Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHAT CAN THE FEDORA LOUNGE DO FOR YOU?

I've found this to be very true. I often reference the Lounge and how it's an excellent site for anything and everything vintage.

Without it, I wouldn't know diddly about suits, hats, or really anything about what's good and what's not, when it comes to apparel. I've also learned a lot more about history, and about vintage in general. I've also met some of the finest people I could ever dream of meeting, right here.

So... the lounge gives me legitimacy.

This place is a goldmine of knowledge and has an amazing ability to part one with his/her money. Passion don't come cheap, as I learn more and more every day lol

Fowljesse

New in Town
As often as I've seen posts from Oregon residents here on the FL, I have never seen one single vintage person here.
Hi there. I don't dress in vintage all the time... I am rambunctious (sometimes, I run on moving trains, when I get stuck waiting for them, and other similar [Parkour] things), and I don't want to ruin good clothes. However, when I go out dancing, and such, I wear it. My girlfriend and I went to the Antique expo wearing very different outfits each day. It helps get us great deals ;) There will be many opportunities to do vintage outings with us, if you'd like! We had a vintage picnic at the Pittock Mansion last month with all vintage tables, ware, and such. I hope to see you around!

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I'm the girlfriend in question to above ^ and I *do* wear vintage everyday. And, Miss Moonlight, I sent you a Private Message. I've often felt the same way. We have so many vintage shops - who the heck is buying this stuff??

It's a funny thing - part of what the Fedora Lounge did for me was get me OFF the computer for my vintage connections and helped to connect me with other vintage folks in the area. MK and others used to have a monthly-ish gathering in the Portland, OR area, and I came belatedly to those sometime in 2007. I met Anon, who is still one of my core group for cocktail parties and outings, and others whom I don't see as much, but greatly enjoy and appreciate. Brooksie, for one, Clif, etc - and I also met friends who were out of town in places I travel to, like Doran, and through Doran, Fedora Gent. These are people now in my standard group of friends that I interact with, and it wasn't until reading this thread that I remembered that this is the origin of meeting those great people!

So, while I'd sort of taken a leave of absence from the Lounge - running an online vintage business means hours and hours online for work already - I think it might just be time to come back and meet new people. We all have friends with varying interests, but one's vintage friends are sort of a special thing - the folks who will dress up just to bar hop with you, or throw an impromptu 30's picnic. The lounge might exist only online, but it has a much further reach.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
We all have friends with varying interests, but one's vintage friends are sort of a special thing - the folks who will dress up just to bar hop with you, or throw an impromptu 30's picnic. The lounge might exist only online, but it has a much further reach.

I know there are Torontonians on here, but like others have said, I haven't seen any of you. The "vintage community" here is more of the ironic, quirky, fashion editorial type (which I hate) than true enthusiasts like us. I would adore having a friend to go to the Rockabilly Cafe with me.

That said, I have become friendly with a few people on here, and even met one once. I don't come on here as often as I used to, but it's a great community even for an infrequent visit.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Along with people of a like mind (even if only in one particular way) comes people who can understand why I want to cry over the fact that it seems my last, favorite pair of vintage pumps from the 1940s, seem have been accidentally given to a thrift store by a member of my family.

How it happened is somewhat understandable, they look a lot like a pair of repros I was giving to a thrift store.

It was a little while back. I had been packing for my recent move. This whole time I'd thought they were in my box of shoes, and have discovered they are not. There's no way they're at that store anymore, though I will go to that thrift store when I can get the car today, just in case.

Really? No words can describe my level of upset over this. Who else but FLers would understand this?

Also, if any Portlanders come across a pair of vintage peep toes, black, suede-like, little bow on the toe., size 6... please tell me. (I know, I know... the chances of ever getting them back are basically not there.)

Last edited:

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Oh, Miss Moonlight, what a shame to hear about your shoes! I understand completely...two years ago a lady I work with was my Secret Santa and she gave me her mother's brooch that was from the 1940s. My husband moved it after I took it off and carefully placed it in a safe spot at home or my daughter found it and it is lost with toys we haven't unpacked yet from when we were remodeling the house. I just can't find it and hope that it will eventually turn up and hasn't been accidentally thrown away. It doesn't seem to be a huge deal to my dear husband but it's like the end of the world to me.

rue

I'm so sorry both of you lost precious things!

Hopefully your brooch will show up Jane :)

Miss Moonlight.... I hope you go and check and find them. I'm sure they're still there, since your shoe size is small, but if not, maybe ask them who bought them if they were sold. They could have gone to an antique store and you might find them there.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
We've checked the thrift stores in the area that they might have been given to. My mom even asked the staff. The shoes are not there, which was expected but I had to try. I haven't checked vintage shops because I just cannot afford vintage shop prices right now.

This is more disheartening than it might be. I recently had to sell almost everything I own because of a financial hole I ended up in when a beloved pet (whom I was trying to rehome due to finances) got sick and eventually died. So I did get out of that financial hole, but I have no other vintage shoes, no dress shoes, but I kept two vintage dresses and two repros.

I'm in some kind of vintage-less crisis! Ha. But really. I can't complain about seeing no vintage souls around, I don't think many could tell I'm a vintage soul these days in the very few items of clothing I have left!

GAH! Not a sob story, just so frustrated. So it's time to rebuild my vintage or repro wardrobe... as soon as the holidays are over.

Thanks, gals, for understanding. lol It actually makes me a feel a tad better somehow.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
What has changed about you since joining the Fedora lounge? My examples I'll keep short; My new love of spectator and saddle shoes and, a new found appreciation of roses. As much as I love to talk about myself, I'm really more interested in what others have to say. It doesn't have to be something that happened immediately either. Maybe something that developed over a year or two, or more.
Maybe I missed finding a similar thread, if so I'll peruse that one.:)

I think being able to chat about times and things past is great especially with no one remarking, "why are you living in the past?":eek:

Louise Anne

Suspended
I know there are Torontonians on here, but like others have said, I haven't seen any of you. The "vintage community" here is more of the ironic, quirky, fashion editorial type (which I hate) than true enthusiasts like us. I would adore having a friend to go to the Rockabilly Cafe with me.

That's almost the same where I live , however the nearest member I know of is 60 miles away so not too much of a change of a trip to Rockabilly Cafe.
In six years I have been on here I had hope to find some one a little closer , when you think there about 10 vintage shops in my town there must be a lot of interest locally I am still the only one from my town on the F/L. Why is that?
Well I do have a ideal!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Along with people of a like mind (even if only in one particular way) comes people who can understand why I want to cry over the fact that it seems my last, favorite pair of vintage pumps from the 1940s, seem have been accidentally given to a thrift store by a member of my family.

Oh my. I would be tempted to accidentally rifle through their bathroom cabinet next time I visited them, whether they intended to give the shoes away or not.

I know you may not want to hear this, but look on the bright side - You may well find a much more fabulous pair on your future thrift store hunts :)

In six years I have been on here I had hope to find some one a little closer , when you think there about 10 vintage shops in my town there must be a lot of interest locally I am still the only one from my town on the F/L. Why is that?

I wonder about that too - We seem so sparsely placed. Though, I have (once or twice) seen a person in my day to day life and wondered if they were on the Lounge, and if not, they should be. Like this kid who works part time at my grocery store, with his Brylcreem'd hair and fabulous Ray-Bans. He'd be perfect for this place!

Last edited:

rue

I wonder about that too - We seem so sparsely placed. Though, I have (once or twice) seen a person in my day to day life and wondered if they were on the Lounge, and if not, they should be. Like this kid who works part time at my grocery store, with his Brylcreem'd hair and fabulous Ray-Bans. He'd be perfect for this place!

I wonder about that myself... but every time I ask they look at me like I'm nuts. Usually they'll ask if it's a bar lol I always give them the info, but out of the 20 or so people I've told about the place, I have no idea if they ever joined.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I wonder about that myself... but every time I ask they look at me like I'm nuts. Usually they'll ask if it's a bar lol I always give them the info, but out of the 20 or so people I've told about the place, I have no idea if they ever joined.

Most likely not - I know of many instances where people (well, women) felt this place was "intimidating." :eeek:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
New places full of knowledgeable people can certainly be intimidating. But folks here were so warm, right from the (my) beginning, that it didn't take long to feel comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24