
Bill O'Rights said:
From where I stand? Yes it is. ;)

d6847e0d.jpg

Thank you, kind sir! You and your lady are mighty fine-looking yourselves. What outfit are you with?

Bill O'Rights

New in Town
Sunny said:
Thank you, kind sir! You and your lady are mighty fine-looking yourselves. What outfit are you with?
When last I fielded (and it's been awhile) I stood shoulder to shoulder with the boys of the 39th Iowa. Prior to that, I mustered in with the 1st Nebraska Co. A.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Most of my hobbies are expensive. Photography's probably the worst. (One day I will own that two grand camera, I will!!)

My cheapest hobby is web design. I pay for the domain.. and that's it.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Well, owning and maintaining a vintage auto is expensive. I also have a collection of US rifles and sidearms from WWI, WWII, Korea, and VietNam. It is a good thing I began this collection some time ago, as I couldn't afford to replace some of the weapons today.

Gaige

One of the Regulars
Bravo! If only I could sing...

I'm a guitarist, though... 18 years now.

I enjoy shooting...

And I collect all sorts of antiques, from Egyptian shabtis to colonial currency to 14th century manuscripts to... well, you get the point. :)

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

I have far too many. At some point, I'm really going to have to sit down and decide what I'll devote my time to, because keeping up with everything I'm interested in is far too much for one person to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner