Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did your grandparents pack for personal protection in the Golden Era?

Feraud

Bartender
DOUGLAS said:
For black powder I have a Colt Walker and an Army Colt.Both just a bit heavy to hide under a jacket.
A bit heavy but intimidating if you need to pull the Walker out! I have a Third Model Dragoon, Colt and Remington in .45 caliber, and a couple of the small caliber pocket pistols.
My father recently bought a LeMat revolver.

Rooster

Practically Family
I rarely carry on my person. I do pack a gun along when ever I travel on business. M1911, P38, a little .32 HA top break, or any one of about a dozen original finish nagant pistols.
Here last week in town two people were drug out of their car and beaten with baseball bats and had their car stolen. I'll be damned if I'm going to take a beating with a ball bat from a couple gangsta punks. :rage: It might be time to carry in town now too.

Feraud

Bartender
scotrace said:
Why is this so? Is it more difficult to carry a firearm? or more necessary?
My opinion is it is not necessary to carry a firearm in NYC. If you choose to exercise the option it is next to impossible to get a carry permit in the city.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

Years ago, when I first started prosecuting, I sometimes carried a S&W Chief's Special in a hip holster. I have no idea why. If some irate defendant had ever acted on his urge to shoot me, I would have been stone dead before I could have drawn my weapon. Also, I never got used to the extra weight on my belt. Every time I stood up to move around the court room, I felt like that dang pistol was trying to pull my pants down around my knees.

So I finally gave up on sidearms. Now I only carry a two-inch penknife---to punch air holes in my coffee cup lids, and to trim the hanging threads off of my suits.

Atticus

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
I used to carrier a Colt 1911 compact, but wasn't comfortable carrying in a cocked & locked position and thought it useless as a self defense tool without carrying it that way. I now carry a new Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull. It is actually a very comfortable and concealable revolver. I use a Galco holster on my belt towards my back, and wear either a jacket or untucked shirt to cover it. Yeah, I know a .454 is pretty extreme, but it keeps the Grizzly bears away. I haven’t seen one yet, so it seems to work.:D

I used to do Cowboy Action Shooting and have a really nice “Doc Holiday” cross draw type shoulder rig I wore for the shoots. I have a Ruger Sheriffs model .45 Colt I carry in it, but it’s not very cancelable because the butt of the revolver sticks out a bit.

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
I have a Colt 1911 (not an A1) civillian 45acp made in 1914 that I carry in a bianchi sholder rig when on private property. Unfortunately living in Illinois , with Chicago being the "capitol" instead of Springfield we don't have CCW permits.

warbird

One Too Many
BigSleep said:
I dont carry.
My one vintage handgun is a broomhandled Mauser.
Might be a bit cumbersome under the arm.

One thing about a wheel gun is they dont jam.
Maybe you need a nice old Colt long 38 hanging on the other side for back up. ;)

Ah yes, one of the greatest of the fallacies of the many out there regarding the revolver, semi-auto debate.

This simply is not true. Wheelguns have many many more moving parts, internally, i.e. more to go wrong. They also have external moving parts subject to dirt and grime. There are many ways a wheelgun can lock-up and I have had it happen to me. And if it does happen, it isn't as easy to clear a jam on a wheelgun as it is a semi-auto (which 99% of the time is a rack of the slide). In fact it usually requires a breakdown of the gun or worse a gunsmith to repair it.

That being said both have their pros and cons and I have carried both comfortably.

As for holsters, Milt Sparks makes the best concealment holsters out there, bar none IMO. I have tried them all and they are all cheap imitations of what Sparks, and a couple other small shops, make. Anyone who ever gets a Sparks will never again bother with Galco and the rest of the wannabes. This may sound snitty but believe me it's true. Most of those holsters don't hold their form, they are difficult to get the gun back into after drawing or are difficult to draw out. The cheaper rigs don't have special leather and linings to prevent gun corrosion, which is a problem for folks who carry everyday. It's the little stuff that makes a big difference and if you dont know about it, then you are risking damaging your firearm over the long haul.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Orgetorix said:
Do people who carry concealed handguns usually carry them under the arm, at the small of the back, or somewhere else? I've seen both types of holsters, and I wonder which is more common.

Short of polling holster manufacturers' sales records, I don't know if that's a question that can be answered - considering the variety of body sizes and pistols carried. I know a fair amount of folks that would answer 'all of the above'. A 1911 in a shoulder holster when wearing a suit, a 38 detective in the small of the back under a hawaiian shirt in the summer, ad nauseum. Ultimately, it's what works for what you choose to carry and what outfit you're wearing.

You might find a personal interest in this article:
http://washingtontimes.com/metro/20070206-115722-3302r.htm

Feraud

Bartender
Story said:
Ok, I'll bite - why?
Because there is not enough violent crime to warrant it.

My personal opinion is I would rather have it and not use it than need it and not have it. :)

When you exclude polls and political opinions put forth by people who have an agenda one way or the other, and walk around the city you will not encounter a "Wild West" atmosphere in NYC.
Crime certainly exists but not to make carrying personal protection necessary.

Back on subject, my personal carry choice would be a snub nose hammerless double action wheelgun.:)

rongoms

Familiar Face
yeah, i'm with Story, it truly depends on a multitude of factors how and where i carry the hardware.

I'm truly not a fan of shoulder holsters, though there are times when they're the best option.

I still do a lots of jewlery courier work and most of that is spent sitting, therefore, a crossdraw is preferred. For bodyguard work, strong-side is my first choice.

I know there are plenty of people who sy you should carrying in the same place all the time in the same way to develop instinct, but i think that's bunk. If you're carrying and don't know EXACTL:Y where your pistol is, you've got much bigger problems....

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Story said:
You might find a personal interest in this article:
http://washingtontimes.com/metro/20070206-115722-3302r.htm

Thanks, that is interesting. I'll keep an eye on that bill. However, it's only a temporary measure, and it doesn't seem that it would lift the ban on selling handguns or transporting them into the city. Someone like me who doesn't already own a handgun (illegally) in the District would have to break the law in order to take advantage of this measure.

Just another instance of the inanity of the DC government. Pass a law that both legitimizes the actions of people already breaking the law and encourages others to break other laws so they can take advantage of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24