Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys use on your shoes/boots?

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Depends on the boots. I try to go with what is recommended by either the manufacturer or the tannery that supplied the leather. On my Wesco's, I use their own Wesco Bee Oil and Wesco Bee Seal Plus products. On my Alden 403 Indy boots and my Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots (made of Chromexcel cowhide), I use Zoe's Venetian Shoe Cream. I've also got some Obenhaufs Heavy Duty LP for things like the leather on my pac boots.

I was always told by saddlemakers and other leatherworkers to avoid silicone, as it can be hard to strip off, and can sometimes prevent future leather dressings from penetrating properly. Likewise any of the Lexol offerings that leave a shiny, shellac-like finish, for the same reason. I like products with rendered animal fat and beeswax, like R.M. Williams Saddle Dressing. Been using it for at least 20 years, and it never has damaged or over-penetrated any leather item I've put it on. Not cheap, and not as easy to find as it was 10 years ago, but worth the trouble. Big Bend Saddlery has it for sale. Frank.

Frank: Have you ever used the beeswax on a jacket?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy