Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

DesertDan

One Too Many
The new 'Romeo' churchill from Romeo y Julieta
What a great cigar! Excellent construction, perfect burn, thick creamy smoke.
This is a full-bodied cigar and despite it's dark wrapper (Ecoudoran habano) it is an all Dominican blend.
I'm going to try the toro size next and if I like it as much I'll pick up a box.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Afternoon, everyone.
Is there a questions section of this forum? I would like to learn more about what makes a good cigar. I enjoy them infrequently, but after smoking a Perdomo Fresco yesterday I thought I'd join in the fun here and see what's cookin'!

Afternoon, everyone.
Is there a questions section of this forum? I would like to learn more about what makes a good cigar. I enjoy them infrequently, but after smoking a Perdomo Fresco yesterday I thought I'd join in the fun here and see what's cookin'!

A good cigar really depends on what someone is looking for in a cigar. Taste is very individualistic. You have to go with what you like. Some like strong and flavorful cigars while others like a mild cigar.
Construction is another matter. A good cigar should be constructed so that it has a good draw. Plugged cigars are a chore to deal with and smoke. I love the Por Laranga Montecarlos but when you buy a box, you can be assured that half will be unsmokeable due to a poor draw.
The cigar should also have a nice smooth and even colored wrapper. Sunspots, blemishes and tears in the wrapper are not good. They show a certain lack of quality control. You can buy seconds from many factories that are better than that. :p
I also like my cigars finished off nicely. A smooth rounded cap and evenly finished foot of the cigar not only look good but they are somewhat indicative of quality control. A triple seam cap shows that the workers making the cigars are good rollers and can finish their products well. Lumpy cigars with soft spots on them shows poor quality rolling.
There are many other things involved with a good cigar but I am sure others will chime in with their indicators of a fine cigar.

ambulatingreader

New in Town
Some good cigars that fit the above: Punch London club Maduro; JR Ultimates, especially the EMS and maduro wrapper; and R&J Habana Reserve Rothchilds (5X54 ring gauge).

Some good cigars that fit the above: Punch London club Maduro; JR Ultimates, especially the EMS and maduro wrapper; and R&J Habana Reserve Rothchilds (5X54 ring gauge).

I second the JR Ultimates. They do a decent job for the price. You can add the Ashton VSG and the La Flor Dominicana double ligero chisel and Airbender Chisel if you like a bit lighter than the former.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Well I was able to pick up a Punch London club maduro and an R&J Havana Reserve... not a Rothchild but a Robusto. Looking forward to trying them out when the rain clears up!

Well I was able to pick up a Punch London club maduro and an R&J Havana Reserve... not a Rothchild but a Robusto. Looking forward to trying them out when the rain clears up!

Try those out and let us know what you think.

I had a Partagas Serie D No.4 last night. A friend of mine gave it to me and it was the same classic robusto that I have come to know it as. :D

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
from 2-3am this morning, I lingered on a Romeo y Julieta, but not the Havana Reserve. I couldn't find a particular marking on the label that would indicate the blend/size/shape, but the label just fit over my left thumb, couldn't get it over my right.

Compared to the Perdomo, it burned long and cool, producing thick smoke, and was expertly wrapped, very tightly. I believe I ashed once. I didn't enjoy the taste as much as the Perdomo, and pairing it with Bushmills Irish made the whiskey taste far more bitter than usual.

DesertDan

One Too Many
You're on your way Bowlerman.
When I first took up the hobby I kept a journal. I taped the bands to the page and wrote down the details and my opinions of each cigar I smoked. It proved very helpful to refine my preferences.

from 2-3am this morning, I lingered on a Romeo y Julieta, but not the Havana Reserve. I couldn't find a particular marking on the label that would indicate the blend/size/shape, but the label just fit over my left thumb, couldn't get it over my right.

Compared to the Perdomo, it burned long and cool, producing thick smoke, and was expertly wrapped, very tightly. I believe I ashed once. I didn't enjoy the taste as much as the Perdomo, and pairing it with Bushmills Irish made the whiskey taste far more bitter than usual.

Interesting review. I am not too enamored of the R y J brand but they have their standouts. If it doesn't work for you then it is not something you want to smoke. Smoke what you enjoy the most because you will savor the time spent more.
It is odd that it made Bushmills taste bitter. Perhaps the two don't go together well. I have not encountered that with the cigars I have smoked with Bushmills but then I have not smoked THAT cigar with Bushmills either. :p

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Probably just a bad combo, as Bushmills is usually so smooth to me (not a whiskey connoisseur, either...yet!).
I looked at the plastic wrap it came in, and it said R&J "Bully." I look forward to more exploration. Thanks for the comments, fellas.

Probably just a bad combo, as Bushmills is usually so smooth to me (not a whiskey connoisseur, either...yet!).
I looked at the plastic wrap it came in, and it said R&J "Bully." I look forward to more exploration. Thanks for the comments, fellas.

Ah, the 1875 Bully. They have Dominican and Indonesian Tobaccos in them. The Indonesian is sort of a gimmick as it is supposed to be "aromatic." Whatever the case, they have a reputation for being kind of bland but a friend tells me that it goes well with a Samuel Adams. :p

Got two cigars in from the CRA as part of their membership thing. The first I tried was the CAO LX2 Special Rosado. It was kind of an odd cigar. It started out with an odd taste that developed into a metalic taste that went away about half way through. It finally straightened out at about 3/4 of the way through it with some strength. For a cigar that only 1/4 of it was decent, I give it a 3 out of ten. Not something I would have bought on my own.
The other one they sent was a Perdomo so I will give it a try and let you know how that one works out for me. And yes Nick I am going to be honest. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn