Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

A-1

One Too Many
I also really enjoy this thread! Thanks for all the honest contributions, it's a good read. As always a great variety of experiences and knowledge to learn from.

I was a long-time lurker and in the beginning found it somehow strange how grown-up men, obviously, make photos of themselves and put them up here. However I've learned so much from everything I've read and all the fit pics saved me a lot of money:). Much obliged!

For my work as a teacher in Germany I can virtually wear everything I want. At this time it's mostly a pair of rogue territory indigo officer pants, lvc t-shirt, merino wool sweater and the BK 'Loki' jacket. I'm constantly switching between different boots.

Ah, one more thing. I'm learning a lot language-wise as well here. Many of you have a great style of writing. I love how Brett comes up with new (for me) word creations every time, Chris' sarcasm and HD's and Craig's way with words. Thanks again!

Why, that makes me a real youngster!

Same here. But back when I began lurking, though, there was a lot more talk about vintage overcoats and other outerwear stuff that wasn't leather, and now it's just almost exclusively leather jackets. Not that I complain, just that I hope the guys who were into different outerwear don't mind us rambling on about jackets all the time. :D

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Same here. But back when I began lurking, though, there was a lot more talk about vintage overcoats and other outerwear stuff that wasn't leather, and now it's just almost exclusively leather jackets. Not that I complain, just that I hope the guys who were into different outerwear don't mind us rambling on about jackets all the time. :D

Leather, yes. Plus I have developed an appreciation for satin/nylon jackets as well. The leather is cool, has panache, etc., but the nylon is lightweight, much warmer and very rain repellent. And less $$$.

My "on the job uniform" is very military officer type. A Navy or Air Force Lieutenant or Captain is what we look like, complete with stripes and officers hat. Our uniforms originated with the Clipper Ships Captains, which Pan Am copied for their flight crews. Thought about posting an "on the job" photo.

Yes, it is tough living up to my "Sky-god" reputation...

Pan Am Pilot.jpg

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
I also really enjoy this thread! Thanks for all the honest contributions, it's a good read. As always a great variety of experiences and knowledge to learn from.

I was a long-time lurker and in the beginning found it somehow strange how grown-up men, obviously, make photos of themselves and put them up here. However I've learned so much from everything I've read and all the fit pics saved me a lot of money:). Much obliged!

For my work as a teacher in Germany I can virtually wear everything I want. At this time it's mostly a pair of rogue territory indigo officer pants, lvc t-shirt, merino wool sweater and the BK 'Loki' jacket. I'm constantly switching between different boots.

Ah, one more thing. I'm learning a lot language-wise as well here. Many of you have a great style of writing. I love how Brett comes up with new (for me) word creations every time, Chris' sarcasm and HD's and Craig's way with words. Thanks again!

Even as a native "English" speaker, I have picked up plenty of new phrases from members around the world. Occasionally I see something and have to think for a moment as to whether it's a compliment or not.

Peacoat

Bartender
Even as a native "English" speaker, I have picked up plenty of new phrases from members around the world. Occasionally I see something and have to think for a moment as to whether it's a compliment or not.

Yes, the Brits have their own slang which is sometimes a bit difficult to follow. Cooperson is nice enough to help me out when I get confused.

Stand By

One Too Many
Wot'cha mean? It's all just eggs, bacon and beans and a fried slice! Sorted.

If it's any consolation, I had to occasionally watch The Wire with subtitles. And the odd line in NYPD Blue. It works both ways!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Yes, the Brits have their own slang which is sometimes a bit difficult to follow. Cooperson is nice enough to help me out when I get confused.

Ha ha, don't forget a jacket 'looks the business' and 'fits a treat', not 'fits the business' and 'looks a treat' :-D

pawineguy

One Too Many
Wot'cha mean? It's all just eggs, bacon and beans and a fried slice! Sorted.

If it's any consolation, I had to occasionally watch The Wire with subtitles. And the odd line in NYPD Blue. It works both ways!

Haha, yes, it definitely goes both ways... The Wire, on the other hand, is not easy to follow for those of us who are native to the Northeastern U.S.

bbq

Familiar Face
Looks like I'm jumping in here late. It's been very interesting and fun to see what everyone does in real life. I guess it's a clue into how we all got here.

My name is Dan and have had a number of careers. Now I'm one of the happily retired ones. Some days I wonder why I waited. (Then it comes to me - money.) I live in southern Maine near the coast with my wife of many years and Fred the greyhound. He's the 6th one we've adopted. All have been ex racing dogs, too old or injured to run.

I got into leather in 1970. After college, I was a leather worker for 6 years and owned a leather and record store (for those who remember vinyl). I made wallets, sandals, bags, briefcases, belts and various custom stuff. Of course, up here there was a hot market for snowshoe harnesses. I had a number of custom jackets and still own a leather peacoat and vest from that era. Unfortunately, I can't fit into either although I still hope. After that, I had a series of interesting and varied jobs (professional musician, computer consultant, university professor).

When our son was ready for school, I started thinking about public education and eventually went back to school to get certified as a teacher. I retired after 20 years of being a math teacher. This was a very rewarding, challenging and usually fun career. Towards the end the increasing regulations and requirements got to me.

Now I take long walks with Fred in my breaking in Hercules. It's beautiful country and coast in our area. Going to be too warm for that in a while, so I'm thinking about the next step. Most people think of Maine as seafood and lobsters. I like them fine but love to make basic BBQ (ribs, pulled pork and brisket). Getting better every year and make what many think is good sauce with a kick.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great thread Guys! Have really enjoyed your posts & finding out about you & your life. Thanks for sharing :)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I'm taking my boys over to London next year and I'm teaching them any slang I learn on here so that they'll be prepared.
Most people have heard of cockney rhyming slang, it's still used, but dated. Some famous rhymes slipped into mainstream, for example: "Use your loaf." Loaf of bread......head. Meaning, think about it. But by and large, it's more contrived nowadays. For the slang of students and the young, you and your boys might be amused by this slang dictionary: http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/index.htm

pawineguy

One Too Many
Pawnieguy, can I suggest a visit out to Duxford if you have time to go.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am waiting to see what the itinerary is going to be and then how much free time we'll have on our own. I use a very good tour company that specializes in giving kids great experiences without boring the adults (and vice versa), and they usually have give you an afternoon or two in a city to go explore on your own, so once I know that I can plan out a side trip or two.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Most people have heard of cockney rhyming slang, it's still used, but dated. Some famous rhymes slipped into mainstream, for example: "Use your loaf." Loaf of bread......head. Meaning, think about it. But by and large, it's more contrived nowadays. For the slang of students and the young, you and your boys might be amused by this slang dictionary: http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/index.htm

Thank you! I'm going to print that out to share with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou