Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I had my first gin and tonic, and while it was good, it was not at all what I was expecting.
It was rather sweet, and I know that that was not the tonic doing that, as I tasted the gin before adding the tonic. That really surprised me a lot.
Maybe it was the ingredients (Gordon's Dry Gin, and Seagrams Tonic), but it was almost like soda. I really liked the other flavors, which were a wonderful mix of various bitter and tart tastes, but it was a little too sweet for me.
Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Yeps said:
I had my first gin and tonic, and while it was good, it was not at all what I was expecting.
It was rather sweet, and I know that that was not the tonic doing that, as I tasted the gin before adding the tonic. That really surprised me a lot.
Maybe it was the ingredients (Gordon's Dry Gin, and Seagrams Tonic), but it was almost like soda. I really liked the other flavors, which were a wonderful mix of various bitter and tart tastes, but it was a little too sweet for me.
Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Yeps,
I'm not seeing generous lime wedge squeezed into the G&T in your ingredient list. That is the key to the drink in my humble opinion. I also prefer Tanqueray for a G&T personally, unless we are going the Hendricks route.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
rkwilker said:
Nice choice Wally. I too am a Buffalo Trace/rocks fan. Last night was Mojitos by the pool with the wifey.

Ahh, yes indeed, and tonight, while bbq'ing, a mojito made from home made simple syrup and home grown mint; waiting for the lime tree to come into fruition. Used Flor de Cana and Schewppes club soda.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
rmrdaddy said:
Yeps,
I'm not seeing generous lime wedge squeezed into the G&T in your ingredient list. That is the key to the drink in my humble opinion. I also prefer Tanqueray for a G&T personally, unless we are going the Hendricks route.

Indeed, rmrdaddy, I squeeze half a lime into my G & T and it does make a difference.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Wally_Hood said:
"...soapy" gin? Does that give it a clean taste?

It was a very strange sensation. It had that slippery feel of soap on the tongue and was reminiscent of when you might have got a little soap suds in your mouth accidentally. I thought it was just be but Mrs. B was inclined to agree.

This was drinking it on its own, in a gin and tonic it became rather anonymous. Good job I only had a small bottle. :)

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
A simple summer drink, Campari and Sprite. The sweetness of the soda works nicely to balance out the bitterness of the Campari. It's still slightly bitter, but very refreshing.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
rmrdaddy said:
Yeps,

There was a lemon (infinitely inferior to lime) slice in the glass, but not enough to be considered generous. Next time I will make sure to try that. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters