Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

rmrdaddy said:
Especially for MissS and Darhling, but others may enjoy the tip as well:

In order to really get flavor from cigars, I highly recommend what is commonly know as "retro-haling".
Take a nice puff on the cigar, let the smoke linger in your mouth a second or three, then exhale about 2/3 of the smoke whichever way you like, dribbles, steady plume, smoke rings, etc. Then take the remaining volume of smoke, press it up into the roof of mouth with your tongue, basically pushing the smoke up into your sinus cavity, and then exhale thru the nose.
You will not believe the flavor nuances that you will get this way!!!

Try it!!

If I do this and get the spins, you are going to hear about it. ;) :p

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
HEH!

Seriously, it will amaze you. Push the smoke up and back, and then exhale through the nose. Just don't inhale to the lungs!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
rmrdaddy said:
HEH!

Seriously, it will amaze you. Push the smoke up and back, and then exhale through the nose. Just don't inhale to the lungs!

Thanks for the tips RMRDaddy, maybe I should get my paws on one for the weekend.. has there been posted a list of recommended mild cigars?

Interesting--I may have to look into some of y'all's "cigar virgin" recommendations for a celebratory stick once I close-out the current project.

Any ideas for a first-time pipe-load? I'm thinking something that would've been available during WWII in the Southwest Pacific--my corncob probably isn't going to seem quite right for the "MacArthur standard" without a little seasoning, and there ain't much data available about his preferences although he appears to have been a serious nicotine-addict. (Which I'd prefer to have as little exposure to as possible, myself... I'm willing to endure a little for the finer things in life, but not much.)

Very interesting--does this mean I need to bring a few if you're ever in Seattle, ladies?;)

Diamondback said:
Interesting--I may have to look into some of y'all's "cigar virgin" recommendations for a celebratory stick once I close-out the current project.

Any ideas for a first-time pipe-load? I'm thinking something that would've been available during WWII in the Southwest Pacific--my corncob probably isn't going to seem quite right for the "MacArthur standard" without a little seasoning, and there ain't much data available about his preferences although he appears to have been a serious nicotine-addict. (Which I'd prefer to have as little exposure to as possible, myself... I'm willing to endure a little for the finer things in life, but not much.)

Very interesting--does this mean I need to bring a few if you're ever in Seattle, ladies?;)

Any of the House of Windsor stuff is from way back then and should work for you. I like Argosy black, Field and Stream and Mapleton once in a while. They aren't exactly the high end stuff of today but if its the old bulk brands you are after then you can find them:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/houseofwindsor.html

Darhling said:
Thanks for the tips RMRDaddy, maybe I should get my paws on one for the weekend.. has there been posted a list of recommended mild cigars?

Mild cigars include Macanudo and Montecristo (not the Cuban kind though!). :D They should be fine for a newbie cigar aficionado. You might also consider going for the smaller sizes if you can't get through 1/4 of a regular cigar though. Less waste.:D ;)

MissS

A-List Customer
Ok Mr Powers, here goes.

Draw - it was very easy to take a puff. No heavy dragging required at all.
Construction - shiny and nice and neat. No loose edges at all on the cap.
Taste - no burnt taste at all. Initially, woody, then a little chocolatey. Certainly enjoyable with the cab sav I was drinking. I wouldn't say no to another.
Inhaling - certainly won't make that mistake again! Gave me a bit of a queasy stomach for a few minutes!

Oh, and you misunderstood me - it was at the LAST 1/4 that I felt like I'd had enough. :)

rmrdaddy - I'll give your trick a try when I get to the Romeo Y Julieta, but from a purely girly female perspective, I don't like the look of people exhaling smoke through the nose. [huh]

Selentino

One of the Regulars
rmrrdaddy,
How did you like Mahogany? I spent a few nights there last June when I was in town. I enjoyed the backroom still unsure about the service.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Selentino,
Mahogany is really one of my haunts, so I'm like the Mayor when I get there. I don't say that to be snooty, I just know the cast of charavters, and as such I have never had a service issue there.
I am sorry if you did, so next time you are town, PM me, and the first cigar is one me. Fair enough?

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
And for any of the lovelies overseas, I really would recommend a light bodied Habano if you decide to partake in a cigar now and then. The cigars we can get in the US of A are often heavily tariffed and taxed in many other countries. If that is the case in your area(s), a Habano may actually a less costly (and worlds better, IMHO) option.

Darhhhhhlllliiiinnng and MissS, look for:
Por Laranaga Panatelas or Petite Coronas
Romeo y Julieta Coronitos en Cedros
La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'or #3 or #4

Remember to use wood matches, a cedar spill, or a butane flame for ignition, and smoke slowly!
ENJOY!:D

miss_elise

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Mild cigars include Macanudo and Montecristo (not the Cuban kind though!). :D They should be fine for a newbie cigar aficionado. You might also consider going for the smaller sizes if you can't get through 1/4 of a regular cigar though. Less waste.:D ;)
can you recommend me some cigarillos or little cigars? i think i should probably be smoking something i bit classier now i have a full time job...

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
rmrdaddy said:
And for any of the lovelies overseas, I really would recommend a light bodied Habano if you decide to partake in a cigar now and then. The cigars we can get in the US of A are often heavily tariffed and taxed in many other countries. If that is the case in your area(s), a Habano may actually a less costly (and worlds better, IMHO) option.

Darhhhhhlllliiiinnng and MissS, look for:
Por Laranaga Panatelas or Petite Coronas
Romeo y Julieta Coronitos en Cedros
La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'or #3 or #4

Remember to use wood matches, a cedar spill, or a butane flame for ignition, and smoke slowly!
ENJOY!:D

Well thank you 'Daddy'! I might go cigar shopping today and give my dear mother a shock when she is going in to buy her Dunhills and I ask for one of the above with my very best cuban accent..

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I first thought you were prognosticating about this evening then I saw what time you posted! :eek: :p
Not a bad Arturo Fuente product.
cs-cea-sg.jpg

Wasn't that supposed to be a strong cigar? ;) :p
Whenever I have a cigar at work I have it between 2 and 4 in the morning since things are slower by then.:D

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
miss_elise said:
can you recommend me some cigarillos or little cigars? i think i should probably be smoking something i bit classier now i have a full time job...
Again, I have no frame of reference for general pricing in Australia in regards to Dominican Republic/Honduran/Nicaraguan cigar pricing VS Habanos. I don't want to seem like I am wantonly spending other's hard earned cash!
But, to get to the point, see if you can find Habanos in the Purito size. I have had the Romeo y Julieta and Montecristo marcas in these sizes and I find them fantastic for what they are; a short smoke and full of flavor.

miss_elise said:

I'll add the Rey Del Mundo Demi Tasse to rmr's list. They are about 4 inches long and only a 30 ring guage so they are a small cigar for sure and a decent one. There is also Diplomaticos No. 5 if you can find them. They are 4 inches as well but with a 40 ring guage which is a bit thicker. Going a bit bigger there are the Ramon Allones small club coronas. A little over 4 inches and a 49 ring guage.
All of these are from that little exotic island but they are perfectly legal for you to acquire where you are. ;) :D

MissS said:
Ok Mr Powers, here goes.

Draw - it was very easy to take a puff. No heavy dragging required at all.
Construction - shiny and nice and neat. No loose edges at all on the cap.
Taste - no burnt taste at all. Initially, woody, then a little chocolatey. Certainly enjoyable with the cab sav I was drinking. I wouldn't say no to another.
Inhaling - certainly won't make that mistake again! Gave me a bit of a queasy stomach for a few minutes!

Oh, and you misunderstood me - it was at the LAST 1/4 that I felt like I'd had enough. :)

rmrdaddy - I'll give your trick a try when I get to the Romeo Y Julieta, but from a purely girly female perspective, I don't like the look of people exhaling smoke through the nose. [huh]

Oh, the last 1/4! I get it now. Though that is where you are supposed to get a good finish or you wait for one and get nothing. ;)
You are well on your way to understanding the fine world of cigars now. :D

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Okay, now I need your advice.. I forgot about getting cigars when I was in Copenhagen today, but remembered later at my parents house, my dad gave me two different cuban cigars, I know this is properly a no-no, but he cut the tip for me on both since I don't have a cutter at home.

Bolivar Habana Coronas (that is all the info I can se on the box, it contained 25 pcs.) It is about 4+" long and a little thick.

the other is a Manuel Lopez Habana Punch, about 5+" long and slim (I didn't get the box for that so I can't see other infomation.)

unfortunealty I think they are both a bit dry lol lol My dad don't smoke them very often and he is NOT a cigar affectionado :eek:

So gentlemen, what have I on my hands, can anyone explain anything more about these two?

EDIT: the measurements are just by eye and after the tip has been cut.

Darhling said:
Okay, now I need your advice.. I forgot about getting cigars when I was in Copenhagen today, but remembered later at my parents house, my dad gave me two different cuban cigars, I know this is properly a no-no, but he cut the tip for me on both since I don't have a cutter at home.

Bolivar Habana Coronas (that is all the info I can se on the box, it contained 25 pcs.) It is about 4+" long and a little thick.

the other is a Manuel Lopez Habana Punch, about 5+" long and slim (I didn't get the box for that so I can't see other infomation.)

unfortunealty I think they are both a bit dry lol lol My dad don't smoke them very often and he is NOT a cigar affectionado :eek:

So gentlemen, what have I on my hands, can anyone explain anything more about these two?

EDIT: the measurements are just by eye and after the tip has been cut.

The first one is hard to determine as there are machine made bolivar varieties and then there are the hand mades. Going under the assumption that it is a hand made, was it in a tube or just plastic wrapped? They generally look like this:
royalCorona.gif

These are fairly full bodied and strong for a beginner but then again, each person is different. Just try it and see what you think. On the subject of dry, were they stored in a humidor or some such thing? If they weren't then they are likely quite dry. They need to be humidified to smoke at their best.
I am guessing the Punch looks like this:
PunchPunch.gif

This is a milder cigar.
Both are worthy of smoking for sure. Over here you would pay over $10 for each so you are ahead of the game as far as I am concerned. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic