Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHAT CAN THE FEDORA LOUNGE DO FOR YOU?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
The Fedora Lounge brought me a new circle of friends, both on-line and in life.

The Fedora Lounge also:
  • gave me the courage to dress the way I wanted (and in a way that looks good on me) regardless of what other people think.
  • let me know I was not alone in my admiration of the glamor of days gone by.
  • caused me to add to my vintage pattern collection.
  • advanced my admiration of eras I had not considered before.
  • helped me discover my signature accessory- the flower hair clip.
  • helped me refine my style.
  • and brought me some great adventures!
It also has provided a community of experts. There are people on here who know about just about anything you might need to know about. From traveling to gardening, from music to movies, there are people on here who know about it, and better yet, are wiling to share that expertise!

Thank you to all my wonderful board-mates and friends! :eusa_clap

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The FL - a tribute

The Fedora Lounge has helps me cheer up when I feel crap and makes me laugh when I feel good. Thanks so much to all my FL pals for their humour and knowledge...it has grown me as a person...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The greatest thing that has happened to me since I joined is the good friends I have made here, two of which I have had the pleasure of meeting in real life.

I've learnt a lot about other people, their countries and their cultures. I've been given some brilliant ideas and advice about clothes, books, movies, food and booze.

But still the best, is the mates I've made at the Lounge.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
To be clipped and kept in wallet...

Pompidou said:
It helped me refine the sort of person I'm trying to be. It gave me a sample of the good and bad of doing something different. I know what to look for in a good hat. I expanded my horizons in terms of the sorts of hats I'm willing to wear - not being embarrassed by, but rather getting a kick out of being an individual. Conversely, when I saw examples of self superiority over the average Joe, I realized I was headed in that direction myself, and was able to nip it in the bud. I realized I was happy to just be different, but didn't want to give an impression of smugness. So, I think the community did a part in making me a better person. I try to let that happen with every community - adopting the ideas I like and avoiding taking on the rest. I'm very conscious about what people perceive me as.

For my money, this is one of the most clear-sighted observations and perceptive self-examinations I've read on the FL. Pomp, I think you've got your feet solidly on the ground. And probably a GREAT hat on top of your head.

My sincere admiration,
"Skeet"

MissHannah

One Too Many
I met an incredible group of women through the lounge without whom my life would now seem utterly incomplete. It gave me the joy of going out in a group of women all dressed in vintage and the sensation of actually not being the odd one out! I also learned that people who are passionate about vintage come in many different forms and are very diverse in terms of politics and values, so I think I learned a valuable 'never judge a book...' lesson there.

On a practical note I learned almost everything I know about vintage hair techniques from fellow loungers. And so many little tidbits of knowledge I would probably never have picked up anywhere else.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

1. Meeting such lovely individuals in the USA and Europe 'in person' (something I much prefer to do than online).

2.Appreciating just 'how kind' you lot are! I've stayed at a number of your homes in Britain and across the UK and been selflessly shown around 'your town' as only 'you' know how!

3.Had my music collection massively expanded with bands and composers I'd never even heard of before from the 20's and 30's (even had personal collections created and posted to me from Australia!! unbelieveable!).

4.It has returned my belief in the goodness of people and to know that 'there are' some little corners of the internet that are safe to be in and proves that generally people can be civil and courteous, even from behind a computer screen on the other side of the globe (something you don't always get in 'real life.').

5.Made me feel part of a bigger family of enthusiasts who share their knowledge, their loves, their interest and their enthusiasm(s) (As Capone would say).

***NEWS EXTRA***On a side note folks. When you have a moment, just take a step back from TFL, consider the amount of topics it has, the number of members now, the range of information, the friends you've made (and in some cases met), the things you've bought or the events you've gone to, or the movies you've followed up on, and just THINK...
YOU helped make this, as YOU are part of the blood flowing through this place that brings life to it and makes the heart of TFL tick.;)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I spend many hours reading in the lounge just to gain knowledge about things I can't afford. Haha.

But I also found some really nice people here :)

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
One thing The Fedora Lounge has been for me is a constant.

I joined... when... can't see to my left... 2004, I think? Back when I was 18 and had a mild interest in hats and wanted to learn more. (Back when this place look pretty different, too.)

Over the years I became obsessed with old cinema, with film noir (which included my graduating thesis) and a growing interest in dressing better.

I can't tell you if The Fedora Lounge influenced those things about me, because for all I know, I might have developed those things on my own. My roommate in college was the furthest thing from vintage, but he cared very much about dressing well, and that rubbed off on me, too. And I was studying old cinema throughout college before I ever got obsessed with Robert Mitchum and private investigators.

But even when I stopped coming back to The Fedora Lounge for months at a time, every time I returned, I was greeted by a warm, flourishing online community where the passion has not faded. That constant has been the biggest thing FL has done for me. Even though every time I return, I frequent different discussion boards (I rarely go to "Hats" anymore, when once upon a time, it was the only one I visited), it feels good to know that there is this bottomless source of worthwhile opinion waiting for me at thefedoralounge.com.

I would also agree with Pompidou that FL has helped give my opinions and styles context with which I could examine my own. It's always dangerous to develop anything completely in your own head.

Also, I once went on a date with a girl from FL, and said girl is now in a relationship with my girlfriend's ex. But that's another story.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I've always...

…zigged when others zagged. My whole life – and I’m 51 -I’ve always felt an attraction to the “golden era” and always felt drawn to the movies, clothes, music, etc.

In the FL, I’ve learned that there is a whole community of folks out there who feel the same way, that I’m not the only one “zigging.”

So, the FL “Zigs”, many thanks.

Panache

A-List Customer
I have learned a great deal about a number of subjects including history, fashion, cinema, and a host of others

I have been inspired by some of the wonderful fashions sported by my fellow loungers

I've really enjoyed how there isn't "one vintage sensibility" here. The Fedora Lounge has a great diversity among its members in what era/type of vintage fashion/interests appeal to them.

I have really liked the polite discourse that is the norm here.

and best of all, this place place makes me smile a lot

Cheers

Jamie

Derek WC

Banned
ScionPI2005 said:
The Fedora Lounge has helped my wallet lose weight. :D

Haha, I'll fourth that one.

Anyway, my repertoire of suits has expanded.
My knowledge and fascination of the Golden Era has widened.
And I found out that there are other's like me in my love of the Golden Era.

rue

What a great thread! I can't believe it died out.

Well, let's see... this is going to sound really corny, but....

Not only did I find out that I'm not the only one that has an obsession with the past, but I also found a family. Yes, we're a bit dysfunctional and yes sometimes we have "kooky relatives" that sometimes show up at the get togethers and cause a ruckus, but for the most part we understand and appreciate each other.

I came here for advice on vintage hair, make-up, clothing, lifestyle etc.... and yes you won't find a better place for those things, but I stay because the friendships I've made on here are priceless.

Thank you MK, wherever you are, for starting this site and thank you to all the bartenders for keeping it going. I know your job isn't easy and I realize I'm probably not a favorite with some of you, but all of you are appreciated by me for the hard work you do :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo