Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

Darhling said:
definitly woody and earthy, the smoke is not warm at all, i try to keep it in for up to three seconds and then gently let it out for about 3-4 seconds and push the rest in. It really enhances the flavours, but again, this is very mild, much more than other cigars I have tried in the past but I did try in inhale in the lungs back then.

I tried to have a really rich piece of chocolate after a draw and that was good!

I think I am halfways now (from tip to paper'collar') and that has taken me about 45 minutes. I had to lit it once though.

So far I like this!!

You can remove the band (paper collar) and smoke past it if you dare. As I have said before, I get the most out of my cigars by smoking them down as far as possible.;)
Don't worry about having to relight it. That just means you really aren't smoking it too fast. :D They go out once in a while if they aren't incessantly puffed on. Its a good thing because they aren't laced with chemicals that make them burn like cigarettes. ;) :D

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
You can remove the band (paper collar) and smoke past it if you dare. As I have said before, I get the most out of my cigars by smoking them down as far as possible.;)
Don't worry about having to relight it. That just means you really aren't smoking it too fast. :D They go out once in a while if they aren't incessantly puffed on. Its a good thing because they aren't laced with chemicals that make them burn like cigarettes. ;) :D

It burned out again about half an inch from the band and I didn't relight it. It was a very pleasant experience and I will have to look into other mild cigars. I took my time with it and I guess it took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to smoke that much.

I didn't keep it in my mouth, after I had a draw, I savoured it, took a sip of champagne and breathed out slowly, but I was afraid to 'waste' it in the ashtray.

I was very surprised that it was so different from trying a cigarette (which I cannot stand), but I guess that must be because (as you said James) that there arent any chemicals in it.

I definitly look forward to my next cigar adventure! (Now I have to pursuade my dad to give me his full box of Punch cigars).

Darhling said:
It burned out again about half an inch from the band and I didn't relight it. It was a very pleasant experience and I will have to look into other mild cigars. I took my time with it and I guess it took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to smoke that much.

I didn't keep it in my mouth, after I had a draw, I savoured it, took a sip of champagne and breathed out slowly, but I was afraid to 'waste' it in the ashtray.

I was very surprised that it was so different from trying a cigarette (which I cannot stand), but I guess that must be because (as you said James) that there arent any chemicals in it.

I definitly look forward to my next cigar adventure! (Now I have to pursuade my dad to give me his full box of Punch cigars).

lol lol lol lol lol A full box! lol lol lol You're worse than me now. :p

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
WOW!!
I am very excited for you Darhling!! Great job with that cigar!!
I just did a few minutes worth of research on the cigars you received from your father. I have a question, is a regular cigar smoker?
The reason I ask, is that they seem to be very nice examples of discontinued vitolas. He must have purchased and stored these some time ago, which takes a person of sturdy moral fiber! I am VERY impressed!

Bolivar Coronas were discontinued in 2006, the size is 42 ring x 142 mm (5.6 inches). I would like to ask you to look over the box, especially the bottom for any numbers or letters stamped there. Anything?

I believe the other to be a Punch Ninfas, 33 ring x 178 mm (7.0 inches), which were discontinued in 2002! Incroyable!!
Having cigars with age on them is really the ultimate, it allows the blend to really come togther, and smooths and harmonizes all the flavors.
Very nice selections from your father!! I tip my hat to him!

rmrdaddy said:
WOW!!
I just did a few minutes worth of research on the cigars you received from your father. I have a question, is a regular cigar smoker?
The reason I ask, is that they seem to be very nice examples of discontinued vitolas. He must have purchased and stored these some time ago, which takes a person of sturdy moral fiber! I am VERY impressed!

Bolivar Coronas were discontinued in 2006, the size is 42 ring x 142 mm (5.6 inches). I would like to ask you to look over the box, especially the bottom for any numbers or letters stamped there. Anything?

I believe the other to be a Punch Ninfas, 33 ring x 178 mm (7.0 inches), which were discontinued in 2002! Incroyable!!
Having cigars with age on them is really the ultimate, it allows the blend to really come togther, and smooths and harmonizes all the flavors.

That's a good point. I forgot to mention that. :eusa_doh:
Ninfas seems about right:
pu_ninfa.gif

Those have a slight box press to them don't they though? [huh]

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
rmrdaddy said:
WOW!!

I am sad to say that the reason he has those is because he very rarely smokes them. His humidor and cigars (there were a lot of different ones in the humidor when he got it) was a gift, now there is only these two kinds left - 2 of the Bolivar and I would say close to a full box of the Punch ones. He has friends that is VERY into cigars and it was their choices that filled the humidor - I remember there was some Davidoff cigars as well, in a box too, but wrapped individually.

It's funny because even though I seen him smoke a cigar once or twice a year, I have always had to open his humidor and smell the cigars every time I visit them.

The stamp on the bottom of the box says 'FPG' new line 'OUSL'. I can take a picture if you would like it?

Thank you so much for the research!!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
That's a good point. I forgot to mention that. :eusa_doh:
Ninfas seems about right:
pu_ninfa.gif

Those have a slight box press to them don't they though? [huh]

Yes! They are just a slightly bit square-ish. (If that was what you meant.)

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Well, the one Mai posted is very box pressed, gotta be from a dress box. The press and the bands are a dead giveaway for dress box IMHO. The only other real option is to claim it as a Panatelas Grandes, same specs, but they were discontinued in the 1980's, so I doubt that really feasible.
My .02 at least :D

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Darhling said:
I am sad to say that the reason he has those is because he very rarely smokes them. His humidor and cigars (there were a lot of different ones in the humidor when he got it) was a gift, now there is only these two kinds left - 2 of the Bolivar and I would say close to a full box of the Punch ones. He has friends that is VERY into cigars and it was their choices that filled the humidor - I remember there was some Davidoff cigars as well, in a box too, but wrapped individually.

It's funny because even though I seen him smoke a cigar once or twice a year, I have always had to open his humidor and smell the cigars every time I visit them.

The stamp on the bottom of the box says 'FPG' new line 'OUSL'. I can take a picture if you would like it?

Thank you so much for the research!!

DOUBLE WOW!!

My head is spinning very slightly!!!! :D :eek: :D
OK
FPG = Francisco Pérez Germán, formerly Partagás. This is the factory that produced them.
Now, the absolute killer, OUSL = 08/95. AUGUST of 1995!! That is a 13 year old cigar! Now I'M swooning !!!

WELL DONE!!! :eusa_clap

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Neither cigar was wrapped, but stored in boxes, like the one I posted - the Punch cigar box was very similar to the one I posted but with a different 'man' on. Each box contained 25 pieces and there was a square cardboard 'cigar' to press them against each other.

I can find out tomorrow what the stamp says on the Punch box if you like.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
rmrdaddy said:
DOUBLE WOW!!

My head is spinning very slightly!!!! :D :eek: :D
OK
FPG = Francisco Pérez Germán, formerly Partagás. This is the factory that produced them.
Now, the absolute killer, OUSL = 08/95. AUGUST of 1995!! That is a 13 year old cigar! Now I'M swooning !!!

WELL DONE!!! :eusa_clap

ooh, those should be enjoyed by connoisseurs!! not me..

Well I have the 13 year old Bolivar left, now that I know that, I am going to save it for a special occasion.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I just searched for 'Punch Ninfas' and my first hit was cigar-review.org - it says that it has hints of pepper and it does!! THAT was the taste that I couldn't place..

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Bolivar are also typically known for their somewhat peppery quality, with a spicy overtone, and a certain flavor, like aged wheat, if you can imagine that as a flavor.
Please do get the codes from the other box, I'm intrigued now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara