Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

Selentino said:
Slim,
Thanks for the info. I'll try them both. I tend to bring my own to Vegas because of the prices on the strip. Hey has anybody purchased smokes in Mexico recently? They have lost their minds. Two months ago I went into the Havanah Club across from Cabo Wabos courtyard and purchased two Bolivars for myself and two Cohibas for someone else and they cost well over $200.00! That kind of nonsense is exactly why I no longer chase the cubans. I enjoy my vices as wll as the next man but prices like that can cut into a man's Scotch fund:rage:

Mexico is a sucker's paradise for that sort of thing. Try Canada for that commodity. They are much cheaper as is Hong Kong and Spain for that matter.
I can't let you lose Scotch money in good conscience. ;) :p

I got it right in the previous post. The Bolivar is a 554. The size is 5 x 54. They run about 3.50 each if you buy them by the box. :D
Another cigar that is fairly reasonable and you (IC) have expressed a liking for in the past is the Flor de Allones. The Especiales No.5 (5 x 38) are fairly short and cost about 1.60 each if you get them by the box of 25. These are supposed to be "full-bodied" though so I warn you. They aren't to me but.....;)
There are of course, several cigar companies proprietary brands that will save you plenty of dough but I have no idea how good some of them are. You can get the JR brand version of the Edmundo (5.25 x 54) for about 1.50 each if that is the way you want to go. :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I had my last Brazilia tonight so will be going out for some tomorrow. Well I do still have the Brazilia Anaconda but that monster will take some time to smoke! I will look for the Bolivar and the Cusanos also.:D

I have to say the Brazilia has become the only cigar I want when I am not at work, my absolute hands down favorite surpassing my previous favorite Sosa.;)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Had a Bolivar 754. At first glance there was a stem sticking up right at the cap which once I cut the cigar was gone and the wrapper seemed a little wrinkled in spots but it lit easily. Once lit it burned very even and held a 2+ inch ash. This cigar was creamy with a hint of something, maybe almond with a slight sweetness to it. It burned even the entire time without any effort and never got hot.:D

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone here had a chance to smoke an Ashton ESG yet? I think it's a new cigar, or at least it was in my Holt's catalog for the first time this month. ESG stands for Estate Sun Grown. They are rather pricey, IMO, but I have smoked a good many Ashton VSG's and they are about my favorite cigar, except for the few Cuban's I can get my hands on.

indycop said:
Had a Bolivar 754. At first glance there was a stem sticking up right at the cap which once I cut the cigar was gone and the wrapper seemed a little wrinkled in spots but it lit easily. Once lit it burned very even and held a 2+ inch ash. This cigar was creamy with a hint of something, maybe almond with a slight sweetness to it. It burned even the entire time without any effort and never got hot.:D

So it was a good recommendation or a bad one? ;) :p

indycop said:
It was not the prettiest cigar but it was good, maybe just a bad roll or something but good smoke. I will get some more of these.:p :D

Well, notice I didn't recommend that particular model. :p The caps on those are pretty sloppy. I see you noticed that too. They are typically backwoods looking. :rolleyes: [huh]
I am actually surprised you chose something in such a large size and supposedly stronger than you like. ;) I recommended the 554 btw:p :
428412180_b7b24023d1_o.jpg

Did you get it in the EMS wrapper or the Oscuro?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Well, notice I didn't recommend that particular model. :p The caps on those are pretty sloppy. I see you noticed that too. They are typically backwoods looking. :rolleyes: [huh]
I am actually surprised you chose something in such a large size and supposedly stronger than you like. ;) I recommended the 554 btw:p :
428412180_b7b24023d1_o.jpg

Did you get it in the EMS wrapper or the Oscuro?
They didn't have the 554, so I got that one. Don't know about the wrapper other than it was way darker than what i usually get. It didn't seem any stronger than an Oliva series G or a Fuente.:D

indycop said:
Last night was an Oliva series G.

Ok, last night was a La gloria Cubana Tainos. I was somewhat disappointed. The cigar started out ok after I warmed it and set the burn evenly. However the draw became lousy pretty fast. I had to do something I normally don't do---keep it in my mouth and really puff on it to keep it going. About half way through it finally let up on the draw. I never had that problem before with the Tainos. However, looking back in the cigar aficionado magazine ratings, they mention the draw being firm and the burn being uneven. This is the first one from my box that held sort of true to that. Being handmade, I suppose a bad one once in a while is par for the course.
The taste was fine and the aroma was decent but the draw affected my enjoyment. It finished pretty strong and I just decided to call it quits with an inch and a half left. [huh]

Oh and before I forget, I see Altadis (the Franco-Spanish cigarette maker:rolleyes: )was recently acquired by Imperial tobacco for 11.3 billion pounds!:eek: The maker of Lambert & Butler, Davidoff and Gauloises cigarettes and Montecristo and Dutch Masters cigars it might have some interest to the folks here. I wonder if it will make a difference in their products. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran