Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tuesday night it was one of my favorites-CAO Italia Ciao. Last night it was a Padilla Hybrid; no one of the top of the line Padillas, but a great cigar with a great, thick smoke.

RedPop4, I often look through Cigar Weekly's website. If you are affiliated with it, good work! I am not on the forums there but might give it a look.

Indycop, my sympathy on the 12 hr. shifts. If you are straight nightshift like us, 12 hrs. would be really tough with court cases, training, etc. in the daytime. We work 5 eights and I hope we do until I retire.

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
Cigar of the Week

Hey guys, this week's Cigar of the Week is the 601 Red Band from United Tobacco. This cigar is rolled by the master Don Pepin Garcia, one of the biggest names in tobacco to come out this year. The Red Banded 601 is handmade in Esteli, Nicaragua. It is an exquisite blend of aged Nicaraguan tobaccos topped with a beautiful and oily Nicaraguan Habano Natural Wrapper. This cigar is blended to provide superb aroma and flavor while maintaining it's full bodied flavor to the very end. Definitely not a cigar for the faint of heart. Have a good meal with it boys. This smoke is a fantastic way to end a long day.

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
No bitterness detected?
I ask because The 1066s have a horrible bitter taste to me. [huh]

sorry it took me long to respond, but I see somebody else did. It's hard to say because everyone's palate is different. The 1066 is made with Honduran tobacco which tends to take on an "earthy" taste to it. It also has a Connecticut Broadleaf as a binder which is normally used as a Maduro wrapper (dark, richer, stronger) then finally it's wrapped in a Cameroon wrapper which takes on some sweet and spicy undertones. So this may come across strong to some people.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Paladin said:
Tuesday night it was one of my favorites-CAO Italia Ciao.
Indycop, my sympathy on the 12 hr. shifts. If you are straight nightshift like us, 12 hrs. would be really tough with court cases, training, etc. in the daytime. We work 5 eights and I hope we do until I retire.

I like most of the CAO line with the Brazilia being my favorite (hush JP:p ) But everytime I try the Italia it hits me in the gut.[huh] :eek:

RedPop4 runs Cigarweekly I believe so if you register there will be a familiar face for you. I am registered but mainly lurk, since I spend too much time on here as it is.:D

Tho it is nice to get 5 days at a time off it's overrated when the wife is at work and the kids are at school, wait what am I saying?lol All training is ALWAYS on my days off.:mad:

indycop

I'll Lock Up
CigarMan said:
Hey guys, this week's Cigar of the Week is the 601 Red Band from United Tobacco. This cigar is rolled by the master Don Pepin Garcia, one of the biggest names in tobacco to come out this year. The Red Banded 601 is handmade in Esteli, Nicaragua. It is an exquisite blend of aged Nicaraguan tobaccos topped with a beautiful and oily Nicaraguan Habano Natural Wrapper. This cigar is blended to provide superb aroma and flavor while maintaining it's full bodied flavor to the very end. Definitely not a cigar for the faint of heart. Have a good meal with it boys. This smoke is a fantastic way to end a long day.
I had one of them at work awhile back. All I can say, was a short way into it I knew that I should stop. But it had me with a ,great taste, I could not put it down and ended up nubbing it with a toothpick, the shortest I have ever taken a cigar. I paid dearly for that, thank God it was a quiet night!:rolleyes:

Mr. Paladin

Tonight it was an Excaliber 1066. Very nice and I did not find this one bitter as jamespowers noted recently, but I have had some that were some time ago and that makes me suspect the consistency of the blend or the cure on a particular lot of tobacco.

Indycop, thanks for the info on RedPop4 and CW. Sign-up is a time issue for me also.

Kermez

A-List Customer
I think there's nothing on the first day of a week (or more) long vacation like a good meal and a great cigar - it sets the tone for all of what follows.

CigarMan said:
sorry it took me long to respond, but I see somebody else did. It's hard to say because everyone's palate is different. The 1066 is made with Honduran tobacco which tends to take on an "earthy" taste to it. It also has a Connecticut Broadleaf as a binder which is normally used as a Maduro wrapper (dark, richer, stronger) then finally it's wrapped in a Cameroon wrapper which takes on some sweet and spicy undertones. So this may come across strong to some people.

Strong would have been fine. It is the bitterness that I just can't stand. The tongue in coffee grounds flavor just doesn't do it for me. To each his own I suppose though. Want a few? ;) :p

indycop said:
I like most of the CAO line with the Brazilia being my favorite (hush JP:p ) But everytime I try the Italia it hits me in the gut.[huh] :eek:

RedPop4 runs Cigarweekly I believe so if you register there will be a familiar face for you. I am registered but mainly lurk, since I spend too much time on here as it is.:D

Tho it is nice to get 5 days at a time off it's overrated when the wife is at work and the kids are at school, wait what am I saying?lol All training is ALWAYS on my days off.:mad:

Big surprise there. Tried a REAL Alec Bradley yet? ;) :p
The Italia is strong?! Ok, I am going to try that one. It had better blow my head off or else. :p ;)

Mr. Paladin said:
Tonight it was an Excaliber 1066. Very nice and I did not find this one bitter as jamespowers noted recently, but I have had some that were some time ago and that makes me suspect the consistency of the blend or the cure on a particular lot of tobacco.

Indycop, thanks for the info on RedPop4 and CW. Sign-up is a time issue for me also.

Want about half a dozen to try? ;) :p
I think mine were cured in a coffee can. :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Big surprise there. Tried a REAL Alec Bradley yet? ;) :p
The Italia is strong?! Ok, I am going to try that one. It had better blow my head off or else. :p ;)
Lets hope not since I've already had the head blown off to deal with last week...:eusa_doh:
Have you tried the 601?

Mr. Paladin

Busy night tonight. Had a Nino Vasquez Redhead; a sandwich cigar but good flavor and no great loss if you think you may have to toss it quick.

jamespowers, I got a box of 1066s that tasted exactly like you said about a year ago or so. I smoked a few and used the rest to hand out to those irritating goobers at parties who never had a cigar in their lives and suddenly want "one of your strong ones". Amazing how that seems to have cured their desires, leaving me at peace with my cigar!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic