Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do You Guys Think about an A1 Type with a Leather Collar?

majormajor

One Too Many
Perhaps Aero could do a buttoned version of the Waterfront, but without the reversable option.

It would then effectively be just the same as this jacket.

And, for me, it would be a great replacement for some of the jackets deleted from their range recently.

A great alternative to an A2, but retaining the leather collar, rather than the wool of the A1. Dressier IMHO....

They could call it the "Waldo"!! I'd certainly buy one:D

waldoe.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
This is my A-1 style jacket that I attached a leather collar.
DSC_0569.jpg

I like that it's all buttons instead of snaps at the bottom.
DSC_0568.jpg

I got the idea from my 1930s style Menlo jacket (Levis)

DSC_0572.jpg
DSC_0576.jpg

I used Barge cement to spot weld along the inner seams , later my shoe tailor
will adjust or sew where I think it needs to be done.

DSC_0563.jpg

For me the bonding holds 100 % better than the Barge tube type.
DSC_0577.jpg

I also have an A-1 with the original collar made by Willis & Geiger.
DSC_0571.jpg

Now I have both styles. It may not be authentic or "correct", but it helps to
pass the time waiting for my GW order…& that is one jacket that will in no way
be customize…period!:D

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I keep going back and forth. Maybe I do want an A1 with a leather collar, but my question is: Is the A1 as trim as the A2?

There are several makers of these jackets. Not all are the same trim,style or material.
Check the Good Wear site for starters. There's a plethora of info with regards to these jackets.
Like I discovered, there's no such thing as one A-2 jacket. Names like Roughwear,Dubow, Weber
& other labels will become clearer. Some are cut fuller , while others have a slimmer fit. Check it
out ! ;)

guygardner

A-List Customer
Perhaps Aero could do a buttoned version of the Waterfront, but without the reversable option.

And, for me, it would be a great replacement for some of the jackets deleted from their range recently.

A great alternative to an A2, but retaining the leather collar, rather than the wool of the A1. Dressier IMHO....

They could call it the "Waldo"!! I'd certainly buy one:D

waldoe.jpg

Nice design. I prefer the leather collar myself.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
From the book Art Of The Flight Jacket. Private purchase A-1/A-2 with a 571st squadron patch. Notice the button holes are under a storm flap. Nice feature but maybe slightly tricky to button up.

007.jpg

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
This is my A-1 style jacket that I attached a leather collar.
DSC_0569.jpg

I like that it's all buttons instead of snaps at the bottom.
DSC_0568.jpg

2Jakes, who originally made the A-1 copy (that you modifed)? It looks like cape and aside from the high pockets, I like the colour/pattern.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The A-1 that I have with the leather collar is 10 years old & has gone thru a lot of wear.
The leather is cape & not the horsehide russet that is currently offered.
They provide custom work so you can place the pockets where you want or the leather of your choice !
But , just like a brand new pair of 501s…."you gots to break them in " :D

Edward

Bartender
IMHO the A2 isn't dressier, it's more utilitarian and a step closer to the MA1 nylon jackets which have a completely casual appearance.

I'm inclined to agree on the A1 v A2 front. During Autumn and Spring I wear my leather to the office a lot over a shirt and tie (sometimes with a waistcoat - not the 30s Halfbelt, though, it's too slim cut for a waistcoat over a shirt!). Some of them do feel a bit "dressier" than others. The Highwayman somehow feels much more casual than the Halfbelt or Bootlegger. An A2 feels less 'dressy' to me than any comparable leather jacket without knits. Not sure why, but there you go.

FWIW, I've even worn a B15C and a B15C Mod to the office over collar and tie when the weather calls for it (not quite as warm as shearling, but close, and much better in heavy rain). Definitely more casual jackets than any of my leathers.

I have one of the original all-wool Waterfront jackets. Love it. I'd really like to see this design rejigged to have a button front, and in different colours. (Love the green, but a different fastener alone wouldn't be enough for me to justify a second one). A tartan wool Aeromarine would be a thing of beauty too.

From the book Art Of The Flight Jacket. Private purchase A-1/A-2 with a 571st squadron patch. Notice the button holes are under a storm flap. Nice feature but maybe slightly tricky to button up.

007.jpg

Nice. I have a mental picture of a season officer rejecting the zipped-front A2 proffered as a replacement for his worn-out A1, and going to a private tailor, wel versed in A2alikes, looking for "something in between these...".

This one might interest the OP - a new jacket released by Bill Kelso (the Waldo Pepper) in Lambskin - looks beautiful to me.

Looks great. I'd shred lambskin in no time myself, but that's my own issue. This is a nice looking take on the A1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay