Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

smoothsailor

One of the Regulars
great thread, interesting to read it all.
My name is Paul 44 yrs. I have been tattooing profesionaly for the last 17 yrs and shop owner for the last 5.
After being send away from school, my first job was at a game arcade, pretty depressing. Moved to be a mail man [kid] at a office building. Was fun but not challenging . Joined the navy, interesting 4 yrs. Became a bartender at night and apprenticing for tattooing during the day.
I stumbled on the lounge looking for a flight jacket, found out about m422A jackets and bought one from eastman. It was to small but I was to stubborn to admit. Wore it of and on but never really felt it. Sold it recently.
No leather jackets for me now, can,t decide which one.
I mostly hang out at the hat forum. Have a small collection Art Fawcett hats.

bkarma

New in Town
I work IT for IBM in NY . I have my Wested Leathers India Jones raiders Jacket in copper novapelle, on all day. I use it instead of the traditional workplace sport jacket/blazer. Im here looking for "Fortune and Glory", this way Im always prepared.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I'm a Chemist; this isn't a real "on the job" picture but it's pretty close to how I look (feel) when working...

Chemist.jpg

Last edited:

MacAero

New in Town
Thx guys for the chance to tell a bit about myself as a noob to this fabulous forum. Man, am I happy that I found it :) Well, what to say? I'm in my fifties, married, no children. Living and working self-employed as a journalist and conceptionist in financial and corporate communications. Addicted in the thirties style of mens wear, hats freak (fedoras of all kind) and a true fanboy of aero leather jackets. LOL, but who isn't? At the moment waiting for a nice button front half belt (brown FQHH) from aero's sales offers page. While I'm waiting for delivery I'm sitting in the garden of our home in the Taunus hills near Frankfurt, enjoying a glass of Barbaresco, bellyrubbing one of our Siberian cats. Life has it's moments... This must be one of'em ;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Yesteryear???? That was absolutely priceless!!!! I've always had a soft spot for "mad scientists" ever since the original Frankenstein. Thanks I needed a laugh!

Worf

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I retired two weeks ago. 33 years with the State of New York inspecting electric and gas transmission line construction (the BIG cross country ones NOT the ones on your street). I'm kinda figuring out the ins and outs of being able to sleep long as I want, hit the gym when I want and basically wander round the house buck nekid all day. But I'm sure things will change soon...

Worf
Congratulations Worf!

I have another 14yrs before I can think about retiring.
Well I can think about it now, but I can't afford to do it.
I'm the manager of a department with our local government.
Our department takes care of parks, a cemetery, surplus furniture/vehicles, and over 5K properties owned by the government because someone didn't pay their taxes.
Someone asked for a picture of what you wear for work...I don't take photos of myself, so I'll just say "khaki or black dress pants, and a nice button down long or short sleeve depending on the temps." There is no uniform, but being a manager I must at least dress the part. :D
Here is a picture of my office, and yes it was staged so I had a clean desk. I can assure you my desk is never that clean.
office2.JPG

Retired seven years ago from a municipal police dept. at the age of fifty after twenty five years. I had planned on staying for thirty but after four administrative changes (chief), with an upcoming fifth, I decided I had enough bad memories to last a lifetime and walked away. During my tenure I worked patrol (every shift), traffic (motorcycle cop), bicycle patrol, narcotics, community oriented patrol unit (PR, neighborhood watch and such), street crime unit and detective bureau. For fifteen of the twenty five years I was also assigned to the departments Special Response Unit (SWAT team). Spent six years as the sgt. over that unit.

I usually don't tell folks about what I used to do because it seems most everyone has a "cop" story they want me to hear.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Currently, I'm a stay-at-home mama. When Lily's in school full time (starts Kindergarten in September), I'll go back to work. I've previously been a law library clerk, engineering technical assistant, and a new-hire trainer. Being mama is the hardest job of all.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Some days it is touch-and-go with her. She is definitely a firecracker. I do a happy dance each night after she is in bed asleep because I made it through another day.

My goal is for her to get through school with good grades, get scholarships to college, complete her degree (in whatever she chooses - hopefully something that pays well), so she can support herself, live on her own, and be a positive contributor to society. :D

SGTROCK

One of the Regulars
I am an Airfield manager for the USAF. I have recently accepted a position with the Navy as Airfield Manager at Guantanamo bay Cuba

Flying the big white, blue and yellow birds.
trusting PC/PLC hard and software as well as prime world class aviation engineering... as well as ground staff crews and all others participating in making my job most enjoyable...
Here thx to all for their 26 years of participation and superbe work and support.
Love you all!!!

Last edited:
Flying the big A...Bus..ses... with a lot of you here ,,,being sometime in your jackets as guests ...Passengers names lists known to the Crews ( even prior 9/11)... always you here as being my very special welcomed guests.
Enjoy it.

Last edited:
Retired seven years ago from a municipal police dept. at the age of fifty after twenty five years. I had planned on staying for thirty but after four administrative changes (chief), with an upcoming fifth, I decided I had enough bad memories to last a lifetime and walked away. During my tenure I worked patrol (every shift), traffic (motorcycle cop), bicycle patrol, narcotics, community oriented patrol unit (PR, neighborhood watch and such), street crime unit and detective bureau. For fifteen of the twenty five years I was also assigned to the departments Special Response Unit (SWAT team). Spent six years as the sgt. over that unit.

I usually don't tell folks about what I used to do because it seems most everyone has a "cop" story they want me to hear.

I wouldn't be a cop nowadays if they paid me millions.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm an editorial assistant for two academic journals about the Great Plains. On the side, I write freelance articles for America in WWII magazine and I'm working on my sixth novel (my agent is shopping my fifth novel around to publishers).

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Currently, I'm a stay-at-home mama. When Lily's in school full time (starts Kindergarten in September), I'll go back to work. I've previously been a law library clerk, engineering technical assistant, and a new-hire trainer. Being mama is the hardest job of all.

Being a mama is SO HARD. I had two stepsons (ages 5 and 6) when my daughter was born in 2000 and I stayed home with all three of them for two years before going to graduate school. I'm surprised I was sane after that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara