Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Finally, a vintage mixed drink without Vermouth. It turns out that I HATE Vermouth, AND from a couple of vintage bartender's guides, a lot of vintage drinks contain it (Vermouth). I was in Jacob's Liquor replenishing my supply of Rye (Overholdt, the cheap stuff) and the checkout girl asked about it. Her Favorite is Bullitt, and I suggested the Sazarec, which is spicier (in my opinion).

Will try this tonight.

later

Hi

Finally, a vintage mixed drink without Vermouth. It turns out that I HATE Vermouth, AND from a couple of vintage bartender's guides, a lot of vintage drinks contain it (Vermouth). I was in Jacob's Liquor replenishing my supply of Rye (Overholdt, the cheap stuff) and the checkout girl asked about it. Her Favorite is Bullitt, and I suggested the Sazarec, which is spicier (in my opinion).

Will try this tonight.

later

You are not alone in hating vermouth. :p It is the reson why martinis today are much drier than they were originally. I make a martini that only included three sprays of vermouth from a vermouth mister. One person described my martinis as cold gin---which is fine with me. :p

Try the Blue Moon:

2 oz. gin
½ oz. Crème Yvette
½ oz. fresh lemon juice

The Old Fashioned would be good with what you have:
2 oz Rye
2 dashes Angostura bitters
1 splash water(enough to disolve the sugar)
1 tsp sugar
1 maraschino cherry

Muddle the cherry, water and sugar together in the bottom of the glass. Add ice cubes, stir. Add the rye, stir. Add the angostura bitters, stir. Drink. :p

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks James

I just called home to check on the maraschino cherry supply, I have the other ingredients. So, what's Creme Yvette? I found some info on their website, intense berry taste with botanicals. Sort of a berry flavored Gin liquor.

Later

Thanks James

I just called home to check on the maraschino cherry supply, I have the other ingredients. So, what's Creme Yvette? I found some info on their website, intense berry taste with botanicals. Sort of a berry flavored Gin liquor.

Later

Sort of but Creme de Violette will work if you can't find Yvette. Yvette is berry flavored but not exactly a gin liquor. :D Try it and see what you think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner