Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do I wear on my feet?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I finally got my linen pants hemmed. I've figured out teh jacket and hat I think.

What kind of shoes does one wear with linen? Say it's 80 with humidity, real Southern weather?

It seems like a regular leather shoe would get overly hot, yet I'm pretty sure the sockless Sonny Crocket look isn't period correct... :D

The Shooman

Practically Family
When l used to wear rubber soled shoos my feet always got hot. ln the hot weather, wear leather soled shoos ONLY. Never wear dress shoos without socks.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hear linen and think brown or cream too.

I like the spectators idea, the fabric would allow for the foot to breathe more than a polished leather. And avoid salt stains.

As far as espadrilles go...

I just checked out some Marc Jacobs and I don't have the calf to pull them off, and those ribbons... :D

The men's sandel type I found look very casual. Would they look out of place with a jacket in town? Do you have a link or picture?

I pretty much wear leather upper shoes with everything. Boots when I'm outdoors and sneakers now just for working out or running the laundry upstairs. Sandels I just wear at the beach or when boating or doing waterwork.

But my perspective may be all atilt.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Another idea: tan or dirty bucks. Like the middle ones here:

7345.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
carebear said:
As far as espadrilles go...

The men's sandel type I found look very casual. Would they look out of place with a jacket in town? Do you have a link or picture?
I wear these espadrilles (no ribbons ;) ) with suits and sportcoats of linen and seersucker, sans socks and tie. It's casual wear in NYC/Chicago and dress in Miami/Caribbean.

Shoes190.jpg

They're by Topsider; comfortable, well made and deck friendly.

SPE056915.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I gotta agree with Orgetorix. Bucks are awesome, and the crepe sole is great in the summer. The khaki look best, IMHO, with just about any shade of linen. You can't go wrong with the brown, though. If you don't like crepe soles, go with the Bass Gunslinger. Can't beat the name, anyway! :p

Another option, a pair of brothel creepers. They look good with shorts, too! Ask Baggers!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Linen suits

I have about 10 linen suits. Yeah my wife asks me why too - this is the same woman who goes round all summer in linen! Apropros linen. I find even the lightest wool or poly wool suit is hotter than linen because line can get sweaty in 30+C/100F - then the wicking/evaporation kicks in.

Re the shoes to wear with such clobber.

I wear a light English tan with the cream ones and black with the navy suits. An Italian complemented me on the tan with cream look one day when she said - people get it wrong with dark shoes. Who is to know? Wearing cream linen in Australia is still pretty daring when it should be obvious - it is seen as being a bit Italian - though when you do people comment positively because they want to do it but are afraid.

Bucks are basically unknown in Aussie and espadrilles are something girls wear or you wear on the Greek Island holidays. Many have rope inner soles and fall away at the back so they don't grip the foot. Maybe the above ones are the answer.

I have never seen anyone in Australia wear spectators but I think that moment is about to arrive and then you will see a few comments!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Orvis Bucks

Mojave Jack said:
I gotta agree with Orgetorix. Bucks are awesome, and the crepe sole is great in the summer. The khaki look best, IMHO, with just about any shade of linen. You can't go wrong with the brown, though. If you don't like crepe soles, go with the Bass Gunslinger. Can't beat the name, anyway! :p

Another option, a pair of brothel creepers. They look good with shorts, too! Ask Baggers!

Orvis must love you Jack - the tan ones are not available till May 2007 - but with the Aussie drought so bad I would not be surprised to wear them in the midle of the Sydney Winter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy